Excelle Sports Top 10 List | The Boneyard

Excelle Sports Top 10 List

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Certainly better than those imbeciles that picked Duke #44 in their preseason rankings for this past year.

I think Stanford should be ranked in the top 10....... Marquette is a bit high.... not sure if the author is a Marquette grad or not. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do not see Baylor as No 2., nor Miss State at 5. Both lost too much imo. Baylor might be a 5. I wouldn't have Miss State in the top 10.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting read. Off season transfers will effect some of the rankings.

Ohio State only has 9 players on the roster. More interesting than that is the fact they have 2 RS Seniors, 3 seniors, and 3 RS Juniors. They could potentially lose 8 players after this season IF the RS Juniors get degrees and decide to potentially Grad transfer. They have ZERO recruits for 2017 or 2018 thus far. Really interested to see how that story unfolds over the course of the season.

**Kianna Holland is listed as the 3rd RS senior but I remember reading she was giving up basketball due to injures.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No. 10 is too high for Marquette but somewhere in the 15-20 range is not unreasonable. Marquette had some impressive wins over Arizona State, Oregon State and Depaul last season, but of course had some wtf losses as well. Marquette lost a close one to Quinnipiac in the first round of the NCAA tournament; Quinnipiac then beat Miami to reach the S16 where it lost convincingly to South Carolina.

Marquette returns its top 5 scorers from last season and I think has a shot at beating Tennessee this coming season. Transfer Tori McCoy won't be eligible until the 2018-2017 season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even with the loss of Diamond, I'd probably put the Lady Vols at 10th over Marquette. However, my 10th would be Stanford. Tara is too good of a coach not to have a team challenging to be in the Top 10.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I wouldn't have Baylor #2. I might swap them with Texas. Notre Dame is a bit of a unknown because of Turner. Will she play? If so and if healthy. She adds A lot.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Marquette seems wrong here. They are good, but not THAT good. Stanford seems a worthy replacement, but better than 10, I think. I agree that Miss State belongs on the list, but not at 5. Maybe 9 or 10.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the OP but personally have little to no use for preseason polls. This especially when done on April 5th. We know both Grey and Davis are off to their WNBA careers and no longer available to Dawn as seniors.
Way too many injury and freshmen with cold feet / change of mind situations to actually predict with any accuracy. Having said that I do agree with any poll prediction that has UConn at the top next year no matter when it is taken. This roster looks to be one of Luigi's deepest teams in years... :)

Reaction Score
I'm glad Nuyoika posted it. Always fun to have something--anything--to read and/or talk about.

What I find amazing about it, however, is no mention of the RS on UConn. Certainly, by then Z had managed to create an incredible amount of buzz with Rebecca and esp. Kara. Of course, with what Geno has said since, expectations are beyond the roof.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't understand the hype with Baylor...it has been 5 straight years without a Final Four and they've consistently underperformed. I also think they lose a lot more than they gain and I just don't see them being a Final Four team unless Cox dramatically improves and a guard steps up as a consistent 10-15ppg scorer. They'll likely put together another stellar record again weak competition and then bow out to a challenge tested team in the regionals. Texas should be a more dangerous squad than Baylor, especially if Boothe is as good as advertised and Holmes makes a smooth sophomore jump in the second part of the year.

Mississippi State should be rock solid again next year with Vivians/William/McCowan all back. Not sure why so many people are sleeping on them. They lose some experience and a lot of role players, but the glue is back from their runner up team.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
To be honest the fact that he referenced Kenny Kallina pretty much made me doubt everything he had written before that & after. Kallina has some of the worst Top 25 pre-season lists I have ever seen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No mention of Azura or Batouly.

I may take in a Marquette game. I plan to visit my granddaughter, who will be a frosh (non athlete) at Marquette.

Reaction Score
I do not see Baylor as No 2., nor Miss State at 5. Both lost too much imo. Baylor might be a 5. I wouldn't have Miss State in the top 10.

After reading comment after comment about Baylors "exceptional" Schedule and what it may do to their NCAA ranking---Waaat?
My belief with Ms ST. They deceived some teams last year--and sneaked up on some (not USC)-
you can put money on this: Geno won't fall for the same game EVER again--besides, he has DEPTH and can press and hold MS St beyond half court--and equal or out rebound them (I believe the latter).
Last years Frosh--learned bushels --and will be an asset this year.

Evil minds run in the same channels.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are going to oversell Oregon in the preseason rankings. Their run to the Elite 8 was impressive...but they went 8-10 in Pac 12 play last year. They should definitely improve on that, but they have a lot to prove still. I'm more impressed with a team that plays consistently well over 30 to 35 games than one that gets hot for a short stretch. Or maybe a team that got kinda lucky and was able to take down some vastly overrated teams from back East during the Tourney perhaps?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nothing against the OP but personally have little to no use for preseason polls. This especially when done on April 5th. We know both Grey and Davis are off to their WNBA careers and no longer available to Dawn as seniors.
Way too many injury and freshmen with cold feet / change of mind situations to actually predict with any accuracy. Having said that I do agree with any poll prediction that has UConn at the top next year no matter when it is taken. This roster looks to be one of Luigi's deepest teams in years... :)

Who is this Grey? Is she related to Chelsea Grey ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Head bangHead bangHead bang

Reaction Score
gfdd'
]44
No mention of Azura or Batouly.

I may take in a Marquette game. I plan to visit my granddaughter, who will be a frosh (non athlete) at Marquette.
McGuires Court---I liked that guy- and his brother-New York thru and thru-he did all he could to put Marquette on the BB map.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are going to oversell Oregon in the preseason rankings. Their run to the Elite 8 was impressive...but they went 8-10 in Pac 12 play last year. They should definitely improve on that, but they have a lot to prove still. I'm more impressed with a team that plays consistently well over 30 to 35 games than one that gets hot for a short stretch. Or maybe a team that got kinda lucky and was able to take down some vastly overrated teams from back East during the Tourney perhaps?

Or two teams with valuable starters out with injuries.. ???

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you. But as Bags27 said it's nice to have something/anything about WBB to talk about--or we'll all end up in the cesspool (again).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Or two teams with valuable starters out with injuries.. ???

Who was Maryland missing? OK, I probably overstated that. I know Duke was missing their PG. Still, Oregon was totally middle of the pack team in the Pac 12 and beat the best from the Big 10 and one of the best from the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who was Maryland missing? OK, I probably overstated that. I know Duke was missing their PG. Still, Oregon was totally middle of the pack team in the Pac 12 and beat the best from the Big 10 and one of the best from the ACC.

Temple was missing their second best player.... and interior player I believe.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a particularly superficial poll missing many key issues as a number of folks have pointed out: no mention of UConn red shirts, glossing over Baylor's personnel losses to put them at #2 (from the looks of their schedule Kim certainly doesn't think the Bears are #2), focusing on the TX freshmen while ignoring their outstanding veteran guard tandem, etc. Sort of a "puff" piece IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to Temple as one of the overrated teams.

I know, just saying they were fortunate to escape by the hair of their beaks in the 1st round....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom