Ex-Wildcat Derek Anderson trashes Calipari's coaching in 2014 NC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ex-Wildcat Derek Anderson trashes Calipari's coaching in 2014 NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Cal's mistake was abandoning the zone, which he used with a lot of success in the second half. We managed a couple of hoops against it and he stopped, but their size was giving us trouble.
If daniels doesn't get the phantom second fouls with 6-8 left in first half the game would've gotten away from them. The only player on that team that gave us trouble was young

Reaction Score
Not sure about personel but its not like they didn't try, in fact they tried hard to stop both Bazz and Boat. It was just an impossible task, not just for uk but every team we played.

Simply saying we had not only the best tandem in the tourney but an unstoppable tandem.

What he said is correct though stop them and you win, but it wasn't that simple.

Anderson is talking about pressing and trapping, that is part of Louisville's defense, we're saying the Harrisons were not the guard tandem to play that type of D to the effectiveness that Russ Smith and Chris Jones were able to. Not talking effort, its about the gameplan.

Reaction Score
while pressing wasn't really feasible vs a guy like napier, I think andersons point on coaching wasn't completely off. he should have mentioned cal not running any kind of offense... KO runs what he calls 'circle action' which is just a bevy of pick n rolls, but this makes everybody on the court effective pnr players/rollers. calipari has relied on his size to create second opportunities and clean the defensive glass, for years.

Reaction Score
I mean we won, but we are delusional if we think we would have won if they pressured. We couldn't handle the press all year; even versus lesser teams. This is why cal is not going to sustain himself. Players are seeing that his coaching is not that good and it is more appealing to be an actual story line at the likes of UConn and duke than the ONLY story line at KY.

Reaction Score
I mean we won, but we are delusional if we think we would have won if they pressured. We couldn't handle the press all year; even versus lesser teams. This is why cal is not going to sustain himself. Players are seeing that his coaching is not that good and it is more appealing to be an actual story line at the likes of UConn and duke than the ONLY story line at KY.

Which team, besides Louisville, gave the 2014 team trouble by pressing?

Reaction Score
Temple (who we beat) and houston. I mean we won it all but I don't remember us being very good against the press. But Lville could just be sticking out in my mind.

BUT WHO CARES?? WE WON A GOD DAMN RING

Reaction Score

But not everybody can press. You certainly can't press with slow guards, and the Harrisons are slow.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I mean we won,

...and that is all that matters.

"I don't wanna hear about no contemplating no Muthaforking Ifs!!!" - Jules Winnfield

Reaction Score
Napier & Boatright were playing at such a high-level during the Tourney, they would have shredded a press.

Reaction Score
They held UConn to 60 points. Not sure the defense is to blame, although James Young may be one of the 5 worst defenders I've seen in college.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, UCONN improved and got better. Louisville didn't just crush us because they pressed, though that helped a lot, it was because Daniels hadn't figured things out yet and our offense was tough to watch against most teams. That team learned their roles, found there spots and became great at just the right time. The team that consecutively beat UK, UF, Nova, ISU and MSU easily and methodically doesn't lose to UL by 30 points.

People need to understand, we got better. It was pretty obvious that Giff and Daniels became very good players and even Samuel started imposing his will on people. We got better and we got tough, possibly as a result of UL embarrassing us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky