Ex-Wildcat Derek Anderson trashes Calipari's coaching in 2014 NC | The Boneyard

Ex-Wildcat Derek Anderson trashes Calipari's coaching in 2014 NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah I know, he's not the only one.

“Last year, when we went to the Final Four with (Julius) Randle and them, it was because of pure talent, and the reason we lost? Coaching,” Anderson said. “Why did Louisville beat (UConn) by 30? They pressured their guards. We let the kid Shabazz Napier – he walked the ball up and just shot in our face the whole night. I’m like, did you not watch the tape of Louisville beating them? They pressured these guys.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ex-wildcat-derek-anderson-trashes-john-calipari/ar-BBiUHIT

I guess my question is, did they have the right personnel to do that? I don't think they did. Louisville did though.

Reaction Score
Harrison twins wouldn't have been able to do what Russ Smith and Chris Jones did, and it wasn't just the pressure, that Louisville matchup zone was all the way in Bazz and Boat's head, you could tell by the way Boat told the CT writers he was frustrated they never played them in man defense.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Harrison twins wouldn't have been able to do what Russ Smith and Chris Jones did, and it wasn't just the pressure, that Louisville matchup zone was all the way in Bazz and Boat's head, you could tell by the way Boat told the CT writers he was frustrated they never played them in man defense.

Exactly - and that's Louisville's defense that they practice all year long. You don't just work on that one week and implement it with the success that Louisville had. They certainly had the length to play a tough zone, but they didn't have nearly the speed to put the kind of pressure on that Pitino's team had.

Reaction Score
Exactly but I will say that Cal is a weak in game coach. He was a disaster at the end of the title game against us and the end of the final 4 game against Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Exactly but I will say that Cal is a weak in game coach. He was a disaster at the end of the title game against us and the end of the final 4 game against Wisconsin.

Add the Memphis-Kansas title game too. It's one thing to not foul up 3 because that's your philosophy - it's another to think you should foul and not do it.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They didnt have the personnel to run a full court press or trap defense. They could have stayed in zone and keyed on Bazz. When we ran a high pick just double Bazz and force him to pass. SMU did that twice and got us.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah I know, he's not the only one.

“Last year, when we went to the Final Four with (Julius) Randle and them, it was because of pure talent, and the reason we lost? Coaching,” Anderson said. “Why did Louisville beat (UConn) by 30? They pressured their guards. We let the kid Shabazz Napier – he walked the ball up and just shot in our face the whole night. I’m like, did you not watch the tape of Louisville beating them? They pressured these guys.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ex-wildcat-derek-anderson-trashes-john-calipari/ar-BBiUHIT

I guess my question is, did they have the right personnel to do that? I don't think they did. Louisville did though.

Didn't Coach Calipari state they didn't watch film when preparing for their Final 4 game vs. Wisconsin?

Maybe that's their M.O. Arrogant and moronic, but satisfyingly fitting.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's safe to say that Mr. Anderson won't be getting invited to any weedfests at Drake's mansion any time soon.

Reaction Score
People continually point to the blowout at Louisville As an indicator of that team.
I posted at the time it reminded me of Nova's blowout Lose at Pittsburgh the year they won the NC. Those games were meaningless,as both teams quit in those games. Those teams were similar, as in order to compete that had to maintain a high level of intensity.
I also pointed out that when it looked like Louisville would blow us out at Memphis we actually out scored them the second half.
Many members on this board wrote it off to Rick calling off the dogs. A pretty stupid assumption knowing Pitino's competitive natue.
In fact a valued Louisville poster confirmed that the second half of that game was disturbing for them in that UConn might just be getting better or they were getting flat. That second half proved to be the true indicator of our potential not the anomaly in Louisville.

Reaction Score
I agree that a lot of it is personnel, but Lousiville is just an outlier- they've been in Uconn's head since 2008-2009.

Uconn is 1-9 against Louisville over that time and only a few of those games have been close. Uconn hasn't been dominated like that against a team since the 80s.

It hasn't helped that, historically, Lousiville has been having one of their best runs over the past 7-8 years (since the early to mid 80s), while Uconn has been a very average regular season team over that time.

Reaction Score
People continually point to the blowout at Louisville As an indicator of that team.
I posted at the time it reminded me of Nova's blowout Lose at Pittsburgh the year they won the NC. Those games were meaningless,as both teams quit in those games. Those teams were similar, as in order to compete that had to maintain a high level of intensity.
I also pointed out that when it looked like Louisville would blow us out at Memphis we actually out scored them the second half.
Many members on this board wrote it off to Rick calling off the dogs. A pretty stupid assumption knowing Pitino's competitive natue.
In fact a valued Louisville poster confirmed that the second half of that game was disturbing for them in that UConn might just be getting better or they were getting flat. That second half proved to be the true indicator of our potential not the anomaly in Louisville.

I agree. I thought the second half performance was our kick start to our NCAA tour. run. We out scored Ville 38-34. Shot 50%. Ville hit 15-20 free throws to win the game by ten. We held them to 32% shooting in the second half. Harrell played 39 minutes and Russ Smith 37. I believe that second half performance showed we could play with anyone in the country and it carried over to the NCAA tour. and ended with a NC.

Reaction Score
Not t0 ever defend Cal (would never do that), but a lot of teams thought they could beat UCONN in the tourney based on what they saw them do throughout the regular season. As we know, they were a different team in the Tournament.

BTW… Kentucky managed to lose 10 games during that regular season so they certainly had there shortcomings (but also got hot at the right time)...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Rick plays that type of D all year long every year, UK would never be able to replicate that in 48 hours

having said that, I concur that talent carries UK, not coaching

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
They never even had the lead once, they were multiple adjustments away from winning that game.

I kept waiting for Kentucky's run, which felt inevitable. It never came.

Reaction Score
Cal's mistake was abandoning the zone, which he used with a lot of success in the second half. We managed a couple of hoops against it and he stopped, but their size was giving us trouble.

Reaction Score
I guess my question is, did they have the right personnel to do that?

Not sure about personel but its not like they didn't try, in fact they tried hard to stop both Bazz and Boat. It was just an impossible task, not just for uk but every team we played.

Simply saying we had not only the best tandem in the tourney but an unstoppable tandem.

What he said is correct though stop them and you win, but it wasn't that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom