Evolution of a Thread | The Boneyard

Evolution of a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
A recent thread has now drawn over 100 responses. I've noticed recently that threads of this length seem to go through stages.

Stage One: Contrary positions are expressed
Stage Two: Complaints about the contrary positions are expressed
Stage Three: The contrary positions are hyperbolized for greater complaints

Be that as it may, what disappointed me about a certain thread was the response from triaddukefan (what does that handle mean, by the way?). I tossed out for potential discussion the smackdown of Maryland by Duke this coming year (for those who might have missed it, the egregious thread was started by a Maryland fan). I was anticipating that our resident Dookie would run with it. In a thread that passed the point of politeness and rationality I threw a lob ball for any Terp hater to hit for a home run. Instead, he (she?) gets all rational and argues with the wording smackdown.

Forget Stage Two here, I'm jumping to Stage Three. Triaddukefan, you are an embarrassment to your kind. For your sake I hope CamCrazy did not see your tepid response. I get that you are a visitor here; I get that visitors need to go the extra mile on politeness and rationality .... but that only applies to when YOU ARE DISCUSSING UCONN!!! When we bring up a hated rival here get a little backbone and take the gloves off for crying out loud! Pathetic man. Just pathetic.

Reaction Score
I don't post too often on this site, although I have been reading these threads since it began. However, please explain to me the point of this thread? It seems your intention is to call out and bash a fellow user simply because they did not post in the fashion that you typically see and have come to expect. I find that completely out of line and very disrespectful. To call a user "an embarrassment to your kind" and "pathetic" because they were rational about something (heaven forbid) and did not back your cause is shortsighted at best. This forum is about discussion within the Uconn fan community of a variety of topics in (for the most part) whatever fashion each individual user decides to partake in.

There is NO place in this forum for posts of this nature.

arch

Reaction Score
A recent thread has now drawn over 100 responses. I've noticed recently that threads of this length seem to go through stages.

Stage One: Contrary positions are expressed
Stage Two: Complaints about the contrary positions are expressed
Stage Three: The contrary positions are hyperbolized for greater complaints

Be that as it may, what disappointed me about a certain thread was the response from triaddukefan (what does that handle mean, by the way?). I tossed out for potential discussion the smackdown of Maryland by Duke this coming year (for those who might have missed it, the egregious thread was started by a Maryland fan). I was anticipating that our resident Dookie would run with it. In a thread that passed the point of politeness and rationality I threw a lob ball for any Terp hater to hit for a home run. Instead, he (she?) gets all rational and argues with the wording smackdown.

Forget Stage Two here, I'm jumping to Stage Three. Triaddukefan, you are an embarrassment to your kind. For your sake I hope CamCrazy did not see your tepid response. I get that you are a visitor here; I get that visitors need to go the extra mile on politeness and rationality .... but that only applies to when YOU ARE DISCUSSING UCONN!!! When we bring up a hated rival here get a little backbone and take the gloves off for crying out loud! Pathetic man. Just pathetic.

Digger, I'm guessing you haven't spent much time with Duke fans.

P.S. They're a lot like "Byron"

Reaction Score
response from triaddukefan (what does that handle mean, by the way?).
The name of a Duke business school alumni club is "Triad". That's what I always thought it meant.

JS

Reaction Score
Suggest you go to Tools, navigate to "Facetiousness Perception" and click "enable."

Pending that step, please don't take THIS post too seriously.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The name of a Duke business school alumni club is "Triad". That's what I always thought it meant.
The Triad, or Piedmont Triad, is a tri-city area of NC that includes Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I always thought it meant Triad for the 3 great sports at the formidable Duke University.....Men's basketball, women's basketball, and ......ummmm, well, ummm, ok yea maybe that's not it. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't post too often on this site, although I have been reading these threads since it began. However, please explain to me the point of this thread? It seems your intention is to call out and bash a fellow user simply because they did not post in the fashion that you typically see and have come to expect. I find that completely out of line and very disrespectful. To call a user "an embarrassment to your kind" and "pathetic" because they were rational about something (heaven forbid) and did not back your cause is shortsighted at best. This forum is about discussion within the Uconn fan community of a variety of topics in (for the most part) whatever fashion each individual user decides to partake in.

I'm hoping this was sarcasm......too?

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
"...I.. site... point... and bash a fellow... out of...heaven..."
"... a lot like "Byron"
Lord Byron?

Gentlemen and Moderators,
I regret to report my conclusive analysis of actual quotes in full context shown above from this ”Byron’s” post divulge the skillful (albeit subconscious) use of unique tactics mastered by only one man. That's right; his own words reveal he is undeniably:
The Red Byron!
Snoopy - Red Baron.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of course the OP left out the final and most critical stage of any contentious thread - the posting of a thread about the aforementioned thread.
Luckily digger provided this stage himself so perhaps he was just being modest?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I'm assuming that of course you knew I was being facetious (I actually think of the post as playful, but I'll go with JS on this one), and that this response is facetious as well (unless you rather consider your post playful). But since you asked ("please explain to me the point of this thread?"), while being sporting enough to play along with the tone of my post, I will admit to the REAL reason I made it.

You see, for awhile I've been hovering just a little bit below a 2:1 ratio of posts to likes. No matter what I did I could never quite get over that hump. Then I got a brainstorm. Playful posts usually do well on this site. Oh, sure, there always are a few people who misinterpret it, but having familiarized myself with triaddukefan's (tdf) behavior I was quite sure he would not be offended and in fact play along with it as well, either pretending he was upset when he really knew what was up, sort of like what you did here, or making amends by feigning irrational fanaticism. That way I would accomplish two things, I would divert what was becoming a rancorous thread for the sake of the Boneyard, and I would get over the 2 posts: 1 like ratio.

And it worked!!! I even have a few posts to spare now, which means I can share some long missives I've been working on, and I believe some Boneyarders know just how long a discourse I can provide on some topics. Thanks everyone for helping to make my dream happen!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm assuming that of course you knew I was being facetious (I actually think of the post as playful, but I'll go with JS on this one), and that this response is facetious as well (unless you rather consider your post playful). But since you asked ("please explain to me the point of this thread?"), while being sporting enough to play along with the tone of my post, I will admit to the REAL reason I made it.

You see, for awhile I've been hovering just a little bit below a 2:1 ratio of posts to likes. No matter what I did I could never quite get over that hump. Then I got a brainstorm. Playful posts usually do well on this site. Oh, sure, there always are a few people who misinterpret it, but having familiarized myself with triaddukefan's (tdf) behavior I was quite sure he would not be offended and in fact play along with it as well, either pretending he was upset when he really knew what was up, sort of like what you did here, or making amends by feigning irrational fanaticism. That way I would accomplish two things, I would divert what was becoming a rancorous thread for the sake of the Boneyard, and I would get over the 2 posts: 1 like ratio.

And it worked!!! I even have a few posts to spare now, which means I can share some long missives I've been working on, and I believe some Boneyarders know just how long a discourse I can provide on some topics. Thanks everyone for helping to make my dream happen!

I was always proud of my post/like ratio but with over 2000 posts, I'll never get there. Congrats!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was always proud of my post/like ratio but with over 2000 posts, I'll never get there. Congrats!

You know I had to Like this reply for you. I'm afraid neither of us will catch up to Kibitzer with our ratios .... unless, perhaps, we form a pact.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Are you sure that's the reason you'll never get there?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

darnit.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
To answer a few of digger's questions

1) Im a He

2) triaddukefan= a Duke fan from the Triad :rolleyes:

Piedmont Triad... Greensboro, Winston Salem, and High Point... Home for one year for the former Hartford Whalers....... and current home of the former Pilot Pen, New Haven Open..

I live in Greensboro.... spent my adolescence in High Point... and I chase women in Winston Salem :D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
To answer a few of digger's questions

Piedmont Triad... Greensboro, Winston Salem, and High Point... Home for one year for the former Hartford Whalers....... and current home of the former Pilot Pen, New Haven Open..
index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom