Evina's Got Everyone's Back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina's Got Everyone's Back

Reaction Score
No What do you do when you lose your star PG and reigning NPOY, along with your backup PG who started 15 games last season, along with your star freshman guard who lead the U-19 World Championship team in assists? Well, if you’re UConn WBB you turn to your 5th-year senior who, not so long ago, lead the TN Lady Vols to two straight NCAA tournament appearances at PG.

We all know Evina came up HUGE in the UCLA game. She played 39 minutes, more than any other Husky, and more than she has played in any game since arriving at UConn. I watched the game again yesterday, and I honestly believe, notwithstanding her missed free throws, Evina was actually better in the second half than the first half when she single-handedly kept UConn in the game.

In the first half when the rest of her teammates were throwing up bricks and airballs, and turning the ball over repeatedly, Evina had to shoulder much of the scoring load, while trying to settle down her team and run the offense. In the second half, as UConn settled down, outscoring UCLA 43-31, Evina was the epitome of a facilitator as Christyn, Caroline, Liv & Dorka all found their “sea legs” and started to show us exactly what we expect from UConn WBB.

Stats do not always present the total picture. But when assessing Evina’s game against UCLA, here are a few to consider. In a game that got very sloppy at times, Evina’s A/TO ratio was a remarkable 7 to 1. That number would have been even higher had some of her teammates made open shots and layups in the first half. On the defensive side, Evina was tasked with covering Jaelynn Penn, one of UCLA’s best shooters. Evina held Penn to 10 points on 5 for 14 shooting, 0 for 5 from the arc, while forcing Penn into a game high 5 turnovers.

Going forward, until the cavalry arrives, UConn will likely depend on Evina more than ever. There will undoubtedly be some really tough battles ahead. No worries….Evina’s got Everyone’s back!
Evina has been a mystery to me since she arrived in college play at UT. As a very highly ranked high school player, she was underwhelming to me in her two years with the Vols. But given the program’s condition, it was hard to say where Evina stood.

When she finally got on the court, injuries seem to impede. Even now she doesn’t seem 100%. Evina was having trouble keeping players in front of her and she wasn’t driving hard to the basket nor was she posting up smaller players.

But Saturday, as you said, Evina put on a show. She shot well and she distributed well. Most importantly, she got up the floor with speed and purpose. Those long drives to the basket were beautiful. Evina looked like the high draft pick she may become.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Evina has been a mystery to me since she arrived in college play at UT. As a very highly ranked high school player, she was underwhelming to me in her two years with the Vols. But given the program’s condition, it was hard to say where Evina stood.

When she finally got on the court, injuries seem to impede. Even now she doesn’t seem 100%. Evina was having trouble keeping players in front of her and she wasn’t driving hard to the basket nor was she posting up smaller players.

But Saturday, as you said, Evina put on a show. She shot well and she distributed well. Most importantly, she got up the floor with speed and purpose. Those long drives to the basket were beautiful. Evina looked like the high draft pick she may become.
When Evina does those length of the court drives she reminds me of an explosive tailback in football who runs by and through the entire opposing team on their way to a touchdown. It’s a beautiful thing. :)

Reaction Score
What always struck me about EV is her body control. Whether on offense or defense she seems to be able to get to the right place on the floor and just plain make the physical adjustment to make the right play.
Of course, not knowing her personally, can't testify as to her communication skills or interaction with the others.
But, judging from the way they all seem to regard "Momma E", and the faith Geno seems to have in her, she is worthy of the respect and acceptance in her leadership role.
Sidebar: I'm hoping that our other "sell sword", Dorka, has likewise begun to find her place in the scheme and is ready to be the strong, assertive presence we thought she would be.
By the way, when I say "sell sword" it's tongue-in-cheek.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When Nika comes back, she should be playing at least 15 minutes for 2 reasons;
1- Relieve Evina and Christyn at the point to give them a blow
2- Change of pace. Transition is our best option to score, and only Paige moves the ball faster up the court than Nika.

Reaction Score
What always struck me about EV is her body control. Whether on offense or defense she seems to be able to get to the right place on the floor and just plain make the physical adjustment to make the right play.
Of course, not knowing her personally, can't testify as to her communication skills or interaction with the others.
But, judging from the way they all seem to regard "Momma E", and the faith Geno seems to have in her, she is worthy of the respect and acceptance in her leadership role.
Sidebar: I'm hoping that our other "sell sword", Dorka, has likewise begun to find her place in the scheme and is ready to be the strong, assertive presence we thought she would be.
By the way, when I say "sell sword" it's tongue-in-cheek.
"Sell sword", I like that. Winter is coming. (Yes, tongue-in-cheek.)

Reaction Score
Love Evina's attitude, intelligence and leadership. I just wish she would learn to finish with the left hand on the left side/

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Love Evina's attitude, intelligence and leadership. I just wish she would learn to finish with the left hand on the left side/
Probably too late to change that part of her game. But if that’s the only flaw in her game, Evina is one hell of a basketball player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom