Evina's Got Everyone's Back | The Boneyard

Evina's Got Everyone's Back

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What do you do when you lose your star PG and reigning NPOY, along with your backup PG who started 15 games last season, along with your star freshman guard who lead the U-19 World Championship team in assists? Well, if you’re UConn WBB you turn to your 5th-year senior who, not so long ago, lead the TN Lady Vols to two straight NCAA tournament appearances at PG.

We all know Evina came up HUGE in the UCLA game. She played 39 minutes, more than any other Husky, and more than she has played in any game since arriving at UConn. I watched the game again yesterday, and I honestly believe, notwithstanding her missed free throws, Evina was actually better in the second half than the first half when she single-handedly kept UConn in the game.

In the first half when the rest of her teammates were throwing up bricks and airballs, and turning the ball over repeatedly, Evina had to shoulder much of the scoring load, while trying to settle down her team and run the offense. In the second half, as UConn settled down, outscoring UCLA 43-31, Evina was the epitome of a facilitator as Christyn, Caroline, Liv & Dorka all found their “sea legs” and started to show us exactly what we expect from UConn WBB.

Stats do not always present the total picture. But when assessing Evina’s game against UCLA, here are a few to consider. In a game that got very sloppy at times, Evina’s A/TO ratio was a remarkable 7 to 1. That number would have been even higher had some of her teammates made open shots and layups in the first half. On the defensive side, Evina was tasked with covering Jaelynn Penn, one of UCLA’s best shooters. Evina held Penn to 10 points on 5 for 14 shooting, 0 for 5 from the arc, while forcing Penn into a game high 5 turnovers.

Going forward, until the cavalry arrives, UConn will likely depend on Evina more than ever. There will undoubtedly be some really tough battles ahead. No worries….Evina’s got Everyone’s back!

Reaction Score
What do you do when you lose your star PG and reigning NPOY, along with your backup PG who started 15 games last season, along with your star freshman guard who lead the U-19 World Championship team in assists? Well, if you’re UConn WBB you turn to your 5th-year senior who, not so long ago, lead the TN Lady Vols to two straight NCAA tournament appearances at PG.

We all know Evina came up HUGE in the UCLA game. She played 39 minutes, more than any other Husky, and more than she has played in any game since arriving at UConn. I watched the game again yesterday, and I honestly believe, notwithstanding her missed free throws, Evina was actually better in the second half than the first half when she single-handedly kept UConn in the game.

In the first half when the rest of her teammates were throwing up bricks and airballs, and turning the ball over repeatedly, Evina had to shoulder much of the scoring load, while trying to settle down her team and run the offense. In the second half, as UConn settled down, outscoring UCLA 43-31, Evina was the epitome of a facilitator as Christyn, Caroline, Liv & Dorka all found their “sea legs” and started to show us exactly what we expect from UConn WBB.

Stats do not always present the total picture. But when assessing Evina’s game against UCLA, here are a few to consider. In a game that got very sloppy at times, Evina’s A/TO ratio was a remarkable 7 to 1. That number would have been even higher had some of her teammates made open shots and layups in the first half. On the defensive side, Evina was tasked with covering Jaelynn Penn, one of UCLA’s best shooters. Evina held Penn to 10 points on 5 for 14 shooting, 0 for 5 from the arc, while forcing Penn into a game high 5 turnovers.

Going forward, until the cavalry arrives, UConn will likely depend on Evina more than ever. There will undoubtedly be some really tough battles ahead. No worries….Evina’s got Everyone’s back!
Thank you for your comments. I agree with your observations about Evina. She is delivering on “unfinished business”. As the other players get healthy and the current team gets consistent, we will have a much stronger team in February, March, and April. A few losses along the way do not concern me.

Reaction Score
It's Evina's team right now. I think she realized it after GT. Many of us have been waiting for her to take command. Once we get the cavalry back, and she gets to rest a little, you should see even more from her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO, the best PG’s have to be able to score to be effective. Otherwise teams can back off them and focus on stopping the other 4 players on the team. Evina has always been able to attack the basket off her dribble, but she has become a really good shooter over the past few years. Evina is second only to Paige on UConn in her ability to get to her spot and score.

The other area that Evina has really improved on since her days as a Lady Vol is her ability to take care of the ball. At times she struggled with turnovers at TN. At UConn her decision-making and execution with the ball is exceptional. Some of Evina’s success is certainly the result of better coaching. But most of her success is the result of her own hard work and maturity.

Reaction Score
I agree. Evina has been the glue holding this team together. She has stepped up her scoring and is the leader of this team. I think her missed free throws were more of a result of having to play so many minutes being the primary guard.

Reaction Score
She was nothing short of heroic against UCLA. I found myself wanting her out of the game as the lead became 14. So much for that, as the game suddenly became interesting. Now she has to somehow be protected, as losing her would be the final straw. On the other hand, she's got to play, and will.

Reaction Score

Great post and Great point about her defense. You could tell she gave everything she had and was bending down a lot at the free throw line which shows she was gassed. When she first joined UCONN I didn’t know what to expect but she has become a favorite player of mine and the epitome of what UCONN is all about. Wishing her continued success because she deserves it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a question for the BY to ponder. If Evina wasn’t playing on a team with Paige Bueckers, is there another team in the country where she would not be the starting PG right now?

Reaction Score
Luckily they have finals and almost 10 days before their next game. Hopefully they will come together more in practice and we might see some of the other guards start coming back after the holidays sans Paige of course. This would take some pressure off Evina.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
i just hope that the knee will hold up under the additional pounding!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well said oldude.

She is not affectionately referred to as Momma E for nothing. The team respects her and what she has accomplished. She is the team's leader.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
When Evina decided to come back to UConn i thought that it was not a great decision for her becouse she would have been a first round pick and not a great decision for UConn as she would have slowed down the progress of Azzi, Caroline Ducharme, etc.,,,well, what do i know...Her play now makes her a top 5 pick as she is proving she can be a lead guard, can pass, score and defend and from the UConn side, if we didn't have Evina i don't know that the current group of players (with all the injuries) is even a top 25 team. She is a true leader and the heart and soul of this team!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Evina decided to come back to UConn i thought that it was not a great decision for her becouse she would have been a first round pick and not a great decision for UConn as she would have slowed down the progress of Azzi, Caroline Ducharme, etc.,,,well, what do i know...Her play now makes her a top 5 pick as she is proving she can be a lead guard, can pass, score and defend and from the UConn side, if we didn't have Evina i don't know that the current group of players (with all the injuries) is even a top 25 team. She is a true leader and the heart and soul of this team!
When I wrote the OP, the question that occurred, “Was there another guard that would go ahead of Evina in this years WNBA draft?” Evina is 6’ tall, does everything well and is a great team player and leader.

Reaction Score
IMO, the best PG’s have to be able to score to be effective. Otherwise teams can back off them and focus on stopping the other 4 players on the team. Evina has always been able to attack the basket off her dribble, but she has become a really good shooter over the past few years. Evina is second only to Paige on UConn in her ability to get to her spot and score.

The other area that Evina has really improved on since her days as a Lady Vol is her ability to take care of the ball. At times she struggled with turnovers at TN. At UConn her decision-making and execution with the ball is exceptional. Some of Evina’s success is certainly the result of better coaching. But most of her success is the result of her own hard work and maturity.
I agree but take you one further: A PG that doesn't shoot well is a liability. The player the defense can lay off is a liability at least on offense.
Question for you: Evina is a pretty good, maybe great against some competetion, she in my opinion will do well in Europe. Question: When Paige comes back, Azzi will have been back for a while then, Will Geno run 3 guards, 1 guard, or rotate PG's ( the obvious answer to the last is, Teams need continuity rotation at PG isn't good. ) Ok, what is it? Evina has earned her minutes, her time at point does she come off the bench??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree but take you one further: A PG that doesn't shoot well is a liability. The player the defense can lay off is a liability at least on offense.
Question for you: Evina is a pretty good, maybe great against some competetion, she in my opinion will do well in Europe. Question: When Paige comes back, Azzi will have been back for a while then, Will Geno run 3 guards, 1 guard, or rotate PG's ( the obvious answer to the last is, Teams need continuity rotation at PG isn't good. ) Ok, what is it? Evina has earned her minutes, her time at point does she come off the bench??
Evina, Paige & Christyn will continue to start imo.

Reaction Score
That was a "ride or die" performance from Evina in the UCLA game.

We've had a number of transfers over the years, but not all of them get to that level of visible commitment (or at least, get to show it so obviously).

I respect it. :cool:

Reaction Score
I have been a big Evina fan since she got here. I remember her body language on the bench the year she sat out. We have been saying here that usually a knee issue like she had is a 2 year turnaround. You are seeing that play out now.

She clearly was deferring to Paige for shots but now has to take them. She shot 40% from the field against the Bruins. Shoot 20 shots against Louisville if you can do that consistently. She also has a solid pull up that she hasn't shown very much that she should use and she should post up also. She has to be in the high teens or more every game in scoring for us to win. I think she knows it's on her now and you will see that she has character big time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom