Evina on a run of Playing Her Best Basketball, including at Tenn | The Boneyard

Evina on a run of Playing Her Best Basketball, including at Tenn

Reaction Score
I have watched Evina since her Tenn days, I don't remember a run of excellent games - punctuated by probably her best in this game against Marquette. During this run, coming off the bench, she immediately shows leadership. Nika often defers to her Momma E when they are on court together but Evina balances by making sure it is a shared responsibility. Last year she was getting over her injuries and surgeries after two years off the court. Likely the healthiest in a while, she is playing with more abandon.

It is beginning to look like Geno can start or play any combination of 9 players (including Paige) for whatever situation or strategy he wants to use against any team to have an advantage and then change it up as things go along to keep the opponent off balance. There is not much drop-off among 9 players and mixing them up in different combinations ensures such potential advantages...

Don Amore's take on Evina:

After a series of difficult games, UConn women’s basketball redshirt senior Evina Westbrook was reassigned from the starter to kickstarter.
“I said, ‘Evina, we don’t have anybody coming off the bench that changes the game, so that’s going to have to be you, and that’s all there is to it,’” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I actually, I think I just said, ‘Nika [Mühl], you’re starting,’ and Evina figured out the rest.”

With Mühl starting and Westbrook coming off the bench most of February, the UConn women’s basketball team began figuring out how best to employ its healthy players. The Huskies have won nine in a row with Westbrook coming off the bench. In those games she’s shooting 58.5 percent as opposed to 37.9 percent in games she started.

The transfer from Tennessee, in her second season playing for UConn, “is the Evina I always thought she’d be,” Auriemma said.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love seeing Evina play well, but more importantly, I love seeing her enjoy herself on the court... Altho I suspect the 2nd may be because of the first.

We may never know, but has anyone asked her what was going on for the early part of the season? She sure was in a funk for a good number of games (so was Aaliyah for that matter). Regardless, so glad she's back to her "old" self!!

sun

Reaction Score
I love seeing Evina play well, but more importantly, I love seeing her enjoy herself on the court... Altho I suspect the 2nd may be because of the first.

We may never know, but has anyone asked her what was going on for the early part of the season? She sure was in a funk for a good number of games (so was Aaliyah for that matter). Regardless, so glad she's back to her "old" self!!
IIRC in last night's post game player presser, Evina basically said that she had a vulnerable discussion with ass't coach Morgan Valley who offered her great advice that she took to heart.
It must have affected her motivation somehow.

Geno had said during his post game presser a number of games ago that Evina didn't have any health problems, at least none that he would share with the public.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Westbrook mentioned a talk she had with Coach Battle and said it was a positive thing for her.

Reaction Score

Evina put pressure on herself at the end of last season. "Unfinished Business!" and I believe she tried to do more than what was comfortable.....since I believe that self-imposed pressure existed, coming off the bench likely made rethink things plus the conversation with Ms. Valley.

Reaction Score
I have watched Evina since her Tenn days, I don't remember a run of excellent games - punctuated by probably her best in this game against Marquette. During this run, coming off the bench, she immediately shows leadership. Nika often defers to her Momma E when they are on court together but Evina balances by making sure it is a shared responsibility. Last year she was getting over her injuries and surgeries after two years off the court. Likely the healthiest in a while, she is playing with more abandon.

It is beginning to look like Geno can start or play any combination of 9 players (including Paige) for whatever situation or strategy he wants to use against any team to have an advantage and then change it up as things go along to keep the opponent off balance. There is not much drop-off among 9 players and mixing them up in different combinations ensures such potential advantages...

Don Amore's take on Evina:

After a series of difficult games, UConn women’s basketball redshirt senior Evina Westbrook was reassigned from the starter to kickstarter.
“I said, ‘Evina, we don’t have anybody coming off the bench that changes the game, so that’s going to have to be you, and that’s all there is to it,’” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I actually, I think I just said, ‘Nika [Mühl], you’re starting,’ and Evina figured out the rest.”

With Mühl starting and Westbrook coming off the bench most of February, the UConn women’s basketball team began figuring out how best to employ its healthy players. The Huskies have won nine in a row with Westbrook coming off the bench. In those games she’s shooting 58.5 percent as opposed to 37.9 percent in games she started.

The transfer from Tennessee, in her second season playing for UConn, “is the Evina I always thought she’d be,” Auriemma said.
The biggest difference to me is the increase in speed and energy by a large percentage. She is the most active, energetic player on the court. Maybe it's coming in off the bench fresh and having seen the game flow but that would not fully account for it. She is just in really good place right now in terms of strength and vigor and it's really been an incredible difference. I think this was her all along and it just is now coming out because she is not worn down. The shots are in flow, follow through is good, cuts are great, she is going to goal, floor game is top shelf and her defense is sick. Right now, she is the best player on the team.

Reaction Score
The biggest difference to me is the increase in speed and energy by a large percentage. She is the most active, energetic player on the court. Maybe it's coming in off the bench fresh and having seen the game flow but that would not fully account for it. She is just in really good place right now in terms of strength and vigor and it's really been an incredible difference. I think this was her all along and it just is now coming out because she is not worn down. The shots are in flow, follow through is good, cuts are great, she is going to goal, floor game is top shelf and her defense is sick. Right now, she is the best player on the team.
Quite true. I really think that it is a combination of three things: 1) she is finally fully healthy, 2) she was able to resolve the self-imposed personal pressure re: "Unfinished Business", and 3) the team is fully behind her even as her role seemingly changed (though in the coach's mind, changed to a more important one, it seems) so when she realized this everything clicked as her last days in college winds down. She is playing freely and with great resolve. Can't ask for more.

Reaction Score
I believe the reason behind the uptick in Evina's performance is straightforward. In the beginning of the year, Geno said one of the reasons he was happy with having a bench is that he could give Evina and her recovering knee a rest from time to time. The opposite happened and there were games she needed to play 99% of the minutes. Ms Clutch now can come in and focus her minutes around the team's needs and has been great!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Evina coming off the bench reminds me of the 2012-2013 season. Remember late in the season when Bria Hartley agreed to come off the bench rather than start?

UConn coach Geno Auriemma wasn't sure how this decision would work out. He was going to remove junior Bria Hartley from the starting lineup in favor of senior Caroline Doty.

Hartley, an All-America selection as a sophomore, started 100 of the first 108 games in her career. But rather than reject the sudden change in role, Hartley, who has been inconsistent this season, has embraced it and has had a significant impact as the Huskies have reached the Final Four for an NCAA-record sixth straight season.

"Every decision you make, you make it with your fingers crossed and you hope that it works," Auriemma said. "This particular decision, it was, `Hey Bria, we need some energy coming off the bench. We need some scoring. We need to change the way the game is played.' You don't know whether Bria is going to pout a little bit and feel sorry for herself and not be sure. But she's come out and done exactly what we want her to do."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was skeptical when I heard Evina was transferring to UConn. She seemed to have an awful lot of talent and very little discipline. I had no idea how much of the lack of discipline was due to the situation at Tennessee.

I'm happy to see her flourishing and very glad she's proven me wrong.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Bleacher Report article in another thread:
"While Westbrook showed flashes of being a two-way combo wing with a sizable WNBA draft stock initially after Bueckers went down, the senior suddenly began playing with more apprehension and less confidence. She was still adjusting to her new role as the Huskies' sixth player, but something else was up.
In mid-to-late January, her former coach died. She had known this person since she was four years old and didn't know how to deal with their death. She tried to push it down and be there for her team, but she realized that she needed to let them be there for her. They would give her unprompted hugs and show her love without saying it. They would say, "We know you don't want to talk about it, but we're here for you even if you want to."
What allowed Westbrook to compartmentalize and reset? It was during a discussion with her position coach, Morgan Valley. Valley understood that Westbrook was grieving while trying to fulfill her responsibilities on the team, and she reminded her how she began the season. "You were playing like you had something to prove," Valley told her.
Since that discussion, Westbrook goes into every game with that initiative in mind."

Reaction Score
So, it wasn't the pressure of "Unfinished Business"? There was a bigger reason! OK, but I wouldn't discount it either when Paige went down......

Good for her and good of Morgan....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom