Evina has unfinished business | The Boneyard

Evina has unfinished business

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We are so lucky to have this young woman at UConn...on and off the court.

Has anyone ever asked Geno why she wasn't offered a schollie right out of high school?
I'm basing this question on an article where Evina said she was so upset about it that her decision to
go to LadyVol was in part to beat UConn [and show Geno he had missed the boat].

Now...even with all the talent on the team..she is not only in the boat but steering it.

Go Evina!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Has anyone ever asked Geno why she wasn't offered a schollie right out of high school?
I'm basing this question on an article where Evina said she was so upset about it that her decision to

Now...even with all the talent on the team..she is not only in the boat but steering it.

Go Evina!
UConn was focused in on Walker (1), Coombs (13), Espinoza-Hunter (16), and Gordon (29), so perhaps Geno and staff had already created relationships with those HS players and weren't considering any others. We have no insight as to whether Evina ever expressed interest in UConn, nor if UConn ever evaluated her.

I'm just happy that she's found a home at UConn and is happy with her decision. It also seems that her family is happy that she is there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Go Evina!
Do you have a link to that article?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just think that Geno viewed Megan Walker as a better player for the wing position and Megan became the priority. AEH was also the first to sign up for UCONN in that class and Geno might have though Evina redundant with AEH at guard spot. TN (for some unknow reason) pretty much had a lock on all the good players ( Mercedes Russel, Jamie Nared, & Jordan Reynolds) form that region of the country back then.

Reaction Score
UConn was focused in on Walker (1), Coombs (13), Espinoza-Hunter (16), and Gordon (29), so perhaps Geno and staff had already created relationships with those HS players and weren't considering any others. We have no insight as to whether Evina ever expressed interest in UConn, nor if UConn ever evaluated her.

I'm just happy that she's found a home at UConn and is happy with her decision. It also seems that her family is happy that she is there.
Great group- 3 transferred and 1 left early.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had my doubts about Evina right into the fall, but she rapidly made be a believer and big fan. She's a vital leader of this team.

Reaction Score
My favorite player. Okay, I'm not an ortho surgeon and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but watching my daughter come back from knee surgery and play college sports, I firmly believe it is a 2 year recuperative cycle so I am looking forward to great things from her.

There were times last year she was clearly deferring, not just making the extra pass. Only she knows what she was feeling but watching film of her rehab last summer, and her having serious motivation this year by The Loss, I am very excited to see what Evina this year brings to the UCONN table.

I'm hoping for a more squared up 3, a willingness to drive and pull up with her Js, and straight drives and finish moves. She has a great floor game and perhaps she will even be stronger off the boards.

But, far and away, the best part about her will always be her. She just exudes character. Own it this year from Day 1. That is the UCONN way.

Reaction Score

Hands down my favorite player. True leader and sacrifices for the good of the team. Love that she is coming back! National Championship #12 next year!

Reaction Score
Love Evina. My favorite player right now.
The fact that she came from TN makes it even better!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
My favorite player. Okay, I'm not an ortho surgeon and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but watching my daughter come back from knee surgery and play college sports, I firmly believe it is a 2 year recuperative cycle so I am looking forward to great things from her.

There were times last year she was clearly deferring, not just making the extra pass. Only she knows what she was feeling but watching film of her rehab last summer, and her having serious motivation this year by The Loss, I am very excited to see what Evina this year brings to the UCONN table.

I'm hoping for a more squared up 3, a willingness to drive and pull up with her Js, and straight drives and finish moves. She has a great floor game and perhaps she will even be stronger off the boards.

But, far and away, the best part about her will always be her. She just exudes character. Own it this year from Day 1. That is the UCONN way.
True - for those of us mortals, it is closer to a 2 year recovery. I did both of my ACLs and even though I was cleared for sports at 12 months, "everything" wasn't in sync until close to the 2 year mark. Balance, reaction, trust, muscle memory, everything.

on edit - college & pro athletes most likely have a massively better rehab system - PTs, equipment, access, than the rest of us, however it still amazes me when they come back in 6 months.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I rooted for Evina all last season after hearing what she did for all the freshmen. Now, after reading this article, and all the trashing she endured from other forums and organizations, we really need to with this NC for her. Her character, empathy, and drive for a dream, is something that really got to me. No matter what THEY say, she is a champion, she is a Husky, lets make her dream a reality. Love her!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom