Evina and Lou2: Do You See a Parallel? | The Boneyard

Evina and Lou2: Do You See a Parallel?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What Evina contributed on the court to last year's team (beyond her off-court "Mama E" role):
  • Guard skills in a big body for a guard (over 6-0);
  • 3-point shooting skill, especially in spurts;
  • Able to contribute both as a starter and off the bench, as needed;
  • Positional flexibility from 1 to 3, and even 4 in a pinch;
  • Experience and maturity (being the grown-up on the floor).
Of course we don't really know what to expect of Lou Lopez-Senechal (aka "Lou2") until we see her play, but based on everything publicly known, does it seem reasonable that she can contribute all of these things to the 2022-23 version of the Huskies?

And the possible deficiencies between Evina and Lou2 are also the same:
  • Newness to the UConn system, for which her previous college-level experience really didn't prepare her;
  • Less than impressive speed and quickness;
  • Defensive shortcomings especially against fast guards.
Personally, I am hoping that Lou2 will be a more consistent jump shooter (from 2-point and 3-point range) than Evina was, but I will be surprised if she handles the ball as well.

In the best realistic case, however, Lou2 can replace just about everything that Evina contributed on the court, and her stats by year-end (including minutes) may be similar. Since Evina had a big role last year, it will be quite important if Lou2 is able to achieve this.

Reaction Score
Initially no, but the way you presented it yes. Good comparison. Actually, Lou may be fundamentally more sound than Evina.She would have lapses of being careless with the ball and making sloppy fouls but you are correct , both tough as nails.

Reaction Score
What Evina contributed on the court to last year's team (beyond her off-court "Mama E" role):
Of course we don't really know what to expect of Lou Lopez-Senechal (aka "Lou2") until we see her play, but based on everything publicly known, does it seem reasonable that she can contribute all of these things to the 2022-23 version of the Huskies?

• Newness to the UConn system, for which her previous college-level experience really didn't prepare her;
Personally, I am hoping that Lou2 will be a more consistent jump shooter (from 2-point and 3-point range) than Evina was, but I will be surprised if she handles the ball as well.

In the best realistic case, however, Lou2 can replace just about everything that Evina contributed on the court, and her stats by year-end (including minutes) may be similar. Since Evina had a big role last year, it will be quite important if Lou2 is able to achieve this.
JoeP--you either know an awful lot more than us average bears, or you are making grand judgements or leaps of faith. I know you know the game, and most of the players.
I haven't seen near enough to judge LOU as slow defender or quality 3 ball shooter.
I can say this (I'm speaking only from my own sad point of view): Evina she ain't. Evina came to us as a quality player from a quality Division one Program. Evina wasn't Paige, DT, Sue, Morgan (Ok, maybe Morgan). She knew the game and many of the players she played against--she was a PLUS from the git go.
I don't deny you are right--I just don't have enough viewing time to say yea or nay.
I certainly hope she is a great as some expect, I've been disappointed before. Heck, I liked Caroline before she wore a Uconn Uni and I waited until she hit a half dozen 3's and hit a game winner or 2.

Reaction Score
It’s an interesting thought. When I think of Evina, a see court savvy, and a tough finisher at the rim. Her outside shot was streaky, but in the biggest moments she came up equally big. Lou has some of those traits: she is a tough finisher, her outside shooting seems to be much better, but she may not have quite the same court savvy. I expect she’ll come up big in the biggest games. It’s a relief to think that she might be able to bring what Evina brought.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Two things: Evina had to sit out a year, so she'd been around UConn and Geno's system for a year before she played a game, and last year was her third at UConn. Second, her contribution to the team can't be measured by her contribution on the court. Off-court, especially during the covid year, her value was much greater than it was on-court.

Reaction Score
Westbrook came to UConn with a damaged knee and a kick in the butt from the Vol fans. LLS came to UConn off a unanimous vote as her conference's MVP.

Reaction Score
Two things: Evina had to sit out a year, so she'd been around UConn and Geno's system for a year before she played a game, and last year was her third at UConn. Second, her contribution to the team can't be measured by her contribution on the court. Off-court, especially during the covid year, her value was much greater than it was on-court.
You warmed the inside of my heart, with your account of Evina. Evina, exceeded expectations of some didn't live up to the HOPES of others. You nailed her. She had MOMENTS on the floor--seemingly at the right times, where she saved games more easily lost. Her presence on the floor and on the bench or practice can't be measured but it is apparent her being there was like Mom was when I was under age 9, the comfort you can't explain. --You nailed Evina's meaning to that team. If Lou can fill those moments of necessity--huge plus, if she can fill Evina's meaning to the team--a Miracle!

Reaction Score

I know we haven't seen Lou play in a UCONN uniform, but from what I've seen in a few workout vids, I don't see it at all.

Reaction Score
The principle similarity is their main role will be similar, providing time mostly at the 2 and the 3. I also think they are roughly the same quality overall, with maybe a slight edge to Lou. They are far more different in their abilities and strengths. I give Lou a big edge on shooting and scoring, and Evina a little better on everything else. Evina also had the ability to play at the 1 or 4, and was exceptionally versatile, but not great at anything.

I think Lou can be called a great shooter, with a three year track record of around 39% 3 point shooting and low 80's free throw shooting. That translates regardless of the level of competition. Evina by comparison was a mediocre shooter. Lou was also a volume scorer, not just a shooter at Fairfield. That is where the quality of competition may come into play. She had the ability to create her own offense, and I think she will here too, but it will be much more difficult against Uconn's schedule.

Evina was valuable as a versatile swiss army knife type player. Lou should be a great shooter and maybe scorer as well, but that is where her main value lies. Perhaps neither is or was a way above average Uconn level starter, but both are the type of reserves any top program would love to have that could play at least two positions.

Caroline was probably a little better than Evina last year and with a significant jump in her sophomore year after hip surgery we could see a big improvement at the 3, with an Evina level but different player in Lou to back up both Caroline and Azzi.

Reaction Score
No one should fault Evina, who played the right way and gave her absolute best. A great player who never got to the level she wanted but she should be happy to be one of the best women basketball players in college last year and an even better human being.

I think Lou is probably not as good defensively but significantly better on offense. Lou is very skilled and will help us forget Paige at least a little. Lou is still underated by most people here in my book. She will surprise many.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Only similarity I see is that they both transferred from other universities. That's it.

Lou will make her mark or not.

I'm expecting her to be a consistent contributor, for a year.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Evina ended up being a solid "first off the bench" contributor, starting 15 out of 36 games. That is likely what we will see from Lou as well, first off the bench, and that will be their major similarity.

Worth noting though that even with that Evina was second on the team in total minutes played, and I doubt that Lou will log that many minutes. I also recognize, though, that like many of the players on the roster this season, Lou may surprise to the upside in a huge way.

Beyond that, though, I suspect that we will observe more differences than similarities.

The manner in which Lou will contribute will look different, of course. Evina was a slasher, a good open court runner, and a streaky but valuable three point shooter. Also a good passer, second on the team in total assists (Olivia beat her out by three). Lou seems to have a more varied offensive game, especially in the halfcourt - I am thinking we will see a lot of curls, pullups, and more consistent higher percentage three point shooting from her. Fewer assists, though. Lou may be a real factor in those tough, slow down, possession by possession nailbiters where offense is tough to come by and every shot is contested. (Evina made her mark in some of those type games as well, especially Stanford.)

Hard to imagine that Lou will be the kind of defender that Evina was, though. Evina led the team in steals and had more rebounds than any other guard. Lou`s ability to defend at the UConn level is a challenge and hopefully she is able to meet it.

As noted by others previously, Evina was a force off of the court. She was loved and respected by her younger teammates who looked up to her. The team is older now and the need for someone to fill that role is not as great. I am sure that Lou has and will develop a great chemistry with her teammates, as she appears to be very personable and a quality individual. She will fit in very well but in a different and perhaps a less prominent way than Evina did. Also, Evina was with the program for three years and had a greater opportunity to make an impact on and off the court.

I am looking forward to seeing Lou play and I am sure she will add a great deal to the team`s success in 2022-2023.

Reaction Score
Don't know about the comparison, however, I believe Lou2 will surprise a lot of people here. Regardless of the level of Fairfield's competition, this kid was by far the best player in that league for at least the past 2 years. Her skill set is there, just needs to be refined to UConn grade.

Reaction Score

Even tho we haven't seen her play yet I believe Lou is and will be a better shooter than Evina while not being as good defensively as her nor a rebounder like E was but I'll take the shooting because I believe in the freshmen along with Dorka, AE and, Aubrey to do a better job and I'm sure Geno will stress crashing the boards early and often this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom