Everything that we’re used to seeing happen | The Boneyard

Everything that we’re used to seeing happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Everything that we’re used to seeing happen the last two years it just isn’t there, and we’re constantly looking to find other ways.

What do you think Geno meant by this (taken out of context; he was talking about Chong). Was he talking about not having Stef and Bria, or what? It seems there is more not less to this team. So I found this so interesting. It must be amazing to come in looking for Stef and she's not there.

Reaction Score
I posted a couple of Geno quotes a few minutes ago which I think sheds some light on that quote. I'm definitely leaning toward "not having Stef and Bria" around any longer . Because they are not there, the team will have to find some variations of what they use to do with the new lineups and new personnel. Utilizing the skills of the current players to their best use.

JS

Reaction Score
Everything that we’re used to seeing happen the last two years it just isn’t there, and we’re constantly looking to find other ways.

What do you think Geno meant by this (taken out of context; he was talking about Chong). Was he talking about not having Stef and Bria, or what?
I think that's exactly what he was talking about. Every time you lose important players there's this challenge to match what you do to the skill sets of their replacements.

And every time the staff seems to meet that challenge by finding other ways to reach the same goal. Q.E.D.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn for most of the last 4 years ran their whole offense through Stef. When she was on the floor good things happened and when she was off the floor the offense tended to struggle. The attention she drew, the range that she had to bring the post defenses away from the basket, and her great skill at passing AND screening made the Uconn offense flow. Hartley was very good but is much easier to replace.
Stokes provides a very different presence in the post - she may have a very effective year, but the pattern of the offense will change without Stef.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
So how to do it now? Will be fascinating to see. Clues from the game?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So how to do it now? Will be fascinating to see. Clues from the game?
Stewarts six assists would be a starting point I think (having not actually seen the game!) Suggests she was taking some of the 'facilitator' role that Dolson played.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewarts six assists would be a starting point I think (having not actually seen the game!) Suggests she was taking some of the 'facilitator' role that Dolson played.
Seems that way.

Reaction Score
It means that there is more than one way to skin a cat. The coaches are smart enough to engineer winning around the skill sets they have rather than force fitting them into yesterday's strategies.

Reaction Score
I think that's exactly what he was talking about. Every time you lose important players there's this challenge to match what you do to the skill sets of their replacements.

And every time the staff seems to meet that challenge by finding other ways to reach the same goal. Q.E.D.

Yes, it will be very difficult to replace two All-Americans, two of the best players in the country- a great passing, screening, rebounding center, and a great, gutty scoring guard. I'm confident Stokes, Nurse and other 'new kids on the bench' will perform well. But I think Geno was ruminating in terms far beyond "skill sets." Clearly he is looking for new ways to run his offense and defense, being short two beautiful, talented players. But teaching X's and O's isn't the challenge for the finest coaching staff in the land. They'll figure out how to replace lost points, rebounds and screens. More importantly, what Geno is "used to seeing happen the last two years" and is now gone, I believe, references the spectacular passion, leadership and heart that Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson brought to every game and passed along to every teammate. As a fan, I could see it, I could hear it, it was palpable every time they took the court. They inspired their teammates; I know they inspired me. We have lost much more than a "big" and a "scorer." Finding someone capable of bringing those essential, National Championship-winning intangibles is critical. I think Geno is still looking for that answer. He, CD and staff have their work cut out for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the big things that Bria brought to the table each and every game, was a willingness to take the tough shot at the most critical times. Finding someone to replace that, will be difficult. He's done okay replacing Becca, Sue, DT, Tina and Maya, among so many others, so I think that he may just have a good idea about what he's doing out there! He does, after all, have 9 more NC's than I do!

Reaction Score
I will be interested to see what defense will be employed vs. ND especially..... and will get a hint vs Stanford...... because the plan will be to go at our center position..... remember when in the midst of their streak vs. us, ND kept driving the basket and getting to the line...... i think they will do more of that...... and we will adjust with Stewie and Morgan shoring up and helping Stokes.....

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
No one, I don't think, doubts his skills and that it will happen, but how he'll do it is what will be fascinating to watch. Makes this year so interesting...and makes me really miss Stef. I think I begin better to understand Geno's tears at the end of the NC game. There was a special bond, for sure. New bonds will come...

Reaction Score

UcM: from what we observed in person, I'd say you hit the nail on the head (once again). She did not seem to be looking for her own shot a lot of the time but rather looking to make a good pass.
Now tht I think of it, that might be one of the reasons I came away from the game thinking that, as well as she played, Stewart looked to be "among peers" re her teammates, rather than appearing to be head and shoulders above everyone else (elaborated just a bit on this in the "View from Row 2" thread)

Reaction Score
Actual context having been there, he commented Stef had over 100 assists each of the last two years, and that's a lot of baskets. Where's that going to come from? That's what he was referring to.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
DishNSwish said:
Actual context having been there, he commented Stef had over 100 assists each of the last two years, and that's a lot of baskets. Where's that going to come from? That's what he was referring to.

Thanks for that. Kinda how I was thinking!

Reaction Score

Geno's tearful, unambiguous comments to Holly Rowe after the NC/ND destruction speak to his concern of a loss far greater than a few assists.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno's tearful, unambiguous comments to Holly Rowe after the NC/ND destruction speak to his concern of a loss far greater than a few assists.

Right, but that was after the NC, this was yesterday in response to a Q&A that David was present for. The words he used do not seem to be reflective of the big picture but simply a statement that the flow of play is different without Stef and Bria. Where are those 100 assists going to come from, etc.

Of course he knows well how much they are missed as teammates and as great human beings who represented the program with distinction. Just didn't appear that that was the subject of this particular query.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, West Chester's defense did seem to focus on Stewie -- they would swarm at her whenever she got the ball, and often before. She responded by spotting up in one corner and feeding Kiah with a pass. Against that opposition, Kiah was able to score without a problem.

But I agree that at least for a while, Stewie will be doing the passing and decision-making that Stef did last year, and Kiah will do the low-post grinding -- occasionally coming out to see if she is followed by the defense. She may do more screening than Stewie -- that will be a minor change from last year when Stef screened as well as passed. But overall, I don't think the offense will miss a beat.

Who will take the pressure shots? KML (#1), Stewie (#2), and Moriah (#3 or maybe #2). No problem in that department. If they miss, Kiah will often get the putback.

Reaction Score
Since no one else seems to want to say it, I guess I will. Barring any kind of catastrophe where 3 or 4 players are seriously injured it would be a disgrace if Geno didn't get this team to the final four. There is so much talent, almost every game will be embarrassing for the opponents. He should give back his salary, turn in his American citizenship, move back to Italy and grow grapes for a living. I just can't imagine how anyone could seriously think this team isn't going to win another N.C. How many other coaches watch UCONN games and think "If only I had a team like that I could win a National Championship." Don't misunderstand me, Geno is the reason they are that way and he is the reason they will win number 10 going away.

45 TO GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul