Everyone take a deep breath and appreciate what has happened since 2018 | The Boneyard

Everyone take a deep breath and appreciate what has happened since 2018

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Obviously that's not the finish people were hoping for but think back over the last few years and appreciate what has happened for a second. Here are the year end KenPom rankings for UConn for the last few seasons.

2018 (Ollie's last season): 179

2019 (Hurley's first season): 98

2020: 52

2021 (as of right now): 24

When you put it in that perspective, it's been a nice little ride over the last few years. Let's keep improving.

Reaction Score
Obviously that's not the finish people were hoping for but think back over the last few years and appreciate what has happened for a second. Here are the year end KenPom rankings for UConn for the last few seasons.

2018 (Ollie's last season): 179

2019 (Hurley's first season): 98

2020: 52

2021 (as of right now): 24

When you put it in that perspective, it's been a nice little ride over the last few years. Let's keep improving.
That number means nothing based on what my eyeballs saw tonight. What was Maryland’s KenPom? Maybe KenPom is full of crap.

Reaction Score
I think his point was on the progression.
I get the progress thing but these rankings often come up meaningless when it counts. If it spawns recruits well that’s good.

Reaction Score
I was more angry than I’ve been in a long time earlier, as most of us were, but after a few drinks and stuffing my face with Taco Bell (to make me feel better), I feel better now and can see things more clearly like the OP. I’m very excited for next year and all the things that will transpire between now and then, and the excitement that will build for a (hopefully) normal season with fans again. Season tix here I come.

Reaction Score
That number means nothing based on what my eyeballs saw tonight. What was Maryland’s KenPom? Maybe KenPom is full of crap.

Exactly right. Whenever a team that’s an underdog beats a favorite, it doesn’t mean they played better than their average game, or that the favorite had a bad game. It proves whomever sets the odds or runs the computer rankings are full of crap.

Tonight sucked, but I wish we would have breathalyzers that people had to pass before they could post.

Reaction Score
Ok, but the whole point of this post is about the progress. So if you understand the point, then why bring up something unrelated?
There's been progress but you are going by these KenPom numbers as proof that Hurley is doing a great job and you expect the trend to continue. We had one player who is leaving that was responsible for the last year jump from 50 to 24. Next year could very well go the other way.

Reaction Score
There's been progress but you are going by these KenPom numbers as proof that Hurley is doing a great job and you expect the trend to continue. We had one player who is leaving that was responsible for the last year jump from 50 to 24. Next year could very well go the other way.

Ok let's be make this more tangible:

2018 (Ollie's last season): Lost game 1 of AAC Tourney. 8th in AAC.

2019 (Hurley's first season): lost game 2 of AAC Tourney. 9th in AAC.

2020: finish season on 5 game win streak. 5th in AAC. On the bubble but wrong side of it. No postseason due to COVID.

2021: made NCAA Tournament. 3rd in Big East. Ranked in AP poll for first time in 5 years. About to have first player drafted in lottery in 9 years.

Seems pretty black and white how much improvement they've made.

Reaction Score
Ok let's be make this more tangible:

2018 (Ollie's last season): Lost game 1 of AAC Tourney. 8th in AAC.

2019 (Hurley's first season): lost game 2 of AAC Tourney. 9th in AAC.

2020: finish season on 5 game win streak. 5th in AAC. On the bubble but wrong side of it. No postseason due to COVID.

2021: made NCAA Tournament. 3rd in Big East. Ranked in AP poll for first time in 5 years. About to have first player drafted in lottery in 9 years.

Seems pretty black and white how much improvement they've made.
Right. Attribute most of it to Bouknight in 20 and 21. How’s he looking for us next season?

Reaction Score
Right. Attribute most of it to Bouknight in 20 and 21. How’s he looking for us next season?
Christian Vital was the leading scorer on 2020. The team improved when Jalen Gaffney took over point guard. Obviously Bouknight played better second half of season, but so did Vital

Vital left and...they still got better the following year.

They now lose Bouknight, but get a top 10 recruiting class to follow and build on Cole, Sanogo, Gaffney, and Andre.

Go look at Hurley's time at URI. It takes time but he gets it done, and that was at a lesser program with less resources. They played awful today, but he can't put the ball in the hoop for them. Sure he had opportunities to do some different things on both sides of the ball but whats the difference if guys can't make shots at point blank or free throws or wide open 3s.

Reaction Score
You don’t get to do this yet. I mean we haven’t played next year. We may very well take a step back but based on your takes I think it’s safe to say that you have no idea. Wait to make this judgment until next year plays out. No one gave us any chance in 2011 and that turned out fine. 2015 was a cluster and everyone picked us as possible champs. We don’t know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom