Everyone take a breathe.. | The Boneyard

Everyone take a breathe..

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
This is the most talented most balanced team we’ve had in years. They will learn from their mistakes come March - we have as good of a shot to win the whole thing as any other top ten team. Appreciate the team..again they will adjust

Reaction Score
While walking out of the Cintas Center, turned to my wife and said “wish they won, but sometimes you need to be kicked in the mouth”.

UConn will learn a lot from today. They’re extremely talented. They have extremely good coaches (who will also learn from today). These are the experiences that help you win in March.

Give Xavier props today. We’ll take Nati’s.

Go, Huskies!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not upset by the loss itself per se as I never expected us to survive the season unscathed. I'm still on the fence as to what I'm more irritated by: the numerous self inflicted wounds or the ridiculous disparity in what was and what was not acceptable contact in the eyes of the officials.

Hopefully this will help us in the long run.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I'm not upset by the loss itself per se as I never expected us to survive the season unscathed. I'm still on the fence as to what I'm more irritated by: the numerous self inflicted wounds or the ridiculous disparity in what was and what was not acceptable contact in the eyes of the officials.

Hopefully this will help us in the long run.
Hurley doesn’t do himself any favors by flying off the handle a key times - this will be a BIG learning lesson for him

Reaction Score
Sanogo has also been outplayed by both bigs this week. Not sure why he’s gotten away from Joey Crack and Clingan. They are lightning rods.

Newton has just been brutal, I said that a few days ago but Hans and Chin Diesal reminded me how he made free throws - how’d that work out today?

Not gonna win many games thinking they are the golden state warriors shooting 40 threes. You have 2 of the best big in America. Go inside out.

14-1 before 2023, can’t be mad. Just bury Providence Wednesday and we’re fine.

Reaction Score
X is good. We played in a hostile environment. Looking forward to the next time we meet at home… a hostile environment for them…

Edit: It’s a good win for the BE… makes resumes stronger come March for the conference. Obviously I want to win every game but we are a MASSIVE resume booster.

Reaction Score
While walking out of the Cintas Center, turned to my wife and said “wish they won, but sometimes you need to be kicked in the mouth”.

UConn will learn a lot from today. They’re extremely talented. They have extremely good coaches (who will also learn from today). These are the experiences that help you win in March.

Give Xavier props today. We’ll take Nati’s.

Go, Huskies!
This is the exact thing I said leaving the game today. You need these games to get better and continue making adjustments in situations when your down

Reaction Score
To be honest, our offensive talent level feels a bit concerning, at least as far as a super deep tourney run goes. Xavier’s three perimeter guys are shooting 52 percent, 49 percent and 47 percent. Ours are 41 percent, 38 percent and 34 percent (and two of the guys off the bench are 33 and 37). Sanogo is super talented on the low block and Hawkins can obviously be a handful when he’s on - but is young and lacks a little bit of the craftiness to find ways to score on an off shooting night. Last four games it feels like we’ve been forced to play into our weaknesses more consistently and we‘ve hit a bit of a valley. We simply need more from Newton (he shot 44 percent as a primary option last year and is 34 this year) … or maybe figure out if we can have Joey C and Hawkins out there together more often and figure out how to scheme defensively where that doesn’t hurt us at the other end. I don’t think we can rely on AK as a third scorer.

The other path is to be way better on D than we were today - the 99 team really had two scorers and the right role players around them and won a title, but they could lock in defensively in a way that’s rare (and played together for two full seasons). The 04 team had the inside-outside thing going with Ben-Emeka, but Ben was a complete scorer and we had Rashad as the third option (and Denham) and got away with Taliek and Boone as limited offensive cogs. The 11 team needed Lamb coming through as the third guy, and the 14 team needed Daniels as the third guy. Newton is the most likely one to be that guy on this team - but I think we need to start seeing it.

Reaction Score
Last four games it feels like we’ve been forced to play into our weaknesses more consistently and we‘ve hit a bit of a valley.
*^^ this. Falling back into letting others dictate our moves.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sanogo has also been outplayed by both bigs this week. Not sure why he’s gotten away from Joey Crack and Clingan. They are lightning rods.

Newton has just been brutal, I said that a few days ago but Hans and Chin Diesal reminded me how he made free throws - how’d that work out today?

Not gonna win many games thinking they are the golden state warriors shooting 40 threes. You have 2 of the best big in America. Go inside out.

14-1 before 2023, can’t be mad. Just bury Providence Wednesday and we’re fine.
This is the frustrating thing. All through the early season we went on big runs with Joey and DC… but now they’re getting less and less time. That doesn’t make sense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... Not sure why he’s gotten away from Joey Crack and Clingan. They are lightning rods.
I like the two of them together, but I came here to respond to this:
Tristan ritually (and often ill-advisedly) refused to go directly to the basket and therefore did nearly nothing to draw fouls, and thereby failed to presumably sink well above 80% of his free throws. That was brutal.

Before the games started, this was trumpeted as his most elite skill. We've seen it. Multiple times.

I did not witness his coaches or teammates telling him to go the basket and get to the line. His 0-0 performance is not to be ignored. He has had 3 such games against P6 competition.

It's a rare instance that the concept of "free throw defense" is not just a cleverness describing a low percentage of free throws made. Just as teams have dared Andre Jackson to attempt 3-point shots, and he has had to respond, I dare Tristen Newton to attempt 5 basket-attacking shots per game. Fortunately or not, I have no say in it happening.

Reaction Score
More of Clingan. Lot of good constructive comments on the boneyard.
No reason why DC and AS can't be on the floor at the same time.
Said all along that they have good chemistry.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you don’t know what your weaknesses are until someone exposes them. We got exposed today.

I still think the coaching staff needs to be better at identifying what’s working and what doesn’t. That takes time when you have a steady 9 man rotation where they all contribute.

Some should have their minutes increase and others decrease based on what works any given night. We didn’t do that today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom