Everybody's Favorite Ref | The Boneyard

Everybody's Favorite Ref

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I meet Dee Katner in an airport one time and she is super nice. She is wayyyyy better than Melissa Barlow. She is in the PAC12 a lot and is consistently the worse ref i have ever watched. She makes more phantom calls than the ghosts that visit Ebenezer Scrooge.

Reaction Score
Actually, I met Dee a few years ago at a restaurant during the ACC Championships. She was quite friendly. I remember asking her about Jeff Walz and how he yelled at her so much during the game earlier that day. She responded that she really liked Jeff - he was just doing his job. Seemed to be a good attitude to have.

Reaction Score
Actually Jesse Dickerson is the worst . Watched him officiate Miss. St. game the other day . Calling charges with defenders feet in the restricted zone among other calls.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Actually there's probably plenty of bad refs in WCBB, but what I don't understand is why a select few are always assigned to the big games. I understand that they are there based upon some review process but if they are always assigned to the big games then won't they by default get good reviews???
As for Ms. Kanter, in every game she does, especially big games, she seems to make calls that just make people scratch their heads. Or at least that's my perception.

Reaction Score
Based on my understanding of the Boneyard demographic, if you threw out your recent issue of the AARP Bulletin without reading it, you may have missed the little puff piece on UConn's favorite ref. So I went to the "Internet" and used "Google" to find a link and instead found a video interview on the AARP site that was much fuller. Search on "dee kantner aarp" if my link doesn't work:

https://www.aarp.org/disrupt-aging/video-disrupt-aging/info-2018/dee-kantner-female-referee-video.html
Far and away the best, thanks novice.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I meet Dee Katner in an airport one time and she is super nice. She is wayyyyy better than Melissa Barlow. She is in the PAC12 a lot and is consistently the worse ref i have ever watched. She makes more phantom calls than the ghosts that visit Ebenezer Scrooge.
I'm no Melissa Barlow fan, but I don't think she is worse than the average.

Yes, Dee is very nice. We weren't the ones who approached her, but she got tickets (we paid, she just arranged for them) for 4 of us to see an NBA game during a Regional series some years ago (she was working for the NBA at the time). Very nice of her, she didn't know the person that approached her at all. I also think she is one of the best refs, if not the best. Sorry, UConn fans. She's made plenty of calls on Rutgers over the years, but I don't think most of them were wrong. In fact, most I thought were wrong turned out to be right on replay.

As to the person a little later in the thread that was dissing Jesse Dickerson - I also think he is positively awful.

Reaction Score
Wow! I ran my firm for 34 years and just retired this year. She is incredible! I am not in bad shape, but I got winded just watching her do push-ups!

Really though if you pay attention to her, she has covered many of our biggest games, and I think done a way above average job. Of course some of the refs really do stink, so it makes it easier to be above average!

Reaction Score
I'm no Melissa Barlow fan, but I don't think she is worse than the average.

Yes, Dee is very nice. We weren't the ones who approached her, but she got tickets (we paid, she just arranged for them) for 4 of us to see an NBA game during a Regional series some years ago (she was working for the NBA at the time). Very nice of her, she didn't know the person that approached her at all. I also think she is one of the best refs, if not the best. Sorry, UConn fans. She's made plenty of calls on Rutgers over the years, but I don't think most of them were wrong. In fact, most I thought were wrong turned out to be right on replay.

As to the person a little later in the thread that was dissing Jesse Dickerson - I also think he is positively awful.
I have a short list of refs that make me cringe with Jesse Dickerson leading the bunch.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't mind, Dee; she is less wishy washy than most other refs. If nothing else, she makes calls in an authoritative manner.

Reaction Score
Wow! I ran my firm for 34 years and just retired this year. She is incredible! I am not in bad shape, but I got winded just watching her do push-ups!

Really though if you pay attention to her, she has covered many of our biggest games, and I think done a way above average job. Of course some of the refs really do stink, so it makes it easier to be above average!
I’m not sure Geno would agree with you. I know I cringe every time I see her walk onto the court for our game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It takes a special breed of human being to willingly subject yourself to the constant abuse heaped on referees.

It also takes a special breed to be reasonably competent at officiating.

Kantner is one of the really rare breed who are both.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Geno would agree with you. I know I cringe every time I see her walk onto the court for our game.
^^^ this
Guaranteed for at least 3 terrible calls against UConn.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My favorite ref out west ---Bob Scofield.

This is an article on him from 12 years ago. He is a mailman in the off season.

Opinion by Greg Hansen : Mailman moonlights as referee
I like Schofield - but he doesn't stand out. Of course, that may be a good thing. He is also (based on the article, anyhow) about 60.

On the other hand, there is Greg Hansen, the writer. He is a piece of work. No matter how positive a piece he can write about the U of A, he will find something negative to say. And yes, he is still around, as the local paper's Sports Columnist.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the enjoyable video...hard not to find Dee very likeable. I think she generally does a nice job, and I certainly believe she tries sincerely to call games fairly and without bias. Is she perfect? C'mon, is ANY referee perfect? Unlike a minority of folks on our forum, and unlike almost all ND fans, I do not believe teams lose games because of the refs...somehow, when these fanciful claims are made by aggrieved fans, all the turnovers, missed shots, blown free throws, etc., are magically forgotten. Personally, I think that one has to be certifiably nuts to want to be a ref and to subject oneself to all of the attendant abuse, but I'm sure glad we've got folks like Dee around who are not only willing, but seem to enjoy it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom