Everybody Happy Now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Everybody Happy Now?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Honestly they look terrible...the subs I mean. I am glad he let them play, but they just showed why they don't play much, if at all. The terminology which comes to mind is self-confidence. Geno is a great coach, but he cannot make his players confident. You either have it or you don't. I really hope Meagan can finally breakout at some point and become that seventh player in the rotation.

It appears that Megan is further along in achieving that breakout than any of the other reserves. The rest of them have it, but as it's been throughly discussed before, it usually takes UConn freshmen a full year. They're only half way through their first year. As you know, there are some things that can't be rushed. I vividly remember how Crystal was chided and criticized here last season for her inability to consistently perform at this high level. We're doing it again with this new batch of freshmen. Some things (people) just can't be rushed, no matter how badly we want to.

Reaction Score
I was not as disappointed in the bench play as some on this board are. What I did see is a team that is mentally and physically beat up. Frankly, I am most concerned about the mental aspect. The substitute plan last night was designed for " the coach " to get a point across, not to help players who rarely have played to develop confidence. There are 2 players in the starting 5 who are capable of creating their own shots, KLS and Danger. Everyone else relies on ball movement , screens and transition to score. I really liked the few glimpses of MW earlier in the season. She is athletic and create her own shot. Z can score at will in the lane, but do we really need her taking 3's 10 seconds into the shot clock? Gabby , as fun as she is to watch, just has not put in the gym time to improve her shooting nor confidence in shooting beyond 8 ft. of the basket except for the occasional shot. KLS is getting beat up, Phees is being pushed farther away from the rim. At this point what I see is a glaring problem is the husky defense. Certain players keep hunting for steals instead of playing lock down man defense. So far this season I give Coach Geno a C- . He recruits the players, runs the practice. How about coaching during the game , instead of just turning around and showing dissatisfaction to the rest of the staff. Last night , it was mentioned that because of the schedule certain drills have not been employed because of time constraints. And who exactly makes out the schedule ?

Just as an aside- if Geno gets a C- what do all the other coaches whose teams aren’t undefeated or ranked #1 in the nation get in your grading system?

Reaction Score
Just as an aside- if Geno gets a C- what do all the other coaches whose teams aren’t undefeated or ranked #1 in the nation get in your grading system?
My reasoning is Geno has a relatively seasoned team with 3 all americans, add Z, certainly a player that can start on any team in the nation, and MW , the top high school player last season. Molly and Kyla are into their second season. You are either in the TEAR DOWN or BUILD UP camp . Interesting that you want to compare Geno to other coaches. I want to compare Geno to Geno. I have been watching him coach since the beginning. This is not one of his stellar jobs , so far..... but ?

Reaction Score
I was not as disappointed in the bench play as some on this board are. What I did see is a team that is mentally and physically beat up. Frankly, I am most concerned about the mental aspect. The substitute plan last night was designed for " the coach " to get a point across, not to help players who rarely have played to develop confidence. There are 2 players in the starting 5 who are capable of creating their own shots, KLS and Danger. Everyone else relies on ball movement , screens and transition to score. I really liked the few glimpses of MW earlier in the season. She is athletic and create her own shot. Z can score at will in the lane, but do we really need her taking 3's 10 seconds into the shot clock? Gabby , as fun as she is to watch, just has not put in the gym time to improve her shooting nor confidence in shooting beyond 8 ft. of the basket except for the occasional shot. KLS is getting beat up, Phees is being pushed farther away from the rim. At this point what I see is a glaring problem is the husky defense. Certain players keep hunting for steals instead of playing lock down man defense. So far this season I give Coach Geno a C- . He recruits the players, runs the practice. How about coaching during the game , instead of just turning around and showing dissatisfaction to the rest of the staff. Last night , it was mentioned that because of the schedule certain drills have not been employed because of time constraints. And who exactly makes out the schedule ?
Tough critique.
Is there a problem with the schedule? Geno will play anyone anywhere.

Reaction Score
My reasoning is Geno has a relatively seasoned team with 3 all americans, add Z, certainly a player that can start on any team in the nation, and MW , the top high school player last season. Molly and Kyla are into their second season. You are either in the TEAR DOWN or BUILD UP camp . Interesting that you want to compare Geno to other coaches. I want to compare Geno to Geno. I have been watching him coach since the beginning. This is not one of his stellar jobs , so far..... but ?
Not one of his stellar jobs?
They have not lost a game this year playing arguably the toughest schedule of any team.
Expectations on this board are insane.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Subs in early. Never saw Geno do this. Ever.

Watching him before, during, and after some recent games, I don't see him enjoying himself at all. He said he would stop coaching when he did not enjoy doing it.

Reaction Score
Gabby , as fun as she is to watch, just has not put in the gym time to improve her shooting nor confidence in shooting beyond 8 ft. of the basket except for the occasional shot.

I'm curious how you know how much time Gabby has put into her shooting. My firm belief is Gabby is always looking for someone with a better shot and often passes up shots she should take. Look at the number of assists she has per game. I wish one of the stat gurus could put something together that would give a clearer picture of her percentages at various ranges.

My guess is Geno got what he wanted out of last nights game. Geno has made it very clear that he expects a certain level of effort/results to get playing time and apparently he is not willing to lower those standards to have more substitutes. This may be why he has 11 championships.

Reaction Score
Not one of his stellar jobs?
They have not lost a game this year playing arguably the toughest schedule of any team.
Expectations on this board are insane.
Just saying: ! 1) At half time Geno was asked how he thought the bench performed in the 2nd quarter ? After rolling his tongue around for 5 seconds, his reaction was " Our starters will be in for the 3rd quarter " REALLY

Reaction Score

I am in neither the “tear down” or “build up” camp, but in the coach them up camp. Yes, Geno has a relatively seasoned team, and with the exception of the time Z spent in the Duke program, who was the coach while these players became seasoned and became All Americans? College sports are competition, and players on the UConn squad are going to be compared to players they compete against, and Geno will be compared to the coaches he competes against. In any sport, in deciding the final score, they never ask you how, just how many. I am not advocating everything in Geno’s style of coaching, but he is in a results based profession, and his program in D-1 women’s basketball is the Amazon of the business world, and has been for many moons. It’s one thing to get to the top, and entirely another thing to stay there- that’s how I compare Geno to Geno, and if you can find coaches who have done it better over the years, or this year if you wish, I’m guessing you could count them one one hand and have several fingers left after naming him. JMO

Reaction Score
I'm curious how you know how much time Gabby has put into her shooting. My firm belief is Gabby is always looking for someone with a better shot and often passes up shots she should take. Look at the number of assists she has per game. I wish one of the stat gurus could put something together that would give a clearer picture of her percentages at various ranges.

My guess is Geno got what he wanted out of last nights game. Geno has made it very clear that he expects a certain level of effort/results to get playing time and apparently he is not willing to lower those standards to have more substitutes. This may be why he has 11 championships.
Did you not see how Texas played well off of Gabby , knowing she wanted to drive , but was reluctant to shoot the jumper. Finally late in the game she put up a 12 footer and made it.

Reaction Score
Just saying: ! 1) At half time Geno was asked how he thought the bench performed in the 2nd quarter ? After rolling his tongue around for 5 seconds, his reaction was " Our starters will be in for the 3rd quarter " REALLY
He has been doing the mind games for 30 years. With great results. You really expect him to change?
He called Rebbeca Lobo the worst post her first year.

Reaction Score
Watching him before, during, and after some recent games, I don't see him enjoying himself at all. He said he would stop coaching when he did not enjoy doing it.
I don't know how many times I have sworn not to go on this site after reading some f the drivel from the misinformed. I know don't read it.let's make Geno show some love is b---s theses kids to a person end up loving him long after they finish playing tough love is still love

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't know how many times I have sworn not to go on this site after reading some f the drivel from the misinformed. I know don't read it.let's make Geno show some love is b---s theses kids to a person end up loving him long after they finish playing tough love is still love

You forget Amen, Amen, AMEN! :D

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have thrown all of them in against a starting five of any team. I would have brought one in to get comfortable with 4 of the starters,,,then bring in another then a few minutes later another and finish a quarter with all 5 reserves working it out. But, that's why I'm a arm chair coach and Geno is a Hall of Famer.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
From your indignation here and the title of your thread, I'm wondering whether you're thinking that the discussions on BY "caused" Geno to do it? Hope so!
Now that's funny! :p:p:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom