Even in ACC country they are admitting they don't belong in the BCS | The Boneyard

Even in ACC country they are admitting they don't belong in the BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess I would want UConn to go to the ACC if invited but it needs to be recognized that the ACC is really not a great athletic conference in football or basketball currently. BC and Miami are not better off since leaving the Big East and I'm not sure we would blossom there either.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2...sults-show-that-acc-needs-separat-ar-1784423/

The matchmaker's retreat to single-match status would mock all the ludicrous expansion moves — such as Boise State to the Big East, for instance. There's another reason to retreat: The ACC needs a divorce. The ACC-BCS marriage seems like a Kardashian thing in super-slow motion, and it gets worse every anniversary.
The ACC disaster begins with the 2-13 record in BCS games, which trails the Big East (7-7) and every league right up to the SEC kings (15-6).
Instead, the Tigers did their part to uphold ACC stereotypes and feed instant-replay suspicions that the ACC indisputably ranks last among the BCS brothers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will give Swofford a lot of credit for getting the ACC overpaid with every TV contract, which has given them a consistent advantage relative to the Big East, which seems to be underpaid every time. That is the reason the ACC takes from the Big East, and not the other way around. There is no other reason.

Reaction Score
I honestly think that if the SEC came calling right now schools other than UNC and Duke would bolt in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even put it past UNC, who really wants to be taken seriously in football and would fit in with the large southern state schools of the SEC. The states of NC and VA would geographically complete the SEC. Now that they will probably get rid of AQ and BCS limits for conferences what do they have to lose?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I honestly think that if the SEC came calling right now schools other than UNC and Duke would bolt in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even put it past UNC, who really wants to be taken seriously in football and would fit in with the large southern state schools of the SEC. The states of NC and VA would geographically complete the SEC. Now that they will probably get rid of AQ and BCS limits for conferences what do they have to lose?

If not for the fact that UNC won't divorce itself from Duke, this makes some sense. But then again, how is this different than what we've said all along. If the ACC adds UConn and Rutgers, it is the Big East. The ACC name fits just fine from Boston to Miami. I don't have an explanation for why a change in conference would result in such drops in performance from BC, VT and Miami. I suspect that the reasons are far more internal to those schools. We know that's the case for BC and Miami.

Reaction Score
If not for the fact that UNC won't divorce itself from Duke, this makes some sense. But then again, how is this different than what we've said all along. If the ACC adds UConn and Rutgers, it is the Big East. The ACC name fits just fine from Boston to Miami. I don't have an explanation for why a change in conference would result in such drops in performance from BC, VT and Miami. I suspect that the reasons are far more internal to those schools. We know that's the case for BC and Miami.

I think that Miami did better when they were an outsider, national story, and flag bearer for the Big East. BC did better when they were regionally relevant. Those are two big reasons for their respective declines in my opinion. I think another reason is that most of the good southern recruits opt to play for SEC schools.

I still think if the SEC is going to 16 then they will target schools in the states of NC and VA. Would UNC and UVA really want to risk NC St. and VTech taking spots that could be theirs in the undisputed best football conference in America? I can't answer that, but I wouldn't if I were them. I'd be on the phones now.

Reaction Score
Found this link on the NC St. scout board. They seem to think UNC will bolt and would never let them be the ones to get a seat at the real Big Boy table.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111231/SPORTS/712319797#.TwYEoqpVKQ0.facebook

THE FUTURE
Last summer, one of the nation's best quarterback recruits, Gunner Kiel, committed to his home-state school, underdog Indiana. It raised quite a stir in recruiting circles. But somewhere along the line, Kiel decided IU wasn't a big enough stage. He re-opened his recruitment.
And late last week, he chose LSU instead.
In one report, Kiel cited the SEC appeal: "A lot of people call it the NFL of college football."
Eventually, Travis speculates, the SEC will grab a school from Virginia and another from North Carolina. It will align with ESPN (in addition to its Saturday CBS coverage) and form a conference network that breaks the bank.
"The scary thing for the rest of the country is the SEC is going to continue to distance themselves," Travis said.

Reaction Score
So we should aim for the Big 12, then. Cool.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think that Miami did better when they were an outsider, national story, and flag bearer for the Big East. .

They did better whe they reported to no one and didn't have any oversight.

BC did better when they were regionally relevant. .

BC was better when it was about pride and performance. Flipper bailed out on Villanova and milked the system he inherited at BC with Tom O'Brien and AL Skinner as coach

My favorite Flipper poll from BC fans
Gene DiFilippo: Worst AD This Year, or Worst in the History of Ever?

Reaction Score
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=16&f=2947&t=8527174&p=2

FSU fans are ready to bolt the ACC. They sound like they wouldn't mind going to the Big 12, B1G, or SEC. I think SEC is a long shot for them but if the Big 12 thought they could get them I think they might come out of left field and make a play at them. The ACC is in danger of losing at least 2 teams to the SEC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose another 2 to the Big 12. Hell I could see UNC and UVa going SEC and FSU, Clemson, VT, and NC State all going Big 12. That would finish the ACC. Why would the Big 12 want any remaining BE schools when they could possibly get FSU.

Reaction Score

FSU fans are ready to bolt the ACC. They sound like they wouldn't mind going to the Big 12, B1G, or SEC. I think SEC is a long shot for them but if the Big 12 thought they could get them I think they might come out of left field and make a play at them. The ACC is in danger of losing at least 2 teams to the SEC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose another 2 to the Big 12. Hell I could see UNC and UVa going SEC and FSU, Clemson, VT, and NC State all going Big 12. That would finish the ACC. Why would the Big 12 want any remaining BE schools when they could possibly get FSU.
UVA is NOT going to the SEC, they would never align themselves academically with the crap that exists in the SEC. UNC won't leave Duke, they're a basketball-first school, and also have an upstanding academic tradition they wouldn't want to tarnish. They rake in gobs of money as it is already. The only ACC schools I can see leaving are GT, Clemson, or FSU. From a football standpoint, FSU would be the only major loss for them, with GT and Clemson being marginal.

Reaction Score
UVA is NOT going to the SEC, they would never align themselves academically with the crap that exists in the SEC. UNC won't leave Duke, they're a basketball-first school, and also have an upstanding academic tradition they wouldn't want to tarnish. They rake in gobs of money as it is already. The only ACC schools I can see leaving are GT, Clemson, or FSU. From a football standpoint, FSU would be the only major loss for them, with GT and Clemson being marginal.

SEC is not adding a second team in GA and certainly not tiny SC. It's NC and VA all the way and I suspect you are right about UVa and UNC and it will be NC St. and VT.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There's one flaw with FSU going to the Big12. FSU fans want to go mano-e-mano with SEC teams. I live in Pensacola which is a great area for college football fans. LSU, Alabam, Auburn, FSU and Florida memorabilia are all over the place. No matter which direction you look from Tallahassee (except south towards the gulf) are SEC schools. FSU fans that I know always feel a bit left out when they're in a room full of SEC fans discussing who's better and comparing wins and losses.

FSU doesn't have anyone in the ACC they consider to be a peer football program. Regardless of on field performance the last decade, FSU sees itself in the mold of Florida, LSU, Auburn and Alabama. They don't see Clemson, VT, GT, Miami or any other ACC school as having programs on par with FSU, nor do they see those schools as being equals to SEC schools. In the ACC, the best FSU can do for a championship game is playing VT or Clemson in Charlotte. In the ACC they can play LSU, Alabama, Arkansas or Auburn in Atlanta.

Big 12 is interesting only in that they can play Texas and Oklahoma who can go toe to toe against any SEC school for history, tradition and passion.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 should grab FSU, Miami/VT Tech/GTech/Clemson, UConn, Rutgers, ND and Louisville. That would make an insane 16 team conference. This is more exotic than the B1G when you consider the locations.

Reaction Score

FSU doesn't have anyone in the ACC they consider to be a peer football program. Regardless of on field performance the last decade, FSU sees itself in the mold of Florida, LSU, Auburn and Alabama. They don't see Clemson, VT, GT, Miami or any other ACC school as having programs on par with FSU, nor do they see those schools as being equals to SEC schools. In the ACC, the best FSU can do for a championship game is playing VT or Clemson in Charlotte. In the ACC they can play LSU, Alabama, Arkansas or Auburn in Atlanta.

Big 12 is interesting only in that they can play Texas and Oklahoma who can go toe to toe against any SEC school for history, tradition and passion.

You might advise these FSU fans that maybe they should try beating Wake Forrest before they worry about taking on LSU.

Reaction Score
I will give Swofford a lot of credit for getting the ACC overpaid with every TV contract, which has given them a consistent advantage relative to the Big East, which seems to be underpaid every time. That is the reason the ACC takes from the Big East, and not the other way around. There is no other reason.

have you ever looked at the ratings of ACC games versus BE games? i haven't but i'd imagine the ACC grades quite a bit better. every one in a while a BE game captures a lot of viewers but i'd imagine the average ACC game does better

C

Chief00

We would be much better off in the SEC than the overrated ACC. Stayed tuned.

Reaction Score
We would be much better off in the SEC than the overrated ACC. Stayed tuned.
That would be like when we played Miami the first year we moved up every week...the only games we would have a shot to win would be Vandy, Ole Miss (for now), Miss St (for now), Texas A&M (for now)

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That would be like when we played Miami the first year we moved up every week...the only games we would have a shot to win would be Vandy, Ole Miss (for now), Miss St (for now), Texas A&M (for now)

Which ironically would be more potential wins than Vandy has a shot at in a normal SEC year. Hooray, we wouldn't be the worst team!

Reaction Score
Which ironically would be more potential wins than Vandy has a shot at in a normal SEC year. Hooray, we wouldn't be the worst team!
True...I forgot to add Tennessee to that list of potential wins too. I wouldn't be surprised if our new AD comes from a SEC school.

Reaction Score
In the ACC, I can only see FSU and/or Clemson bolting if the SEC if came calling. Clemson defiantly sees itself as an SEC school; but the Gamecocks would try to block that move and it really does not add any TV value. FSU adds a name and big football dreams and I think Florida could swallow adding an in-state rival with the goal of ‘locking’ Florida up for the SEC.
I do not see Georgia Tech going based on academics. That school takes academics seriously and ‘sophisticated’ Atlanta looks down on most of Georgia, especially the rednecks from Athens.
The BE has the Providence Mafia while the ACC has the Tobacco Road crowd. I cannot anyone breaking-up the UNC/Duke rivalry for anyone. Wake is not a good fit for the SEC. Politically, like other states, I cannot see UNC and/or NC State dropping the ACC for the SEC.
VT would be a good fit for the SEC; but, they spent a LOT of political capital in bolting the BE for the ACC. UVA will not leave for the SEC due to academics and politics will not allow VT through the sweat spent on getting them into the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think that Miami did better when they were an outsider, national story, and flag bearer for the Big East.

They did better when they had a real coach. Ten years of Larry Coker and Randy Shannon would drive any program into the ground.

Reaction Score
FSU doesn't have anyone in the ACC they consider to be a peer football program. Regardless of on field performance the last decade, FSU sees itself in the mold of Florida, LSU, Auburn and Alabama. They don't see Clemson, VT, GT, Miami or any other ACC school as having programs on par with FSU, nor do they see those schools as being equals to SEC schools.

They are delusional up there for sure. We're talking about a program that made "championship" rings for their team after a 4 loss season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom