Euro-Step Moves | The Boneyard

Euro-Step Moves

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think our guards euro-stepped better under KO than they currently do? Not suggesting our current guards are bad at it. I just thought we were particularly good at it under KO. It was one of the things we did well. Sort of a silly/petty thing to brag about, but it seemed that way to me.

I think this because we had some average ball handlers like Purvis and maybe even CV who were oddly good at eurostepping. Which I view as a pretty advanced move.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the staff. Maybe just coincidence. Maybe it's just in my head. Just a thought.

We also do plenty of KO bashing. Myself included. Its nice to point out something good on occasion.

Edit: I am not suggesting we have a euro-step deficiency. Or it's something we need to correct. The current coaching staff is doing great. They need to keep doing exactly what they are doing. This is just an observation.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
You're failing to account for Jalen Adams, he was fantastic at it among other abilities to finish in the paint. He was a great guard that gets overlooked because of the teams he was part of.
I think that's why your perception may be off a bit here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think I disagree with the OP. I remember more with Ollie. I believe J Adams was an excellent Eurostepper. Purvis, as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I disagree with the OP. I remember more with Ollie. I believe J Adams was an excellent Eurostepper. Purvis, as well.
OP said we were good at the Eurostep.
OP mentions Purvis being good at Eurostep.
You say Purvis was good at Eurostep.
You say you disagree with OP.

What am I missing?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
OP said we were good at the Eurostep.
OP mentions Purvis being good at Eurostep.
You say Purvis was good at Eurostep.
You say you disagree with OP.

What am I missing?
Nothing. I read too fast again!

Reaction Score
You're failing to account for Jalen Adams, he was fantastic at it among other abilities to finish in the paint. He was a great guard that gets overlooked because of the teams he was part of.
I think that's why your perception may be off a bit here.
I've thought of that too. Maybe it was Jalen's influence. He showed up with those skills. And all the guards I'm talking about played with Jalen.

Reaction Score
But I also thought Boatright picked it up under KO as well. I don't remember Boatright using the europstep a lot until his later years.

Reaction Score
Could it be based on the different background of the head coach's? Ollie and the NBA experience as opposed to Hurley only being HS and College?

Reaction Score
IMO.. Euro-stepping is less about a premeditated move and more about a spontaneous reaction to unexpected/unanticipated defensive pressure that requires a creative finish/footwork..

And yes.. Jalen A was very good at it. . The ability to "sell it " to the refs is a useful talent..LOL

Thought Tyler Phommachanh showed a little Euro on his drive to the hoop through traffic last game.. But he does have some long legs.. Could have been an optical illusion..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JA was very good at it but also as a result didn’t draw contact or get to the FT line as much as he could have. I prefer the way we attack the basket currently.

Reaction Score
Euro stepping has nothing to do if you’re a good player. What I do notice is that we have more players that have more of a bball IQ which is the most important skill.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m not upset we have gotten better at not traveling, even if it is not called.

Reaction Score
This sorta brings me back to a UConn game @ Illinois when Billy Packer kept dissecting Chris Smith's handle, saying he comes under the ball and then carries it and that's not legal but he never gets called for it. ?

Reaction Score
IMO.. Euro-stepping is less about a premeditated move and more about a spontaneous reaction to unexpected/unanticipated defensive pressure that requires a creative finish/footwork..

And yes.. Jalen A was very good at it. . The ability to "sell it " to the refs is a useful talent..LOL

Thought Tyler Phommachanh showed a little Euro on his drive to the hoop through traffic last game.. But he does have some long legs.. Could have been an optical illusion..
It may be spontaneous based on the athletic skill of the player.

But, then again, when I viewed a Youtube video of Bueckers and Fudd working out in the gym together, it appeared their trainer(s) were teaching them ball handling skills which seemed to include the Euro-steps.

I agree Polley did seem to show it on this coast-to-coast. Hope he will do it more.

Reaction Score
Eurostep is definitely spontaneous. Most moves are. But it's also an unusual sequence that needs to be practiced and turned into muscle memory. No one spontaneously did a eurostep in 1990. Nobody practiced it. It didn't exist.

the Q

Reaction Score
Eurostep is definitely spontaneous. Most moves are. But it's also an unusual sequence that needs to be practiced and turned into muscle memory. No one spontaneously did a eurostep in 1990. Nobody practiced it. It didn't exist.

Because by the rule book it’s a travel.

The NBA, like it usually does, ruins real basketball

Reaction Score
My first reaction to seeing it was pretty much this

4d7fed7e-009a-4877-aead-0e8879e00fd1_text.gif

the Q

Reaction Score
My first reaction to seeing it was pretty much this

View attachment 63430

When the NBA changed their traveling rules in 2009 to allow for 2 complete steps (another trash made for tv rule), it became legal there.

That means the first decade of them with that ginobili leading the way we’re all egregious travels

Reaction Score
Because by the rule book it’s a travel.

The NBA, like it usually does, ruins real basketball
They definitely officiate in a way that promotes offense. Which I don't mind.

I also think some of the modern ball handling moves are beyond the human eye's ability to easily notice the travel. There's a lot going on. Both with the feet and the hands. The modern moves broke our ability to easily officiate them.

I suppose they could simply call every ball handling move that was developed after the mid 90s a travel. But that sounds lame.

the Q

Reaction Score
They definitely officiate in a way that promotes offense. Which I don't mind.

I also think some of the modern ball handling moves are beyond the human eye's ability to easily notice the travel. There's a lot going on. Both with the feet and the hands. The modern moves broke our ability to easily officiate them.

I suppose they could simply call every ball handling move that was developed after the mid 90s a travel. But that sounds lame.

It sounds like they’d be doing their job properly

Reaction Score
It sounds like they’d be doing their job properly
Yeah, maybe. I still don't mind what they are doing. I think it allows for creativity. I even like all the step back threes and things like that. I think it's all pretty creative. It's like someone decided to take a legal jump stop move that is traditionally used to get to the basket. But instead it's used to get to the three point line. Generally, I like the creativity.

But you are right. The relaxed officiating sorta snowballs. The origins of these moves may of been legal. Or so close to legal its tough to determine. But many of the moves that are being used today are quite easily recognizable as travels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom