Euphoria (HBO) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Euphoria (HBO)

Reaction Score
I thought episode 4 was fantastic. The score, the visual style, absolutely wonderful.

It is trying to do Skins (UK version) but more scandalous. Skins gave each character their own episode and this is giving them a thorough go, but still through Roo's eyes though. We will see how it plays out, but do not take this as how all kids today live, I think most from this environment are much more boring.
as a parent of kids that age, I sure as hope that's not how these kids are living.

I guess the viewership numbers for this show are actually solid, so people are watching it despite our complaints here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will be the first to admit that sometimes I just don't get a show. True Blood was like that for me. It had a big following and I liked most of the actors, but I thought the show sucked. Feel the same way about Euphoria.

Reaction Score
I will be the first to admit that sometimes I just don't get a show. True Blood was like that for me. It had a big following and I liked most of the actors, but I thought the show sucked. Feel the same way about Euphoria.
I loved true blood but it was objectively bad. I assume that's how a lot of people feel about this

Reaction Score
I loved true blood but it was objectively bad. I assume that's how a lot of people feel about this
the thing with a show like True Blood is it's camp and doesn't pretend do be anything else more serious. The problem with Euphoria is I'm not sure as a viewer what it's supposed to be. It deals with very serious problems like teen drug abuse, violence, and promiscuity, but it doesn't seem to have gravitas. Small detail - but would a teen girl ever wear an outfit like that girl did at the carnival?? Eye candy for the viewer, and does not make the show seem real. And org'sm on a merry go round?? C'mon. It feels so exploitative sometimes, but then there's the backdrop of Rue's drug addiction and Jules struggles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the thing with a show like True Blood is it's camp and doesn't pretend do be anything else more serious. The problem with Euphoria is I'm not sure as a viewer what it's supposed to be. It deals with very serious problems like teen drug abuse, violence, and promiscuity, but it doesn't seem to have gravitas. mall detail - but would a teen girl ever wear an outfit like that girl did at the carnival?? Eye candy for the viewer, and does not make the show seem real. And on a merry go round?? C'mon. It feels so exploitative sometimes, but then there's the backdrop of Rue's drug addiction and Jules struggles.
Yeah that's the problem I have with it. Either it doesn't know what it wants to be, or I just don't get it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
the thing with a show like True Blood is it's camp and doesn't pretend do be anything else more serious. The problem with Euphoria is I'm not sure as a viewer what it's supposed to be. It deals with very serious problems like teen drug abuse, violence, and promiscuity, but it doesn't seem to have gravitas. Small detail - but would a teen girl ever wear an outfit like that girl did at the carnival?? Eye candy for the viewer, and does not make the show seem real. And org'sm on a merry go round?? C'mon. It feels so exploitative sometimes, but then there's the backdrop of Rue's drug addiction and Jules struggles.

I feel the same way about Euphoria that I did about 90210. Both shows are exploitative. How many times did Kelly on 90210 get raped? These shows aren't dealing with issues seriously or thoughtfully, they are asking us to look at a car crash.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Euphoria that I did about 90210. Both shows are exploitative. How many times did Kelly on 90210 get raped? These shows aren't dealing with issues seriously or thoughtfully, they are asking us to look at a car crash.
R-rated 90210. Never thought of that, but yes.

This show could be so much more than it is.

Reaction Score
Interesting, already renewed for a second season.

Reaction Score
I've kept watching this despite saying I wouldn't. It's turned into a complete hot mess. I cannot believe it's been OKed for a second season. Curious if I'm the only idiot left watching it.

Reaction Score
I've kept watching this despite saying I wouldn't. It's turned into a complete hot mess. I cannot believe it's been OKed for a second season. Curious if I'm the only idiot left watching it.
Still watching. Hate every second of it. It's like a bad car wreck on the highway

Reaction Score
Still watching. Hate every second of it. It's like a bad car wreck on the highway
that's where I'm at - last night was a wall-to-wall disaster of a show. It's a shame, with more of a deft touch and better writing this show could have really been something good.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen last nights yet. I actually thought last weeks was a better showing. Some actual consequences and a more realistic overall story told. I guess that wasn’t gonna last.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen last nights yet. I actually thought last weeks was a better showing. Some actual consequences and a more realistic overall story told. I guess that wasn’t gonna last.
make sure the kids are in bed, last night's show is soft core .

Reaction Score

This show is just nuts, a car crash, uncomfortable to watch. This weeks episode- fear beats consequences.

Reaction Score
This show is just nuts, a car crash, uncomfortable to watch. This weeks episode- fear beats consequences.
I can live with that part. Teenagers act irrationally and rarely think long term... which is why Nate's supervillain storyline is beyond ludicrous. I can take all the high school drama. Hell, I've got a soft spot for Zendaya's Rue, I really want to see her find some redemption and battle her demon's, even with it likely a losing battle. There's definitely some interesting stories to be told in that space. Something that's really largely being ignored right now in TV and film (the opioid epidemic in general). Jules' trans storyline the same (it's certainly gotten more daylight but still not very high profile stuff besides Transparent and Pose). This Nate stuff is just ridiculous though.

Reaction Score
So uh. That finale. Somehow more disappointing than the entirety of the season?

Reaction Score
So uh. That finale. Somehow more disappointing than the entirety of the season?
Watched the finale last night - I went back and forth on bailing on the show all season, and in the end stuck with it. Pros: There were some story lines with major potential (that weren't really exploited properly). The acting was decent. There were some interesting visual segments with the use of light/color. I ended up caring about some of the characters, mainly Rue. Cons: the show really felt like a R/NR version of 90210 (I think Nelson mentioned this). The story lines could have been so much better with a little more care. Some characters felt very real but others were cardboard cutouts - gets back to the storylines, this series could have been pure dynamite with more effort.

The finale was "ok" - really just more of the same. RIGHT UP UNTIL THE FINAL SONG & DANCE NUMBER. W.T.F. was that??????

Reaction Score
Watched the finale last night - I went back and forth on bailing on the show all season, and in the end stuck with it. Pros: There were some story lines with major potential (that weren't really exploited properly). The acting was decent. There were some interesting visual segments with the use of light/color. I ended up caring about some of the characters, mainly Rue. Cons: the show really felt like a R/NR version of 90210 (I think Nelson mentioned this). The story lines could have been so much better with a little more care. Some characters felt very real but others were cardboard cutouts - gets back to the storylines, this series could have been pure dynamite with more effort.

The finale was "ok" - really just more of the same. RIGHT UP UNTIL THE FINAL SONG & DANCE NUMBER. W.T.F. was that??????
I really don't get what I'm supposedly missing about this show. Idk how it's reviewed so well.

Reaction Score
I really don't get what I'm supposedly missing about this show. Idk how it's reviewed so well.
I'm equally shocked over the fact it's been renewed, has gotten good reviews, and that they think they can do a whole additional season(s) based on what happened in the first season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Too much high quality TV to spend time on this train wreck.

My take on Euphoria's good reviews: middle aged, Gen X'ers trying to stay current giving good reviews to the "edgy teen show" because they have nothing to benchmark it against.

Ratings were solid, but prime time softcore pron with a prestige TV wrapper will do that for a lot of shows.

I watched 3 episodes, and will never watch another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom