ESPNW's class of 2024 recruiting rankings are out. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPNW's class of 2024 recruiting rankings are out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I prefer quality over quantity, so I think UConn’s class compares with that of USC. Though ratings are imprecise, generally players ranked between 50 and 100 are not impact players. Unless a team has an extreme shortage of players, a class of 6-7 doesn’t help more than a class of 4 or so. Another thing about rankings is that most players are very similar in abilities to players ranked closely. The biggest gap in talent is often between 1 and 2. Think Maya Moore and Angie Bjorklund. I’m not sure there is a huge gap between Sarah Strong and Joyce Edwards, but there could be.

Reaction Score
I prefer quality over quantity, so I think UConn’s class compares with that of USC. Though ratings are imprecise, generally players ranked between 50 and 100 are not impact players. Unless a team has an extreme shortage of players, a class of 6-7 doesn’t help more than a class of 4 or so. Another thing about rankings is that most players are very similar in abilities to players ranked closely. The biggest gap in talent is often between 1 and 2. Think Maya Moore and Angie Bjorklund. I’m not sure there is a huge gap between Sarah Strong and Joyce Edwards, but there could be.
Sarah is a better rebounder, 17-9 vs Joyce last time they met in HS. SS also has a sharp 3 pointer which might boost her rank. She’s more of a tank under the basket and can push others out to position herself. Joyce is more agile and athletic under the basket.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Allie "She has an extremely fundamental base of skills" What the??? Sounds like a long winded insult. Damned with faint praise? If I am Allie I'm taping that at eye level in my locker.

Reaction Score
Allie "She has an extremely fundamental base of skills" What the??? Sounds like a long winded insult. Damned with faint praise? If I am Allie I'm taping that at eye level in my locker.
That's harsh. She shot something like 47-48% from 3 her senior year. That's no "fundamental base of skill," ESPN. Her coach said she was a good defender, lead defender on her team, and also passes and rebounds well for a 5-11 guard. Take those insults and prove them wrong Allie!

Reaction Score
I'm just happy we're still relevant in the recruiting rankings after reading all those BY posts about our demise several years ago.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is ask yourself, “would you trade USC’s class for UConn’s?” I believe most coaches would say “Hell no!”
just to clarify, you mean most coaches wouldn't want Uconn's recruiting class over USC? I'm not sure it's so obvious.

Reaction Score
I think there should be more math to this. Add the rankings and divide by the number of recruits. Lowest score wins. It's not difficult.
It’s a lot more difficult than that kind of formula. For example, using that sort of math, a school that recruited only the #1 player would have a class ranked ahead of a school that landed numbers two, three, four, five, and six.

Reaction Score
It’s a lot more difficult than that kind of formula. For example, using that sort of math, a school that recruited only the #1 player would have a class ranked ahead of a school that landed numbers two, three, four, five, and six.
Agree. If UCONN just got Sarah, they wouldn’t be #2, or even 3-4. What matters is the quality of the recruit. I can safely say Sarah is better than all of USC’s recruits. But, One recruit can’t skyrocket you to the top, even if it is Sarah.

Last edited:

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Agree. If UCONN just got Sarah, they wouldn’t be #2, or even 3-4. What matters is the quality of the recruit. I can safely say Sarah is better than all of USC’s recruits. But, One recruit can’t skyrocket you to the top, even if it is Sarah.
One recruit did just that recently for USC and Iowa.

It doesn't happen so often at UConn, because the rest of the team is so good.

We'll get an early look at both classes when they play each other in December. May only be 1-2 freshman getting major minutes in total.

Reaction Score
Geno’s more complete thoughts:

The money quote:

"To have three players coming in that can immediately have an impact on your team is pretty unique."

Emphasis on "immediately." You want to know what Geno thinks? He thinks "immediately."

Reaction Score
I wouldn't take it that way. It comes across that she has good technique coming into college which is huge. Some players have to relearn things, or tweak things because of bad habits. I'd rather a player with a good base of the fundamental skills as they can expand on their skillset at a faster rate.

Reaction Score
One recruit did just that recently for USC and Iowa.

It doesn't happen so often at UConn, because the rest of the team is so good.

We'll get an early look at both classes when they play each other in December. May only be 1-2 freshman getting major minutes in total.
I meant to the top of the recruiting class rankings.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't take it that way. It comes across that she has good technique coming into college which is huge. Some players have to relearn things, or tweak things because of bad habits. I'd rather a player with a good base of the fundamental skills as they can expand on their skillset at a faster rate.
Pretty awkward way of trying to say it.

Reaction Score
Having to combine quantity and quality to get a ranked score leads me to suspect that ESPN uses a weighted sum as the score with weights derived from its grade system (98, 97, etc).

Obviously, the weights themselves are arbitrary.

Example*:
  • UConn: 2x1.0 + 0.9 = 2.90
  • USC: 1.0 + 2x0.9 + 2x0.6 + 0.30 = 4.30
  • * Weights: 98: 1.00 | 97: 0.90 | 96: 0.80 | 95: 0.70 | 94: 0.60 | 93: 0.50 | 92: 0.40 | 91: 0.30 |
  • 5 grade 95 players would have a score* higher than UConn’s.
  • One can divide the scores above by the number of players, but I suspect ESPN doesn’t do that, as you pointed out.
I like Geno’s recruiting class philosophy, especially evidenced by his recent classes. ESPN’s yearly recruiting ranked scores do not capture a program’s recruiting philosophy overall.

Geno got the recruits he wanted — that’s enough for me.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is ask yourself, “would you trade USC’s class for UConn’s?” I believe most coaches would say “Hell no!”
Actually, I meant, would you trade UConn’s for USC’s? UConn’s class should be #1!

Reaction Score
I don't have any issues with the rankings. USC has an impressive class coming in to go along with the solid roster and talent of Juju Watkins. Like someone said already, the only rankings I care about are at the end of the season when we finish as #1 and holding that National Championship and pieces of the net.

Reaction Score
USC is #1 because of quantity not quality. The Trojans have 6 top 100 recruits. UConn has 3. Now, you can’t play 6 freshmen at the same time. But you can play 3. So let’s see how many players out of USC’s #1 recruiting class are still around next year at this time.
They also have two incoming transfers, Assuming Juju's spot is safe, that means 8 newcomers fighting for 4 starting spots. Gonna be a lotta' competition in the preseason and a lot of pressure on the coach to build a winning attitude. Will anybody pass to anybody else?

Reaction Score
The only rating that matter's is the one that comes at the conclusion of the National Championship Game.
Personally, I have reservations, on ranking teams because of the many variables exist with individual players !

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe the purpose of this type of article (i.e., Too Early top 25, pre-season all-American, etc.) is to create clicks. On that basis the author's goals is to create discussion of their work. UConn #1 creates grumbling, complaining and little discussion. The author met their goal and will get to keep their job.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Who cares, we only needed the 3 players because of all the talent we had coming back. We didn't need 6 players, but the three we got was just what Geno wanted. I'm happy with that, and if Geno is happy, then we all should be happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom