ESPNW's Best 25 WNBA Players under 25. | The Boneyard

ESPNW's Best 25 WNBA Players under 25.

Reaction Score
It's always fun to read about Husky alums... and of course several make the list. Especially notable to me is big love for Kia. No love for Mo, but she hasn't really played yet. Hoping for a big year for her, and more big progress for others.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's always fun to read about Husky alums... and of course several make the list. Especially notable to me is big love for Kia. No love for Mo, but she hasn't really played yet. Hoping for a big year for her, and more big progress for others.

Thread title needs to be changed. 25 and under. Otherwise, no Stewie and hence no real list. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait this list can't be right!
If Sabrina is in consideration for GOAT shouldn't she be higher?
At least top 10?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
5 former Huskies! And Meg and Crystal are not included.

I thought Diamond was a little too high based on accomplishments, rather than potential, but I'm not sure whom I would put ahead of her. Maybe Phee, plus Atkins and/or Ogunbowale.

Reaction Score
UConn has 5, Stewie, Napheesa, Kia, Gabby and Azur.
Surprised Katie Lou is not in (injure?)

Then Sabrina Ionescu is only #11? and Satou is at #8.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn has 5, Stewie, Napheesa, Kia, Gabby and Azur.
Surprised Katie Lou is not in (injure?)

Then Sabrina Ionescu is only #11? and Satou is at #8.

Lou did not have a good season. Yes, she was injured but she has to overcome all these issues and hit better than 28% from 3.

Satou screams WNBA royalty. Her height and all around game is very Stewie like. Sabrina is in the show me category since she is not elite physically and has alot to handle dealing with a tough town, inexperienced team etc.

Reaction Score
Satou screams WNBA royalty. Her height and all around game is very Stewie like. Sabrina is in the show me category since she is not elite physically and has alot to handle dealing with a tough town, inexperienced team etc.
But, but Sabrina is the #1 pick over Satou.
And no Lauren Cox? I thought Lauren should be ranked higher.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But, but Sabrina is the #1 pick over Satou.
And no Lauren Cox? I thought Lauren should be ranked higher.

To be honest, Sabrina was probably picked #1 as much for marketing as for skill set and leadership.

and Cox probably falls under the "not sure how her game translates at the pro level with + concerns of overall health"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO they should have limited the list to ONLY players who have 1 season or more in the WNBA. Trying to place a ranking on a player who has not played a single game in the WNBA is hard.

Heck, even players who have an off 1st year can come on strong later - Skyler Diggins, for example, struggled her rookie season (8.5 PPG) compared to expectations, but has been really good since.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wait this list can't be right!
If Sabrina is in consideration for GOAT shouldn't she be higher?
At least top 10?

It seems like a very statistics based list and throwing in some rookies in random spots. Ionescu could easily be ranked as high as #3 or 4 depending on how good you think she'll be as a rookie, or left off completely since she hasn't proven anything at the WNBA level. Odds are she'll likely end up being the centerpiece of NYL from day 1 and rises much higher than 11th place.

McCowan's overall stats aren't eye popping, but she played limited minutes early last year before blossoming into a dominant post the 2nd half of the season. After the All Star break she was playing far better than players like Mitchell, Nurse and Atkins. And players like Vivians, Young and Turner I think will be long term better players than more proven commodities like Tiff Mitchell and Alisha Gray, neither of whom I see taking on more prominent roles as their career develops.

Hard to accurately assess right now, but I think we'll have a clearer picture after this season. The talent level among young players is at an all time high IMO with loaded 2018, 2019 and a top heavy 2020 class that has a couple of bonafide studs and several other intriguing prospects who could make their mark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom