espnW Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx | The Boneyard

espnW Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
espnW Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx
Mechelle Voepel (espnW)

But Collier was our nearly unanimous choice for her all-around impact on the playoff-bound Lynx.

Collier went from the power forward position in college to small forward for the Lynx. She never tried to "replace" Maya Moore, who is taking a basketball sabbatical, but instead focused on being the best version of herself.

Elena Delle Donne is espnW's WNBA MVP, headlines all-league first team

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Phee. I'm not sure it was a right or wrong decision. I have a feeling Muffet will feel it was the "wrong" decision, and in a season where Dallas made the playoffs, Arike might have won the award.

But for Minnesota to lose Whalen, Moore and Augustus (only played 12 games), not to mention Brunson and Karima Christmas, who only played 6 games - Pheesa's all around impact in helping lead her team to the playoffs seems to be a huge difference maker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow! Well deserved, too. I didn't get to see her play very often this season but when I did, her basketball IQ stood out. After just a couple of games you could see Sylvia, et al looking for Pheesa at every opportunity.

Also, and this was a little unexpected, in the games I watched Pheesa was by far the most adept at lob passes underneath (usually to Sylvia). She didn't get to use that skill much while she was at UConn.

Also, her rebounding was much more effective than I expected it to be in the WNBA.

I put her rookie season right behind Stewie's and Maya's for quick starts by UConn grads. Few players fill up a stat line like Pheesa.

One question though, what's up with the erratic free throw shooting?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Phee. I'm not sure it was a right or wrong decision. I have a feeling Muffet will feel it was the "wrong" decision, and in a season where Dallas made the playoffs, Arike might have won the award.

But for Minnesota to lose Whalen, Moore and Augustus (only played 12 games), not to mention Karima Christmas, who only played 6 games - Pheesa's all around impact in helping lead her team to the playoffs seems to be the difference maker.

Ah, Muffet ... makes it all the sweeter, does it not? :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

But for Minnesota to lose Whalen, Moore and Augustus (only played 12 games), not to mention Karima Christmas, who only played 6 games - Pheesa's all around impact in helping lead her team to the playoffs seems to be the difference maker.
In my mind if Dallas had made the playoff that would have meant that the team had better players. That would then mean Arike's shot total per game would have drop considerably, and so would her ppg total. Also, who is to say she would be the best player on a Dallas playoff team full of talent?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The ROY contest is very interesting but it is a small step in the evolution of both these players as they improve on their weaknesses

I think Pheesa should target Maya as the level of player she can potentially evolve into. She will need to be more aggressive and a more consistent shooter outside the paint but I think she has the physical tools, BB IQ and attitude to reach such levels. I think part of being more aggressive is having her teammates feeding her the ball all over the court better and her coach letting her get touches on more sets. Having players like Sheppard should help.

I think Arike already is already a long way to looking like Chelsea Gray. She needs to develop a more balanced pass first approach (not just when double or triple teamed) and having good players around will help immensely and learn to take higher percentage shots. Defense is a work in progress. I do not see the lightning quickness to be a real ball hawk but she may work her way i to becoming a good positional defender. Also, she has to control her emotions which lead to fouls, technicals and hoisting up shots

and I would add McCowan to the list

In the future, I think we are looking at multiple year All Star players, all WNBA players and Olympians

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Don’t forget about Rebekkah Brunson. She was a Lynx starter last year. They’re missing her too. She is the WNBA all-time leading rebounder. She is currently the only player to win 5 WNBA championships.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wow hard to believe the writers got it correct
The writers didn't. This just the ESPN staff voting. A big nothing for Phee. The select group of sports journalists' opinion is the one that matters.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So the ESPN panel voted Pheesa 7–1 for ROY, but left her off their 9-player All-WNBA team an put Arike on it??
It is ESPN. They just like to stir the pot. Click bait!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who didn't vote for Phee? Mechelle Voepel!!!
See Dallas Wings' Arike Ogunbowale is top candidate for WNBA Rookie of the Year

I wonder how KLS' Mother feels about this: espnW Coach of the Year: James Wade, Chicago Sky

This article was brought up extensively on this board at the time and some thought this was evidence Voepel had Arike as ROY. But it was soon hashed out that the title was misleading (click bait) and Voepel did not put her hat in the ring about the ROY but just wrote about her as an up and coming excellent player who she found interesting to write about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom