ESPNW Player of the Week | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPNW Player of the Week

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Wow! I thought expressing my opinion on a UConn fan board about a UConn player deserving an award could just be accepted/appreciated/agreed with/or whatever. I don't care why somebody thinks that the person getting awarded is more qualified because obviously that's what EspnW thought. I was stating my "opinion" and it isn't going to change no matter what any of you post. It's also my "opinion" that if certain players from certain teams accomplished the same thing, they would be the Player of the Week.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1.........

Reaction Score
Wow! I thought expressing my opinion on a UConn fan board about a UConn player deserving an award could just be accepted/appreciated/agreed with/or whatever. I don't care why somebody thinks that the person getting awarded is more qualified because obviously that's what EspnW thought. I was stating my "opinion" and it isn't going to change no matter what any of you post. It's also my "opinion" that if certain players from certain teams accomplished the same thing, they would be the Player of the Week.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1....
I mean, it was just up for discussion. No need to be so dramatic. You put your opinion, so anyone is free to their counter opinion as well. Since this is a dicussion board. I felt like my argument was pretty solid, but it is noted that from now on that any possible discussions is negated by the fact that "it's UConn.'

Reaction Score
There are now 2 players who have won this award, Kea & Williams, for performances against Notre Dame. It is perhaps revealing that both players were guarded primarily by Ogunbowale. Looks like Arike is spending more time planning her TV career than in practicing defense.

Reaction Score
Didn't want to start a new thread, but I copied and pasted this from "Benny's House", an Oregon State Sports Blog. Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but interesting when comparing Sabrina I. & Mikayla Pivec stats. My view of this is what I have been saying all year about Sabrina, that Sabrina doesn't have to carry the Ducks anymore with all the potent offensive power they have. And, conversely, Mikayla Pivec has had to take more responsibility to score & rebound at OSU:

Ionescu:

minutes per game: 34.8 overall 35.9 conference
shots per game: 14.8 overall 16.2 conference
FG%: 44.6% overall 40% conference
3pt %: 44.7% overall 32% conference
points per game: 19.4 overall 18.4 conference
free throw attempts per game: 4.2 overall 3.8 conference
rebounds: 152 overall 54 in conference

Pivic:

minutes per game: 32.1 overall 35 conference
shots per game: 10 overall 10.4 conference
FG%: 56.5% overall 56.6% conference
3pt %: 50% overall 46.7 conference
points per game: 15.1 overall 17.1 conference
free throw attempts per game: 4.2 overall 5.4 conference
rebounds: 184 overall 74 in conference

Pivic is scoring just over one point per game less than Ionescu in conference play, while shooting 6 less shots per game.....and with 20 more conference rebounds. I'm not really trying to compare players, because individual stats don't tell the whole story, but I do think that there are many that don't recognize what a great year Pivic is having.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well that settles it - you can't win POTW if your team loses a game. Durr had a world-beating 12 points and 4 assists in their beatdown of Clemson, while Anigwe had 25 PTs/24 RBs and 20 PTs/20 RBs games against Stanford x2 and Huff had 38 PTs/11 RBs vs. Oregon and 17 PTs/12 RBs vs. Oregon State.

They might as well call it the MVP in the week's high-profile ESPN-televised game award, because that's who always gets it. Which is fine, I guess, but then it's really less about the player than the significance of the game.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
They might as well call it the MVP in the week's high-profile ESPN-televised game award, because that's who always gets it. Which is fine, I guess, but then it's really less about the player than the significance of the game.
I think you're on to something here.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Not always true. Wasn't the case in the awards to Kierra Anthony, Katie Benzan and Cierra Dillard, for example.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised if during the weeks those players won there were no high-profile games on ESPN/ESPN2 that featured any of the nationally prominent players. ESPN seems to like to reward Mid-Major superstars on the weeks when the calendar is relatively quiet.

Maryland-South Carolina was a featured game on the flagship ESPN on Nov. 18, but Kierra Anthony was named POTW for that week.

Baylor vs. Arizona State (Nov. 11) was another ESPN-featured game that did not yield a POTW award. That award went instead to Anigwe, after Cal beat Houston and Penn State (whoopee).

(Speaking of that, the fact that Anigwe had already won a POTW award may have weighed against her this time around. I get the sense that they like to spread the wealth with this one.)

Other examples are available as well, if you look at this list:
Center Court: ESPN’s Industry-Leading Women’s College Basketball Coverage - ESPN MediaZone U.S.

Reaction Score
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25969591/iowa-megan-gustafson-espnw-player-week

After two more performances in which Gustafson showed that she'll score no matter how teams guard her or how many defenders they use to do it, she is the espnW national player of the week. Gustafson has been on our "also considered" list almost every week this season, which is understandable considering she leads Division I in scoring (27.2 PPG), is second in field goal percentage (70.4) and is tied for fifth in rebounding (12.7).

Also considered: Kalani Brown, Baylor; Cece Hooks, Ohio; Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon; Beatrice Mompremier, Miami; Micheala Onyenwere, UCLA

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Player I was most impressed with this week was Emese Hof, for what she put up against Notre Dame - beating down Jessica Shepard and Brianna Turner.

Reaction Score
Obvious West Coast bias. Almost half of the weekly winners are from the Pac 12. :rolleyes:

It's a proper bias. I've seen more good basketball from West Coast teams this year than ever before.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
How was Napheesa not even considered following the week that she had?
Three letters: A. A. C. Beating up on two second-rate, sub-.500 teams doesn't compare to beating the MSU team that toppled Oregon and the OSU team that itself has several decent upsets. Not her fault, but you had to put up insane numbers to get consideration on a week of uninteresting, predictable team matchups.

(and remember, last season Hebard didn't get POW once while she was on her insane, record-setting run of games in the PAC-12 without missing a field goal, so merely shooting well isn't apparently enough in its own.)

Reaction Score
1. Kristine Anigwe - California
2. Kierra Anthony - Louisiana Tech
3. Jackie Young - Notre Dame
4. Christyn Williams - Connecticut
5. Jenna Allen - Michigan St
6. Alanna Smith - Stanford
7. Sabrina Ionescu - Oregon
8. Katie Benzan - Harvard
9. Kalani Brown - Baylor
10. Cierra Dillard - Buffalo
11. Teaira McCowan - Mississippi St
12. Paris Kea - North Carolina
13. Asia Durr - Louisville
14. Megan Gustafson - Iowa
—————————————————-

Oregon's Ionescu is espnW's player of the week
What did I miss that put Christyn Williams number 4 on that list? I mean she did hit a shot and had a huge smile after doing so. But she dominated nothing last week. Did they feel " no list of superlatives is complete" without UCONN?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What did I miss that put Christyn Williams number 4 on that list? I mean she did hit a shot and had a huge smile after doing so. But she dominated nothing last week. Did they feel " no list of superlatives is complete" without UCONN?
That’s the “By Week” winner when CW dominated ND

Reaction Score
Three letters: A. A. C. Beating up on two second-rate, sub-.500 teams doesn't compare to beating the MSU team that toppled Oregon and the OSU team that itself has several decent upsets. Not her fault, but you had to put up insane numbers to get consideration on a week of uninteresting, predictable team matchups.

(and remember, last season Hebard didn't get POW once while she was on her insane, record-setting run of games in the PAC-12 without missing a field goal, so merely shooting well isn't apparently enough in its own.)

And Ohio played a better schedule last week than UConn did?

Plebe

Reaction Score
And Ohio played a better schedule last week than UConn did?
Yes, they did. Ohio picked up a significant road win over Central Michigan.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Probably gonna be Collier or Hof this week. I personally am more in awe with Hof because she led an upset (and let's not forget Notre Dame... but that obviously shouldn't count because it's last week). Despite that, I can see why they would end up picking Collier. 15 field goals made. 65% on 23 field goal attempts is very hard to do; and add 16 rebounds to that. I'm fine with either choice, but on a UConn board... I should probably say Collier deserves it this week. Hof though is making Miami suddently a threat to upset in the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom