ESPNW Player of the Week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPNW Player of the Week

Reaction Score
EDCCBDE2-DE8C-4BF2-8CFE-A2E1C8269D7E.jpeg

If you do you math, 111 FT’s are nearly 8 made per game :confused:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Could be an interesting 3 way battle for the scoring title this year.

Reaction Score
Pivec is a great player, but the problem is it's hard to be MVP or AA when you don't even have the best guard stats on your team. Slocum has more ppg and assists. Pivec has better shooting percentage and a lot more rebounds, but she's only averaging 14.8 ppg and 8.5 rebounds/pg, with a nearly 1:1 assists/turnover ratio. So she has neither the stats of a top guard (shooting or point), nor the monster rebounds and blocks of the top posts. Put it this way: Alanna Smith from Stanford is in 3 mins fewer per game averaging 5 more ppg (19.7), close to equal rpg (7.6) and assists, equal assist/turnover ratio, better ft%, 4x the blocks, and roughly equal steals - as a post. If she's not a topline A-A/MVP candidate, how is Pivec? Or compare to Evina Westbrook: Westbrook in equal minutes has better ppg (16.3), steals, double the assists, and 3:2 assist/turnover ratio. And she isn't even on the mid-season Wade Trophy watch list. Competition is just too steep at the top when you have stats crushers like Ionescu, Durr, Pheesa, Lou, Ogunbowale, Aari McDonald, etc.

Pivec is very good, but Rueck is totally self-serving when saying that, cause she just doesn't compare to the very top players in the country - as of now.
Appreciate the detailed response. Alana Smith is my POY thus far through this year's WCBB Season. Alana Smith should be a "topline" A-A/MVP candidate, and cannot imagine she won't be. Let's wait to see how the rest of the PAC-12 season plays out, including when Stanford and OSU play and revisit my views of Pivec. Sorry, but stats don't tell the whole story. Coaches and other players are a better source. FYI, I bet if you asked Tara who are the best guards in the PAC-12, Pivec would definitely be on the list (that is because Tara said it last year in a television interview)

I think you mis-characterized Rueck as "self serving". For him to make this statement about a player on his team was surprising. Rueck had nothing to gain, and, he rarely makes such comments. The one thing I do hear Rueck say frequently is that there is no better preparation for the NCAA Tournament than playing in the PAC-12 conference. Outside of this, the only thing Rueck promotes on a regular basis is the fan base at Oregon State.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec is a great player, but the problem is it's hard to be MVP or AA when you don't even have the best guard stats on your team. Slocum has more ppg and assists. Pivec has better shooting percentage and a lot more rebounds, but she's only averaging 14.8 ppg and 8.5 rebounds/pg, with a nearly 1:1 assists/turnover ratio. So she has neither the stats of a top guard (shooting or point), nor the monster rebounds and blocks of the top posts. Put it this way: Alanna Smith from Stanford is in 3 mins fewer per game averaging 5 more ppg (19.7), close to equal rpg (7.6) and assists, equal assist/turnover ratio, better ft%, 4x the blocks, and roughly equal steals - as a post. If she's not a topline A-A/MVP candidate, how is Pivec? Or compare to Evina Westbrook: Westbrook in equal minutes has better ppg (16.3), steals, double the assists, and 3:2 assist/turnover ratio. And she isn't even on the mid-season Wade Trophy watch list. Competition is just too steep at the top when you have stats crushers like Ionescu, Durr, Pheesa, Lou, Ogunbowale, Aari McDonald, etc.

Pivec is very good, but Rueck is totally self-serving when saying that, cause she just doesn't compare to the very top players in the country - as of now.

I think you are glossing over a few things. 8.5 rebounds as a guard is a huge number. Also looking at her FG%--.571. That is a ridiculous number for a guard. That is off the charts efficiency. Of course someone like Hebard from Oregon has a much higher percentage, but she never shoots from more than 5 feet from the hoop. Pivec also hitting a nice symmetrical .571 from 3. Again, ridiculous. She has limited attempts, but she's money when she takes them.

FWIW I think Smith should be up there near the leaders for post season hardware. She's having a fantastic season for a team that is having a very good year.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think you are glossing over a few things. 8.5 rebounds as a guard is a huge number. Also looking at her FG%--.571. That is a ridiculous number for a guard. That is off the charts efficiency. Of course someone like Hebard from Oregon has a much higher percentage, but she never shoots from more than 5 feet from the hoop. Pivec also hitting a nice symmetrical .571 from 3. Again, ridiculous. She has limited attempts, but she's money when she takes them.

FWIW I think Smith should be up there near the leaders for post season hardware. She's having a fantastic season for a team that is having a very good year.

I think Pivec is an excellent player and her shooting and rebounding this year have been amazing. What keeps her from conversations regarding top guards imo is that, despite the fact that her shooting and rebounding are far above average, her free throw percentage and, more importantly, her assist to turnover ratio aren't (for a guard, that is). I think the former is only in the mid 60s--a real puzzle for someone who is light's out from the field--and she has barely more assists than turnovers, whereas, to look at OSU guards only, someone like Slocum has an assist to turnover ratio close to 2:1, and that's not even a terrific number for a guard, or, better still, Goodman, whose assists more than double her turnovers.

As for Smith, unless things change,I think she's likely on track to be Pac 12 Player of the Year and will make more than one All-American list.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec got off to a terrible start w/ FTs for some inexplicable reason. She was down around 50%. Her percentage is climbing steadily, she seems to have that issue corrected. She was 12-12 against the LA schools. I think her FT shooting is fine.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec's A/TO ratio and assists/game was much better last year when she was playing PG primarily, but her shooting numbers have improved dramatically. She doesn't need to have high assists numbers, that's what Slocum is there for. Her huge uptick in shooting accuracy is more than worth the trade off.

Pac 12 POY will probably come down to Smith vs. Ionescu, could be interesting. Maybe will depend on who wins the conference crown.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Pivec's A/TO ratio and assists/game was much better last year when she was playing PG primarily, but her shooting numbers have improved dramatically. She doesn't need to have high assists numbers, that's what Slocum is there for. Her huge uptick in shooting accuracy is more than worth the trade off.

Pac 12 POY will probably come down to Smith vs. Ionescu, could be interesting. Maybe will depend on who wins the conference crown.

Just to clarify the point I was trying to make, the issue from my point of view is not the number of assists but the relationship between assists and turnovers, which according to the OSU site is currently only slightly above 1:1.1 (49 to 43). The increase in shooting percentage may well be worth it, but I do think that the number of turnovers in relation to the number of assists is perhaps what keeps her off MVP and AA lists.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St. turns the ball over a lot. It's just a fact of life. Wiese turned it over all the time, Pivec turns it over, Slocum turns it over. I wish they didn't cough it up so often, but it's been going on for years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Dillard in Albany at the Regionals last year. She almost single-handedly beat South Carolina. The fans loved her.

Reaction Score
I think Pivec is an excellent player and her shooting and rebounding this year have been amazing. What keeps her from conversations regarding top guards imo is that, despite the fact that her shooting and rebounding are far above average, her free throw percentage and, more importantly, her assist to turnover ratio aren't (for a guard, that is). I think the former is only in the mid 60s--a real puzzle for someone who is light's out from the field--and she has barely more assists than turnovers, whereas, to look at OSU guards only, someone like Slocum has an assist to turnover ratio close to 2:1, and that's not even a terrific number for a guard, or, better still, Goodman, whose assists more than double her turnovers.

As for Smith, unless things change,I think she's likely on track to be Pac 12 Player of the Year and will make more than one All-American list.

Pivec's stats thus far in 4 x PAC-12 games are pretty darn good:

USC: 6-10 FG, 1-1 3-pt, 8-8 FT, 7 rebounds
UCLA: 8-11 FG, 1-1 3-pt, 4-4 FT, 7 rebounds
UW: 4-8 FG, 2-3 3-pt, 7-8 FT, 5 rebounds
WSU: 5-10 FG, 1-2 3-pt, 3-4 FT, 7 rebounds

Not to mention, Pivec almost always is guarding the best wing/forward on the opposing team. And, I think Pivec has "fixed" her FT issues. Just look at the last 4 games. In fact, what guard/wing has better stats than Pivec in their last 4 games? Her scoring is inside and outside, not one dimensional. If Pivec is being defended tight on the 3-point line, she blows by the defense. If they give her the outside shot, she buries it. Pivec is the leader of the OSU Team, gets the critical buckets, critical rebounds, critical defensive stops. Should OSU finally get some national exposure, others will see what OSU Fans see every game.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State's McCowan is espnW's player of the week

In the 85-59 victory at Auburn on Monday, she had 22 points -- going 9-of-10 from the field -- 10 rebounds and three blocks. But her biggest game of the week was against the rival Gamecocks.

McCowan stepped up big against S.C., as usual, with 26 points, a season-high 24 rebounds and two blocked shots. It was the fifth 20-20 game of her career. She was 9-of-15 from the field and 8-of-9 from the foul line.

Also considered: Kianna Ibis, Arizona State; Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon; Alanna Smith, Stanford

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
East Coast(or close to east coast) bias.....as usual.

Which would you prefer as a conference, 1 winner or 3 equally deserving winners under consideration. I am very jealous. ;)

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
And what about the player who outscored her opponent single handedly? Oh that's right, it happens so often that she shouldn't have been considered.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
And what about the player who outscored her opponent single handedly? Oh that's right, it happens so often that she shouldn't have been considered.
That was certainly an impressive feat for Megan, but McCowan had a better week against better competition..

Walker: Points 22.5, Reb 9.5, Ast 1, Blocks 0, Stl 1.5, TO 5.0, FG 57%, 3FG 5-11 total

McCowan: Pts 24.0, Reb 17.0, Ast 0, Blks 2.5, Stl 0.5, TO 1.5, FG 72%, 3FG 0-0

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
That was certainly an impressive feat for Megan, but McCowan had a better week against better competition..

Walker: Points 22.5, Reb 9.5, Ast 1, Blocks 0, Stl 1.5, TO 5.0, FG 57%, 3FG 5-11 total

McCowan: Pts 24.0, Reb 17.0, Ast 0, Blks 2.5, Stl 0.5, TO 1.5, FG 72%, 3FG 0-0
Yes but based upon the post that (I believe) quoted the article, this was a common occurrence for TM, not so much for what Megan did.
I would also like to know who in WCBB has previously accomplished what Meg accomplished. I believe that the previous time it was accomplished was in a men's game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes but based upon the post that (I believe) quoted the article, this was a common occurrence for TM, not so much for what Megan did.
I would also like to know who in WCBB has previously accomplished what Meg accomplished. I believe that the previous time it was accomplished was in a men's game.

Maybe she can get the AAC player of the week.

Reaction Score
McCowan's was way more impressive than Walker's performance. If she puts up 34 against Louisville and has another 20 point game against whoever else they play that week, then she can be considered. Beating up on an AAC teaming isn't all that impressive.

Reaction Score
McCowan's was way more impressive than Walker's performance. If she puts up 34 against Louisville and has another 20 point game against whoever else they play that week, then she can be considered. Beating up on an AAC teaming isn't all that impressive.

McCowan had as many rebounds as the whole SC team.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I like the "also considered" list this week. It consists of three players, all from the Pac-12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom