9. Kalani Brown - Baylor
10. Cierra Dillard - Buffalo
11. Teaira McCowan - Mississippi St
12. Paris Kea - North Carolina
13. Asia Durr - Louisville
14. Megan Gustafson - Iowa
—————————————————-

Oregon's Ionescu is espnW's player of the week

Oregon closed its nonconference season with a flourish. Guard Sabrina Ionescu had her 13th and 14th triple-doubles. And will no doubt add to her NCAA record once the Pac-12 season begins.

Nobody in women's or men's college basketball has mastered the triple-double like Ionescu has, and she's just a junior. Ionescu led the way in victories over Mississippi State, Air Force and UC Irvine for the 11-1 Ducks and is the espnW national player of the week.

Also nominated: Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame; Napheesa Collier, UConn; Megan Gustafson, Iowa; Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn; Alanna Smith, Stanford

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think she deserved it this week. What she has done is truly remarkable and will likely be a record that holds for some time. If ( I really hope) she stays for here Senior campaign that number could reach 20+

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Back to back triple doubles is impressive. I kinda would've liked to see Alanna Smith get it again. She had a monster game against Buffalo and a good game against Tennessee. I don't think any team had a better week than Stanford, picking up a pair of quality road wins. Oregon's opponents were cannon fodder.

Reaction Score
Back to back triple doubles is impressive. I kinda would've liked to see Alanna Smith get it again. She had a monster game against Buffalo and a good game against Tennessee. I don't think any team had a better week than Stanford, picking up a pair of quality road wins. Oregon's opponents were cannon fodder.
Mississippi St. was cannon fodder? That was just last Tuesday.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This is why I think the PAC12 season will be the one to watch. There are some top teams (Stanford/Oregon/Oregon State/Cal/Arizona State) and some teams that I wanna see (USC/Utah/Arizona/UCLA) how they stack up against each other. The unbalanced PAC12 schedule makes Stanford the early favorite. The Cardinal only play the Oregon schools once and its in Palo Alto (as does Cal). You can usually bet Oregon and Oregon State getting a split at home as rival games mean nothing to rankings. Its going to be an interesting conference race for sure.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ionescu was 17 of 17 from the FT line vs. Mississippi State.

Does anyone know what the NCAA record is for most made free throws in a game without a miss?

Just curious.

Reaction Score
Ionescu was 17 of 17 from the FT line vs. Mississippi State.

Does anyone know what the NCAA record is for most made free throws in a game without a miss?

Just curious.
26. I had to look it up.

Reaction Score
A lot of other great performances. I've been impressed with DiJonai Carrington of Stanford. DiJonai has really had some terrific games as of late--Stanford doesn't win these games without her contributions. I was at the Oregon State game yesterday, and Destiny Slocum was truly amazing. She is finally getting recognition for the contributions she is making at OSU.

Reaction Score
This award is basically which player had the best game in the most important/upset game of the week.

It looks that way for the most part. Best player in an upset game. And if there are no big upset games, maybe take time to honor the triple double maker. :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lot of other great performances. I've been impressed with DiJonai Carrington of Stanford. DiJonai has really had some terrific games as of late--Stanford doesn't win these games without her contributions.

She can definitely be electrifying. I'd like to see her be more of a consistent scorer.

Reaction Score
Sorry but Kelani receiving this award with 1 of her 2 games being 10 points & 2 rebounds is a joke. Yes, she played great against UConn but last time I checked this isn’t player of the game in the game of the week.

Reaction Score
Sorry but Kelani receiving this award with 1 of her 2 games being 10 points & 2 rebounds is a joke. Yes, she played great against UConn but last time I checked this isn’t player of the game in the game of the week.

I mean 10 mins of play and she got 10 pts / 2 reb / 1 assist pretty efficient if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Buffalo's Dillard is espnW's player of the week

Cierra Dillard put on a show last postseason, leading Buffalo to the Sweet 16. And the guard is still lighting up the scoreboard for the Bulls.

Dillard scored a school-record 43 points and added five rebounds and five assists Wednesday in leading Buffalo over Eastern Michigan 91-84 in overtime. The game was a display of great guard play, as Dillard's counterpart for Eastern Michigan, Danielle Minott, also scored -- believe it or not -- 43 points.

Then Saturday in a 66-59 victory at Miami (Ohio), Dillard had 26 points, five rebounds and 10 assists. Those back-to-back performances earned the 5-foot-9 senior espnW national player of the week honors.

Also nominated: Reyna Frost, Central Michigan; Natisha Hiedeman, Marquette; Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse; Bre Kavanaugh, Fordham; Aari McDonald, Arizona; Satou Sabally, Oregon; Alanna Smith, Stanford

Reaction Score
Oregon State players will just sit under the shade of the moss & rain cover until the NCAA Tournament. Mikayla Pivec should have been on this list. She is playing like an AA right now.

"She’s the most versatile, the most valuable player that not enough people are talking about in our sport in the country,” coach Scott Rueck said.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Oregon State players will just sit under the shade of the moss & rain cover until the NCAA Tournament. Mikayla Pivec should have been on this list. She is playing like an AA right now. Can't find the Scott Rueck quote, but he stated in so many words that "Mikayla Pivec is the MVP that nobody is talking about".
Pivec is a great player, but the problem is it's hard to be MVP or AA when you don't even have the best guard stats on your team. Slocum has more ppg and assists. Pivec has better shooting percentage and a lot more rebounds, but she's only averaging 14.8 ppg and 8.5 rebounds/pg, with a nearly 1:1 assists/turnover ratio. So she has neither the stats of a top guard (shooting or point), nor the monster rebounds and blocks of the top posts. Put it this way: Alanna Smith from Stanford is in 3 mins fewer per game averaging 5 more ppg (19.7), close to equal rpg (7.6) and assists, equal assist/turnover ratio, better ft%, 4x the blocks, and roughly equal steals - as a post. If she's not a topline A-A/MVP candidate, how is Pivec? Or compare to Evina Westbrook: Westbrook in equal minutes has better ppg (16.3), steals, double the assists, and 3:2 assist/turnover ratio. And she isn't even on the mid-season Wade Trophy watch list. Competition is just too steep at the top when you have stats crushers like Ionescu, Durr, Pheesa, Lou, Ogunbowale, Aari McDonald, etc.

Pivec is very good, but Rueck is totally self-serving when saying that, cause she just doesn't compare to the very top players in the country - as of now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom