ESPNW No. 35 - Diana | The Boneyard

ESPNW No. 35 - Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
As Ann Meyers Drysdale, general manager of the Mercury, puts it, "You just can't wait for her to have the ball in her hands, to see what might happen."

LINK

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A lot of people say that Geno's quote was, "We have Diana and you don't". What he actually said was:

"We won this game, because we have Diana Taurasi and nobody else in the country does," said Auriemma.

Note the quote was from a Philly paper, not a Connecticut one. As much as people want to make that phrase a taunt by Geno, it was a comment regarding Diana and how she dominated a game vs Rutgers. Just wanted to set the facts straight, not that anyone will pay attention. A lie repeated enough times will eventually become the "truth".

Reaction Score
A lot of people say that Geno's quote was, "We have Diana and you don't". What he actually said was:

"We won this game, because we have Diana Taurasi and nobody else in the country does," said Auriemma.

Note the quote was from a Philly paper, not a Connecticut one. As much as people want to make that phrase a taunt by Geno, it was a comment regarding Diana and how she dominated a game vs Rutgers. Just wanted to set the facts straight, not that anyone will pay attention. A lie repeated enough times will eventually become the "truth".

Point noted, and it's good to remind ourselves of this once in a while. But as much as my literalist sense wants to agree with you, I have a difficult time with the case you make. Would any fan ever repeat the actual, historically correct version?

No.

Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" either. But the revisionist version does a better job encapsulating the essence of the situation and, frankly, flows better. It's that way with a lot of "He never said it" arguments. The Italians even have a phrase for it: ben trovato, which is, believe it or not, entered as an English phrase in the Merriam-Webster Third New International Dictionary.

And as far as outright placing words in someone's mouth goes, Yogi Berra never said "It's deja vu all over again," although he claimed he did 15 years after he categorically denied uttering that famous line. The reason? He now had a book to sell.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Two former LVs in the 55 second video clip. Nice. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What was the previous link that was posted that had DT at #3? I somehow confused that with the ESPN list I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom