espnW :Geno Auriemma Says To Temper Expectations, But We Know Better | The Boneyard

espnW :Geno Auriemma Says To Temper Expectations, But We Know Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-11-4_13-11-37.png

STORRS, Conn. -- Coach Geno Auriemma has one question for people who are picking his UConn Huskies as preseason No. 1: What the heck are you thinking?

..."Well, you've always been No. 1.' OK, that's a lazy answer." ...But if he wants to hear why some of us are voting UConn No. 1, it's not out of laziness. It's out of experience. As the saying goes, we've seen this movie before.

...And some classic Auriemma sarcasm was directed her [Samuelson] way after the Huskies' first exhibition game Tuesday, a 111-39 victory over Indiana of Pennsylvania, so you know she must be doing OK.

..."I'm sure any day now, sometime within the next four or five months, Lou will throw a pass," Auriemma said. "And we'll have made some progress."

[LINK] to full article.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Actually, Lou did start passing after she missed her first 2 or 3 3-point attempts. She also started taking 2-point shots, and she hit most of those. (If she was 10 of 19 overall and 2 of 7 from 3, that tells you she was 8 of 12 from 2-point range. Several of those were layups.)

But I understand Geno's point (at least I think I do): Lou is not in the habit of looking for a pass. She is like a quarterback who always looks for the touchdown pass and misses open receivers who can get a first down. Her pattern recognition of opportunities on offense is not where it should be, or where it will be by the time she is a senior.

Which raises a question: who on this team is at that level of offensive pattern recognition? Only Kia Nurse comes to mind -- maybe Gabby also? Of course, Crystal seems to show some flair for that -- maybe she will be doing it by the time the AAC schedule rolls around.

Reaction Score
But I understand Geno's point (at least I think I do): Lou is not in the habit of looking for a pass. She is like a quarterback who always looks for the touchdown pass and misses open receivers who can get a first down. Her pattern recognition of opportunities on offense is not where it should be, or where it will be by the time she is a senior.
Perhaps, but I want to offer a different interpretation. Lou certainly looked to pass last year; was, in fact, a terrific passer after she had reworked herself into the starting line-up. I think that this year, she needs to work through her role, as everyone (including us!) has been saying she must be a big scorer, and probably she is drawing on her high school behavior right now. So, she will have to sort out shooting vs. distributing the ball UConn style, and, because she is fantastically coachable, she'll get that balance soon.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Expectations are tempered somewhat I think. Personally , I am in the camp of those that say it is No Way you lose the top 3 picks in the WNBA Draft , of which one is arguably the best WCBB player ever , and not have a drop off.
So my expectations are lowered. I am ready to accept some losses. I don't think we have the size , skill , player depth , or experience needed to repeat. Maybe an Elite 8. Out of the last 4 seasons , 2 were Undefeated seasons. With 4 NC's.......A historical run. Never happened before in WCBB.

Yeah , my expectations are tempered somewhat. But only for a season or 2.:cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Expectations are tempered somewhat I think. Personally , I am in the camp of those that say it is No Way you lose the top 3 picks in the WNBA Draft , of which one is arguably the best WCBB player ever , and not have a drop off.
So my expectations are lowered. I am ready to accept some losses. I don't think we have the size , skill , player depth , or experience needed to repeat. Maybe an Elite 8. Out of the last 4 seasons , 2 were Undefeated seasons. With 4 NC's..A historical run. Never happened before in WCBB.

Just one season for me. I think if UCONN makes FF, that will be a great season.

The following year, only losing Chong and Lawlor, picking up Stevens and Camara, plus the Freshmen, UCONN will have a great shot at another NC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So my expectations are lowered. I am ready to accept some losses. I don't think we have the size , skill , player depth , or experience needed to repeat. Maybe an Elite 8. Out of the last 4 seasons , 2 were Undefeated seasons. With 4 NC's..A historical run. Never happened before in WCBB.

HGH, honestly looking at the overall total picture this year, I've got to agree with you. I think you're being totally honest and real in your perception of the situation. Whether we choose to admit it or not is up to each individual. That HUGE Grand Canyon type chasm that existed the last few years between UConn and the rest of WCBB has closed. Of course there's a drop off. How much of a drop off remains to be seen.

They will still be formidable, but any coach understands, and will tell you, you must have the horses to win a race. No matter how steeped in tradition you are, no matter how great the coaching is, no matter the level of your team's recent success, you must have the size, skill and depth to contend with the top 5 teams you will encounter the last 3-4 games of the tournament.

Last year, UConn had WCBB's version of the "Dream team". They had the horses. This is a new year. There's a new Sheriff in town. I'll repeat what Diana Taurasi said two years ago. "If you're going to beat UConn, you'd better do it THIS year, because next year, they're going to be unbeatable". She sure called that one correctly. Next year's Husky team will have more experience, more depth, a better understanding of the system. The freshmen will have a full and complete understanding of what they are suppose to be doing.

Three more (maybe 4) highly touted freshmen coming in to bolster the depth chart. This season will be anything but dull. UConn can't take any team for granted this year. Not even conference games. EVERY game this season will be an adventure for the Huskies.

Everyone returns next year except Chong and Lawlor. The target has been removed from UConn's back this year. The consensus in WCBB this year is that Notre Dame is the team to beat. We'll see. We're NOT throwing the towel on this season, quite the opposite. We're going into the season with guns a blazing, letting the chips fall where they may. To the winner goes the spoils. I fully expect the Huskies to seriously challenge for a NC next year. Go Huskies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually, Lou did start passing after she missed her first 2 or 3 3-point attempts. She also started taking 2-point shots, and she hit most of those. (If she was 10 of 19 overall and 2 of 7 from 3, that tells you she was 8 of 12 from 2-point range. Several of those were layups.)

Which raises a question: who on this team is at that level of offensive pattern recognition? Only Kia Nurse comes to mind -- maybe Gabby also? Of course, Crystal seems to show some flair for that -- maybe she will be doing it by the time the AAC schedule rolls around.
Fun take Joe - but I agree with Bags27 on the mental progression for Lou - first game, first time without the grads on the floor with her, and she is still figuring out the offensive flow - I thought two or three of her early shots were bad because they came too soon in the offense, not that she wasn't both open and didn't have an obvious more open teammate to pass to. After those first 'jitters' in her game, I thought she settled down just fine - she kept shooting but the shots were more in the flow of the offense.
And to your question of pattern recognition - I think all of the starters were pretty good at that - very good considering it was the first live action. The offense flowed really well and people were making good decisions on passing, driving, and shooting. How that looks when they face better defense and some of their options are squeezed is another issue, and one we will not get answered on Sunday.

HGN

Reaction Score
Just one season for me. I think if UCONN makes FF, that will be a great season.

The following year, only losing Chong and Lawlor, picking up Stevens and Camara, plus the Freshmen, UCONN will have a great shot at another NC.
Meyers, my thoughts exactly. If other teams want a piece of UConn they better take a bite out of them this year. Because next year the Huskies will be showing their fangs and doing the biting again. And taking a bite out of everything that comes along.

Stevens and Camara will have the benefit of a year in the Husky system. They will have practiced and trained for a year. To say they will be ready to go is an understatement. And as you pointed out , that 2017 freshmen Class will come in ready to rock and roll as well. We don't have to do it every year. But they showed the world that they can when they want to.

The Huskies have won 4 in a row.....So they take a year off to rest. Maybe do a talk show. LOL......... Maybe let another team win it. Then come back the following year and just blow the tires (sneakers) off everybody.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I want to offer a different interpretation. Lou certainly looked to pass last year; was, in fact, a terrific passer after she had reworked herself into the starting line-up. I think that this year, she needs to work through her role, as everyone (including us!) has been saying she must be a big scorer, and probably she is drawing on her high school behavior right now. So, she will have to sort out shooting vs. distributing the ball UConn style, and, because she is fantastically coachable, she'll get that balance soon.

From past seasons with Geno--he does this dance--"Are you crazy picking Uconn"--Humble Brag!!
As you pointed out---Geno EXPeCTS Katie Lou to attack and shoot and be an offensive leader--that is her role, but too so is tough Defense--Katie Lou knows that--and so does Geno.
As always--your analysis of what Katie Lou did --and where she is going--must be excellent since I agree with every word. (another humble brag)

Reaction Score
HGH, honestly looking at the overall total picture this year, I've got to agree with you. I think you're being totally honest and real in your perception of the situation. Whether we choose to admit it or not is up to each individual. That HUGE Grand Canyon type chasm that existed the last few years between UConn and the rest of WCBB has closed. Of course there's a drop off. How much of a drop off remains to be seen.

They will still be formidable, but any coach understands, and will tell you, you must have the horses to win a race. No matter how steeped in tradition you are, no matter how great the coaching is, no matter the level of your team's recent success, you must have the size, skill and depth to contend with the top 5 teams you will encounter the last 3-4 games of the tournament.

Last year, UConn had WCBB's version of the "Dream team". They had the horses. This is a new year. There's a new Sheriff in town. I'll repeat what Diana Taurasi said two years ago. "If you're going to beat UConn, you'd better do it THIS year, because next year, they're going to be unbeatable". She sure called that one correctly. Next year's Husky team will have more experience, more depth, a better understanding of the system. The freshmen will have a full and complete understanding of what they are suppose to be doing.

Three more (maybe 4) highly touted freshmen coming in to bolster the depth chart. This season will be anything but dull. UConn can't take any team for granted this year. Not even conference games. EVERY game this season will be an adventure for the Huskies.

Everyone returns next year except Chong and Lawlor. The target has been removed from UConn's back this year. The consensus in WCBB this year is that Notre Dame is the team to beat. We'll see. We're NOT throwing the towel on this season, quite the opposite. We're going into the season with guns a blazing, letting the chips fall where they may. To the winner goes the spoils. I fully expect the Huskies to seriously challenge for a NC next year. Go Huskies.

Notre Dame MAY Be the team to beat this year---but any team that does not take Uconn seriously should just add the "L" to their won/lost column before the game.
In no uncertain terms---This WILL NOT be a dull year if for no other reason than to watch 10 kids grow into champions---
Meyers 7--is correct the Final 4 --is where I see Uconn (I used Carnac's envelop my crystal balls are out at the cleaner)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let me reprise a post from the past, about expectations:

"There are places where support of a team is treated as a matter of life or death. Here in Connecticut we consider our Huskies' games to be much more serious.":)

Reaction Score
With this tough early schedule (plus SC), 3 or even 4 losses would not surprise me. IMHO it would all be in the "learning and finding our starting 5 mode." Clearly it looks like the top 8 teams are very good and any of that group could win it all. As Muffett says, "Parity." Maybe UCLA could be slipped into the top pack, however IMO the level of competition falls off dramatically after the top 8. IMO, UConn makes the Regional Finals. Who knows from there? With Geno and the winning culture, I do know that NO TEAM will want to play UConn in that Regional Final.
As for size or lack of size, I look at Syracuse and Washington last year and they did not have size. They had their own style of play that defeated the bigger teams--especially Syracuse.
Question for the BY - Could UConn --this year--put together a team to play the "Syracuse Style" that would be better than Syracuse playing that style? I would take UConn any day of the week. Same could be said of the Washington team style and even Oregon State. Oregon State had the big girl, but she had her limitations.

Reaction Score

Exactly right, bags. One of the best parts of Lou's game last season was her ability to pass. Of course she had some pretty good folks to pass to. This year she will be expected to be a bigger part of the offense--that was what distinguished her in high school. I'm fairly sure that Geno has impressed upon her the need to up her scoring. But at UConn the rule remains the same: everybody moves until the best shot presents itself, and the ball goes to the open person. Then shoot (whoever you are).

Reaction Score
Notre Dame MAY Be the team to beat this year---but any team that does not take Uconn seriously should just add the "L" to their won/lost column before the game.
In no uncertain terms---This WILL NOT be a dull year if for no other reason than to watch 10 kids grow into champions---
Meyers 7--is correct the Final 4 --is where I see Uconn (I used Carnac's envelop my crystal balls are out at the cleaner)

BV, your "crystal balls are out at the cleaners"? I thought you sounded a little shrill today . . .

Reaction Score
I know that last year Lou and Collier executed pick n rolls or give and gos to perfection due to their AAU history/chemistry. Learning to pass in my opinion is more of when than say forcing a pass into the paint.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this season. Husky Nation, we are going to have a fun and amazing season. Buckle in, and enjoy the ride :). #UConnnumber1fanforever!!!!

Reaction Score
BV, your "crystal balls are out at the cleaners"? I thought you sounded a little shrill today . . .
I'm trying to show my feminine side ---I just read where men are evolving--(notice the increase of my higher tones???)

Reaction Score
With this tough early schedule (plus SC), 3 or even 4 losses would not surprise me. IMHO it would all be in the "learning and finding our starting 5 mode." Clearly it looks like the top 8 teams are very good and any of that group could win it all. As Muffett says, "Parity." Maybe UCLA could be slipped into the top pack, however IMO the level of competition falls off dramatically after the top 8. IMO, UConn makes the Regional Finals. Who knows from there? With Geno and the winning culture, I do know that NO TEAM will want to play UConn in that Regional Final.
As for size or lack of size, I look at Syracuse and Washington last year and they did not have size. They had their own style of play that defeated the bigger teams--especially Syracuse.
Question for the BY - Could UConn --this year--put together a team to play the "Syracuse Style" that would be better than Syracuse playing that style? I would take UConn any day of the week. Same could be said of the Washington team style and even Oregon State. Oregon State had the big girl, but she had her limitations.

How are doing Coach!! I guess lack of sizes means different things to different people. Uconn has 6/5, 6/3, 6/2, 6/1, 6/0 -- . Not all that size has mobility or athleticism. So what size do you want- bulk or height, slow or mobile?

Uconn--as you pointed out--has a chemistry/learning/ compatibility curve to scale--but as far a I can see they are all very intelligent women--and very sound in fundamentals. What they lack is experience, togetherness (cannot ever be overrated), and playing in Geno's system as a TEAM.
Good to read your stuff Coach--I learn a bit every time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Philly - agree to a point, but Washington started 6'3, 6'2, 6'2 and Osahor was a beast who could play defense against any big. Syracuse had the Day sisters 6'4" and 6'4", and Oregon State had Hamblin at 6'6 and and Hunter at 6'3 as starters and Gulich at 6'5 and Siegner at 6'3 as their subs, as well as McWilliams as a 6'2" guard to replace the 6'1" Wiese.
No question the Syracuse strategy was unique and confused many teams by creating the kind of chaos that KY used to dream about but the other teams were pretty conventional defensive teams with strong post defense, Osahor did present challenges on offense because she was scorching from three and yet also very capable as a low post player.
And yes there are many ways to skin a cat, but if Butler and Irwin are unable to provide strong post defense Geno will be working to disguise that weakness and it will likely open up the outside for a team like ND to exploit. Whether teams like Baylor and SC have enough quality outside shooting will be the question when we face them, ND we know does and combine that with Turner inside ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The #1 target is no longer there, nor the pressure that comes with it, but as you say, lots of programs that have felt the bitter strap of defeat at the hands of the huskies over the past few years. Some are poised to extract some revenge or "payback" if they can. Notre Dame referrers to it as "unfinished business".

Well, they can all take a number. We'll get to them all, one at a time. Come one, come all, the UConn Schooner is about to leave its berth on Sunday Nov 13, for its first stop in Tallahassee Florida the next day. Its final destination: Dallas Texas, site of the final four - Mar 31/Apr 2. Passage and accommodations are free to all those who would come. Welcome aboard. :)

17_wbb_finalfour_fc_300.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO KLS is at that level. Among last years starters KLS had the lowest A/TO ratio but you are talking about probably the All time best 5 passers to ever play on the same team. For this year team I would expect KLS to be no less than 3rd in A/TO ratio. She also 6'3" which gives her the added advantage of high low passing. Now what we really need is finisher.
Geno is always prodding but I think he got us looking in the wrong direction (passing) instead of shooting. The question I would ask Geno is do you really want KLS giving up shot attempts and if so, to who?

Coach there is not much about Syracuse last year that UCONN would want to emulate. That system specifically the reliance on 3 Point shooting is badly in need of supervision. 43 % of Syracuse shot attempts were from 3 point range. While Syracuse was busy jacking up 3 thier opponents collectively were shooting 1/2 as many 3 at the same percentage rate. That left Syracuse opponents plenty of energy to out shoot Syracuse on 2 PT FGA and also out rebound them.
Q badly needs to fire his accountant and every assistant coach that cannot comprehend why this is a losing hand. Of course when you make the FF a lot of things can get overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom