ESPNw Article on Top UConn-ND Moments | The Boneyard

ESPNw Article on Top UConn-ND Moments

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Apologies if this is posted on one of the many threads about upcoming games this week.
However, knowing this group, I figured it "might be of interest" :rolleyes:

Not surprisingly, I remember each and every one of these plays, both the ones that made me do a happy dance and the ones that made me run my hands through my hair.

Happy Dance:
- Alicia Ratay. Not just in that game, but just about anytime. In 2000-2001, she shot nearly 55% from three. Not just a bomber, either: solid rebounder.
- Natalie Novosel. "Nasty" was a well-trained, dogged player who fit right into this rivalry. Has had some good years in Australia.
- Ace hitting the layup!!! (Natalie Achonwa is one of my favorite Irish players.)

Hands in Hair, Face Down:
- Actually one was not in a game with UConn. It was Ace getting injured at the end of the Baylor win. No way we compete against UConn without Natalie's leadership and talent.
- KMS' daggers. Uggh.
- When Breanna Stewart became Stewie. It was painful for an Irish fan because you knew the jig was up for years.

UConn-Notre Dame rivalry: Top 10 best plays

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. How about another "Hands in Hair, Face Down"? So easily forgotten. Kia stealing the inbound pass and tying the game on a layup in the semi-finals as time was running out, and then running down the ND player who lost the ball out of bounds. If Gabby's subsequent shot finds the net, that game becomes part of UCONN's lore. For the record, I'm an ND grad with a UCONN grad daughter. Always torn, but I wanted that UCONN win for Gabby and Kia!

Reaction Score
LOL. How about another "Hands in Hair, Face Down"? So easily forgotten. Kia stealing the inbound pass and tying the game on a layup in the semi-finals as time was running out, and then running down the ND player who lost the ball out of bounds. If Gabby's subsequent shot finds the net, that game becomes part of UCONN's lore. For the record, I'm an ND grad with a UCONN grad daughter. Always torn, but I wanted that UCONN win for Gabby and Kia!
Watch the replay of Kia traveling on that break away layup. I know the refs don't have the guts to make that call, but it was so obvious.

Reaction Score
Thank you, but I'm not going to bother. The outcome is history and I prefer to recall the play as I remember seeing it, and the excitement that ensued.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom