ESPN's POY and FF picks | The Boneyard

ESPN's POY and FF picks

Reaction Score
I think Uconn is safely in the final 4. I saw that Utah was a 2 seed in their region. Gonna have to see it to believe that's gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Clark deserves POY. I thought she deserved it last year, though Boston was also a worthy winner and would be worthy of the award again this year.

I’m also glad they’re recognizing Siegrist. She deserves AA status. I still think Edwards deserves a spot on the 1st team AA list, but I don’t know who she replaces if they’re still going with 3 posts and 2 guards.

Reaction Score
My top 2 POY candidates are (1) Clark and (2) Siegrist. They are the top 2 scorers in the nation, playing in strong conferences, and are the primary reasons their team is successful.
I think I agree with this completely.

It's not a question of previous years, but of what someone has done this year. That why it's called Player of the Year. Boston is unquestionable a great player, maybe the greatest in WCBB. But Clark is having a better year this time around.

Also, it's not just about stats alone, although these matter. But it's also gotta take into account whether you're valuable to your team's success. The point was well taken that Clark means a lot more to Iowa's success than Boston does to SC's, and the same could be said for Siegrist and Villanova. I'm not saying Boston is irrelevant to SC's success, but only that they could probably limp to another NC if she were injured. I'm not sure Iowa or Villanova win another game without Clark or Siegrist.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My top 2 POY candidates are (1) Clark and (2) Siegrist. They are the top 2 scorers in the nation, playing in strong conferences, and are the primary reasons their team is successful.

I immediately went to Sports-Reference when I saw the post that it has NCAAW now. Siegrist has a Player Efficiency Rating of 48 and 9.8 win shares! Reese is the only player close in either category.

I still think it's Clark's unless she absolutely melts down, but the stats heads really opened up my eyes.

I was glad to see Holmes mentioned in the article. I'd put her third behind Clark and Siegrist.

Reaction Score
I think I agree with this completely.

It's not a question of previous years, but of what someone has done this year. That why it's called Player of the Year. Boston is unquestionable a great player, maybe the greatest in WCBB. But Clark is having a better year this time around.

Also, it's not just about stats alone, although these matter. But it's also gotta take into account whether you're valuable to your team's success. The point was well taken that Clark means a lot more to Iowa's success than Boston does to SC's, and the same could be said for Siegrist and Villanova. I'm not saying Boston is irrelevant to SC's success, but only that they could probably limp to another NC if she were injured. I'm not sure Iowa or Villanova win another game without Clark or Siegrist.
Completely agree... I have said it many times... Player of the YEAR really should NOT have anything to do with Last Year's selectee OR the nearly useless "Pre-Season" selectee. They need to do it on the court during the season the award is for...or SHOULD be.
I would vote Clark as the NPOY for the 22 - 23 Season. Boston got hers last year...and will likely go #1 in WNBA draft this year, but even she said, without hesitation, that Cordoso was the difference maker in their 4 point win over UCONN, their smallest margin of victory all season. Clark has been incredible this year and deserves it... IMHO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Boston is a great and dominant player, but she's not the leading scorer on her team. Cooke is. I've seen multiple S.C. games in which the best player on the floor was Cardoso. Boston is clearly a top-10 player, maybe a top-5 player, but not the top-1 this season.

Reaction Score
If Iowa bows out in the round of 32 and Siegrist is still around in the Sweet 16, does the extra publicity carry her over Clark’s publicity lead?
It may take something like that in order for Siegrist to get the consideration she deserves.

Reaction Score
If Iowa bows out in the round of 32 and Siegrist is still around in the Sweet 16, does the extra publicity carry her over Clark’s publicity lead?

I think the voting is done before the tournament. Not 100% sure though.

That's what happened to Kemba in '11 when he didn't win and Jimmer did. Vote was done before tournament started and that is why Kemba didn't win it.

Reaction Score
I think the voting is done before the tournament. Not 100% sure though.

That's what happened to Kemba in '11 when he didn't win and Jimmer did. Vote was done before tournament started and that is why Kemba didn't win it.
Ballots are due at the conclusion of the Elite 8

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are multiple player-of-the-year awards. It's possible they could be split this year. I suspect they're not all voted on at the same time, and as pointed out above, that may have an effect this year.

Reaction Score
Boston is the best women's college basketball player on the planet. If all the candidates for Player of the Year were to enter the WNBA draft, Boston would still go #1. Dawn wouldn't trade her for anyone. Dominant offensively and dominant defensively, none of the others are!

Reaction Score
Boston is the best women's college basketball player on the planet. If all the candidates for Player of the Year were to enter the WNBA draft, Boston would still go #1. Dawn wouldn't trade her for anyone. Dominant offensively and dominant defensively, none of the others are!
I don’t disagree, but as a result of what you’ve mentioned teams have built their entire scheme around stopping her, and Boston’s deference to her teammates at times has pretty much unquestionably made SC deeper and better. She’s there in the biggest moments and the others have taken strides for the smaller spotlights when she’s double- and triple-teamed.

But as far as NPOY goes, statistical production still matters and Clark, Siegrist, and Holmes are miles ahead of the pack. At this point I would actually vote Holmes.

Reaction Score
Clark is my vote for POY. Boston is great but Clark carries her team night after night and puts up unbelievable stats.

Reaction Score
Definitely Clark! I’d probably vote Seigrist second, Boston third, and Reese/Seneschal/Edwards fourth.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have Clark as the clear pick IMO. What she’s accomplished so far is pretty unprecedented. Boston is a beast in big games and stepping up her play but Clark is on another level. Siegrist is great, but I don’t see a case for her over Clark who has better overall numbers and better team success, plus monster showings vs ranked teams. Holmes is having a great year too. Those 4 have separated themselves from the pack IMO.

Reaction Score
How is Aliyah dominant offensively with her 13 points, 3 offensive rebounds and 1.6 assists per game? I understand she defers, and doesn't play that many minutes, but how is that dominant?

Reaction Score
It might be hard to vote against Siegrist if she has a couple more games like her last two (double-doubles with 50 and 39 points, no fouls and 1 turnover).

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Not even close to Clark and Seigrist. They are basketball players. Boston is a big girl that is able to push people around and rebound. If she were not playing, South Carolina would still be a winning team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It might be hard to vote against Siegrist if she has a couple more games like her last two (double-doubles with 50 and 39 points, no fouls and 1 turnover).

Yep, Maddy had 39 and 10 tonight on 15-26 shooting. She also plays heavy minutes, but doesn't seem to suffer from fatigue.

Caitlin had 24, 6, and 8 on only 12 shots in an easy win tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom