ESPN's mock draft with Sabally declaring | The Boneyard

ESPN's mock draft with Sabally declaring

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sabrina is the obvious #1.

#2 is interesting. I do think Cox is a better fit based on roster personnel than Sabally since they need a center, but Satou has all the makings to be a star in the pros. Cox is probably never going to make an All-WNBA roster but is the ultimate glue player and gives Dallas a legit post presence thatll be needed going up against teams like LA, Vegas and Connecticut. Sort of a toss up here IMO, although with Cox you're getting someone who is local, goes to Wings game and likely will want to stay in Dallas. Satou could easily skip the W for a couple summers since overseas play and $$ may take priority for her. If you take Satou, you screw over Indiana which is a bonus though. Toss up here but guessing they take Cox.

#3 will likely take whoever gets passed over for #2. That said, Indiana would benefit greatly from Sabally where i dont think Cox is needed since they have McCowan there. Twin towers inside could be an interesting combo but Satou is a perfect fit here. Cant imagine they take Carter over either player.

If Carter declares she's a good pickup at 4. Atlanta could use star power and Carter fits the bill even though she comes with her own big question marks.

Hebard is another good fit at 5. Provides a very different presence from Cox and could become Crystal Langhorne 2.0.

After that, it is pretty slim pickings. I dont see Harris or Dangerfield becoming starting PGs in the pros. Not sold on Cooper/Mompremier/Gillespie/Alarie/Pivec being able to last more than a couple of seasons either.

Dallas had 3 of the top 10 picks in 2017 and has 4 of the top 9 picks this year...too bad they couldn't pull that off in 2018 or 2019 when the drafts were much deeper and much stronger.

Other things to note, there are several good juniors who will be eligible too including Rennia Davis, Megan Walker and Destiny Slocum. If any of them declare it makes the draft stronger and deeper for teams with picks 6-8.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Other things to note, there are several good juniors who will be eligible too including Rennia Davis, Megan Walker and Destiny Slocum. If any of them declare it makes the draft stronger and deeper for teams with picks 6-8.

Aari McDonald

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Aari McDonald

I dont think she gets drafted that high. Electric guard but not a strong shooter and has a negative A/TO. Her skill set is probably best suited to be an off guard but she is very small at 5-6. Great college player but not an ideal WNBA prospect IMO.

Reaction Score
Other things to note, there are several good juniors who will be eligible too including Rennia Davis

That would be news to me. Is it true that she was born on 2/24/1999? If so, she’s too young.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That would be news to me. Is it true that she was born on 2/24/1999? If so, she’s too young.

Pretty sure she graduates in May. Came into Tennessee with an associate's already.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I dont think she gets drafted that high. Electric guard but not a strong shooter and has a negative A/TO. Her skill set is probably best suited to be an off guard but she is very small at 5-6. Great college player but not an ideal WNBA prospect IMO.

How would you compare her to Slocum? Destiny has been consistently inconsistent for nearly 2 years at OSU. Similar size to McDonald. Better 3 point shooter, but not as good on the drive.

Reaction Score
How would you compare her to Slocum? Destiny has been consistently inconsistent for nearly 2 years at OSU. Similar size to McDonald. Better 3 point shooter, but not as good on the drive.
Slocum is probably a better overall point guard. Doesn’t turn it over as much as McDonald and has far more assists.

Reaction Score
Slocum is probably a better overall point guard. Doesn’t turn it over as much as McDonald and has far more assists.

I like Slocum’s handle.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I think Slocum is a better WNBA prospect. More of a true PG and a far better shooter. McDonald's height and skill set suit her well collegiately but doesnt for the pros.

Slocum is an interesting one though. I think she's comparable to Ty Harris/Dangerfield as a pro prospect in that each has her strengths and shortcomings. I'd probably pick Harris, then Slocum then Dangerfield but theyre all close and I'm no expert.

Reaction Score
Anyone have thoughts on Minyon Moore's draft prospects. I agree Airi and Destiny would be better if they declare. I do see her worth a draft pick, but I don't know if second round or third.

Reaction Score
Anyone have thoughts on Minyon Moore's draft prospects. I agree Airi and Destiny would be better if they declare. I do see her worth a draft pick, but I don't know if second round or third.
Moore is a capable free throw shooter, but hasn't shown an ability to consistently pull up and shoot a midrange jumper or shoot consistently from three-point distance. I don't think that she can play in the WNBA based upon her size and limited offensive skill set, but others have been doubting her as well since high school and she has proven them wrong.

Draftsite.com now has Moore projected as the 19th pick overall, up from #21 and #35 in mock draft versions conducted in 2019. An AP mock draft from January has her at #22. She appears to be trending up. Her performance against UConn likely helped her stock a bit.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I dont see her making it. Guessing she gets picked in 2nd or 3rd round and gets invited to training camp but just isnt strong enough offensively to nab a spot.

Reaction Score
I dont see her making it. Guessing she gets picked in 2nd or 3rd round and gets invited to training camp but just isnt strong enough offensively to nab a spot.
I sort of agree, but I was trying to see if this Duck group might get 4 players drafted which isn't up to ND's 5 last year (all in the top 20) and the Tennessee 5 when they had Candace Parker Drafted #1. Don't know how many teams had 4 players drafted, but I am sure there is a few.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I sort of agree, but I was trying to see if this Duck group might get 4 players drafted which isn't up to ND's 5 last year (all in the top 20) and the Tennessee 5 when they had Candace Parker Drafted #1. Don't know how many teams had 4 players drafted, but I am sure there is a few.

I'm guessing they will. I could see Oregon players being picked 1, 2, and 4 if Carter doesn't declare.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing they will. I could see Oregon players being picked 1, 2, and 4 if Carter doesn't declare.
I believe that Carter is ready to start earning some money for playing basketball. Would be very surprised if she doesn't declare by April 7.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is the obvious #1.

#2 is interesting. I do think Cox is a better fit based on roster personnel than Sabally since they need a center, but Satou has all the makings to be a star in the pros. Cox is probably never going to make an All-WNBA roster but is the ultimate glue player and gives Dallas a legit post presence thatll be needed going up against teams like LA, Vegas and Connecticut. Sort of a toss up here IMO, although with Cox you're getting someone who is local, goes to Wings game and likely will want to stay in Dallas. Satou could easily skip the W for a couple summers since overseas play and $$ may take priority for her. If you take Satou, you screw over Indiana which is a bonus though. Toss up here but guessing they take Cox.

#3 will likely take whoever gets passed over for #2. That said, Indiana would benefit greatly from Sabally where i dont think Cox is needed since they have McCowan there. Twin towers inside could be an interesting combo but Satou is a perfect fit here. Cant imagine they take Carter over either player.

If Carter declares she's a good pickup at 4. Atlanta could use star power and Carter fits the bill even though she comes with her own big question marks.

Hebard is another good fit at 5. Provides a very different presence from Cox and could become Crystal Langhorne 2.0.

After that, it is pretty slim pickings. I dont see Harris or Dangerfield becoming starting PGs in the pros. Not sold on Cooper/Mompremier/Gillespie/Alarie/Pivec being able to last more than a couple of seasons either.

Dallas had 3 of the top 10 picks in 2017 and has 4 of the top 9 picks this year...too bad they couldn't pull that off in 2018 or 2019 when the drafts were much deeper and much stronger.

Dangerfield has exceptional year against best teams at all big games in Ct and South Carolina.
She will be great player for any team as she has a nice shot.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Moore, 5-8, has decent skills. I doubt if she's drafted but some team will invite her to training camp. The only way she makes a roster is through attrition.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Isn't Dangerfield in the same boat as McDonald--not really a true PG? She's at her best bombing away from 3, not play making and creating for others.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Dangerfield has exceptional year against best teams at all big games in Ct and South Carolina.
She will be great player for any team as she has a nice shot.

She's a great shooter, both catch and shoot and off the dribble. Great range too. The downside is she isn't a strong creator for others or distributor, which are important skills to have as a PG in the WNBA. She's also undersized at 5-5 which means she'll be the shortest player in the league this season. I think she could do well as a backup PG but I don't she's a top prospect based on her size and skill set.

Reaction Score
I believe that Carter is ready to start earning some money for playing basketball. Would be very surprised if she doesn't declare by April 7.

I thought she was more of a sure thing to declare than Sabally.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Isn't Dangerfield in the same boat as McDonald--not really a true PG? She's at her best bombing away from 3, not play making and creating for others.

Dangerfield is a better decision maker and a much better shooter. Decision making and assist/TO ratio are absolutely crucial if you're a PG in the WNBA. McDonald is more of a slasher/attack the basket type of player, and that's hard to do well at 5-6 going up against much taller and stronger defenders in the pros. Dangerfield's skill set translates better to the WNBA IMO.

Reaction Score
Moore, 5-8, has decent skills. I doubt if she's drafted but some team will invite her to training camp. The only way she makes a roster is through attrition.
Most WNBA mock draft sites have Moore projected to be drafted in either the second or third round. A strong performance in the NCAA tourney by Moore would cement those projections.

Reaction Score
Hoopfeed.com tweeted an article about Aari McDonald. Says she undecided on whether she will return for her senior season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom