ESPN's Michelle Smith Says....... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Michelle Smith Says.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The leader of this team will be Breanna Stewart. She is the best player and this is now her team. She is the one who has spoken of winning 4 national championships and has the most at stake. All of the players want to win, but only one is being talked about in terms of her place in the sport. That's Breanna. Her words in the post game press conference were heartfelt, honest and completely on point. She understands what must happen and it's now on her to get her teammates to make that happen. She can not do it alone.

Now that I've decided who will fill Dolson's role as leader of the team, I'd like to figure out who will fill Dolson's role as serial, bone-crushing screener. Unfortunately, that will be a much more difficult job. Based on the poor job done by Tuck and Stokes the other night, I fear the next great screener is ineligible to play this year. That's a problem.

I agree, and I believe that she will be a different leader than Stef, that's for sure. My guess is that she will be all business on court, no matter how zany she can appear off court. As for those who said Moriah, all it takes is one listen to that press conference to see that perhaps she isn't quite ready for this role as the head cheerleader, especially her last answer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't question that Morgan was more mature than Breanna back in their U-19 days. Circumstances are different now. Being the star of the U-19 team is not the same as being the biggest star in WCBB, the POY, the 2-time FF MVP and the one collegiate player who spent part of her fall with some of the best players and best leaders in all of women's basketball. It's time for Breanna to emerge as the leader of this team. I think she understands that.
Just not sure that's her MO.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Leadership will one of Stewart's points of development this year. No one grooms success better than Geno.

Reaction Score
The leader of this team will be Breanna Stewart. She is the best player and this is now her team. She is the one who has spoken of winning 4 national championships and has the most at stake. All of the players want to win, but only one is being talked about in terms of her place in the sport. That's Breanna. Her words in the post game press conference were heartfelt, honest and completely on point. She understands what must happen and it's now on her to get her teammates to make that happen. She can not do it alone.

Now that I've decided who will fill Dolson's role as leader of the team, I'd like to figure out who will fill Dolson's role as serial, bone-crushing screener. Unfortunately, that will be a much more difficult job. Based on the poor job done by Tuck and Stokes the other night, I fear the next great screener is ineligible to play this year. That's a problem.

Not sure Stewart has it in her.. just because she is the best player does not make her a leader.. When TN had CP3 Anosike and Hornbuckle were the leaders

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure Stewart has it in her.. just because she is the best player does not make her a leader.. When TN had CP3 Anosike and Hornbuckle were the leaders

Again, I didn't say being the best player makes her a leader. I said being the best player in the game is one of several reasons why she should want to be the leader of this team. I believe those reasons will motivate her to step in to the leadership void even if doing so may not fit her personality (though I've seen nothing to suggest it won't). My belief may be proven wrong, but I'm not willing to write her off as a leader yet.

Reaction Score
I don't know who it will be but it has to be mojeff being the point guard and all the guards around her to follow. She said in the off season she wants to be able to teach and show them the ropes. Well Mojeff here's your chance. Even in a bad game she has to set examples how to overcome games like Monday.

Reaction Score

I agree Breanna Stewart is the obvious leader of the team.

I also agree that finding someone to Take Stef's place as screener, scorer, rotater on defense and outstanding post player is UConn's biggest problem. Despite the talk of Kiah's improvement this year, she was unable to play a strong enough offensively or drfemsively against Stanford.. My guess is that Morgan and Gabby Williams will see a lot more post minutes. We may even see KML at the 4 with Breanna at the 5 playing with MoJeff, Kia and Saniya. Or we may see Breanna, KML and Morgan all playing upfront.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just my gut, and with no real knowledge of her ability to do so, but my feeling is Kia Nurse.
You may end up being right- she has got a no nonsense, tough minded unflappable quality about her. Tuck I think will start soon- and it may be her. I think Moriah has it in her too.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Don't know if I agree with that. On the USA U19 team, Tuck was the captain, although Stewart was the star. Stewart might be "the face" of UCONN, but I think eventually Tuck will be the captain/leader.

However, at the Post Univ. preseason game, KML was the one who went out for the pregame brief from the refs. So I assume she is the captain this year.
I think Tuck emerges as her confidence builds, shedding the rust. They will figure it out between KML, Stewie, Tuck, Messiah & I think Nurse will help lead- even if it is a triumvirate? Or a foursome. We miss our 2 Recently graduated All Americans more than most of our B Yarders realized!

Reaction Score
You can't be a leader on the floor without being a starter, so Stewie's got to step up first. Maybe Nurse as well down the line if she takes over for Saniya. I can't picture Morgan, Moriah, Kiah or Saniya stepping up into such a role but then I was wrong once. Or maybe I wasn't wrong once. Can't remember.
If Geno is forced to be the sole leader, from the bench, that could hurt the UConn mission considerably. I think Stewie would realize that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sometimes the problem isn't finding a leader. Sometimes there are too many leaders and too many voices competing. Sometimes there are too many voices and the challenge is to find THE leader. The one voice among many who has the respect and trust of all of the group. Hopefully, we will see that person emerge.

Reaction Score
There's been a lot of back and forth, all interesting, about our play and what led to the loss Monday night against Stanford. ESPN's Michelle Smith I think hit on the most important point that will be difficult to over come by coaching alone. This is one of five things she hit on:

4. Connecticut needs a leader to step up
When Stanford was mounting a comeback from 10 points down with 6:32 to play, the Huskies were failing to build on leads -- and making mistakes to boot. There didn't seem to be a player on the floor to pull the team together and regroup. Stewart has been able to be the goofy youngster for two years, and that time is now over. Moriah Jefferson is naturally quiet and finding her way on the floor, and Mosqueda-Lewis has never really had to play this role. Who steps up?

I have trouble right now seeing who that will be? My only hope is that it will be someone, in some way to become our court leader.

Didn't Nurse foul out around that time? Her defense was sorely missed. If she doesn't foul out, UCONN would have won that game, IMHO.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Sometimes the problem isn't finding a leader. Sometimes there are too many leaders and too many voices competing. Sometimes there are too many voices and the challenge is to find THE leader. The one voice among many who has the respect and trust of all of the group. Hopefully, we will see that person emerge.

Glad you brought that up. I think it's been overlooked in the discussion. And you can't provide them, particularly trust, if you tend to choke at crunch time. Unfortunately, we've seen too many players under-perform when things get tight.

"Clutch" players are hard to come by. Bria, Kelly were able to boost their performance when it was most needed. D was extraordinary in that regard. Others were able at least to sustain their performances, which also allows others to respect and trust them. But when you have a tendency to go all to pieces when the opposite is needed, that kind of disqualifies you as a leader.

I'm curious -- who do folks consider were leaders of past teams? Which teams lacked a leader?

Reaction Score
Didn't Nurse foul out around that time? Her defense was sorely missed. If she doesn't foul out, UCONN would have won that game, IMHO.

The two players who have shown to be fearless are Tuck and Nurse. Fearless when the pressure is on. The team leader is the one who everyone looks to see if she has any fear in her eyes. The one who (even quietly) reassures everyone that we will succeed. Think DT as an example. It wasn't just her scoring ability, it was her demeanor that we will succeed, it was just follow me!!!

Reaction Score
Quit stressing. UConn lost by two on the road in a game in which they played well and led throughout all but a few seconds of regulation. Despite the constant triple teams in the post, Breanna Stewart scored 23 points. Yes, there was a lack of poise shown in crucial situations. But, can it really be said that it was uncharacteristic given how few times UConn is challenged late in the time clock? If Amber Orrange does what she is more statistically inclined to do, miss the three, we would all be breathing a sigh of relief.

IMO, UConn did not lose because they lacked leadership. They have a team full of leaders and Coach Auriemma prowling the sideline. UConn is still the best team in the country. If there are other teams capable of challenging UConn, then it is good for WCBB. UConn is fortunate to have scheduled such quality OOC opponents because the AAC is crap for lack of a better word. So, now they get to play Notre Dame and South Carolina to reclaim their stature in bits and pieces. If Stanford does not falter, then it will have to wait until April before full reclamation.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for Mojeff to take over down the stretch. Not necessarily from a scoring prospective, but more from the aspect of running her team's offense. It felt like a schoolyard game at the end.

Nurse reminds me of Sue Bird when she was a young Husky. While surrounded with incredible talent, there was little doubt that Sue was running the show.

If Mo doesn't step up, I'd look to Nurse. I believe she is a natural, hard-nosed leader.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for Mojeff to take over down the stretch. Not necessarily from a scoring prospective, but more from the aspect of running her team's offense. It felt like a schoolyard game at the end.

Nurse reminds me of Sue Bird when she was a young Husky. While surrounded with incredible talent, there was little doubt that Sue was running the show.

If Mo doesn't step up, I'd look to Nurse. I believe she is a natural, hard-nosed leader.

I see Nurse as the future point guard too. Not beating out Mo, but sliding over to PG when Mo needs a breather, replacing her after she graduates, then mentoring Dangerfield for a year or 2.

Reaction Score
And while our perspective of who is a leader is all about this one game, it cannot tell the whole story. UConn lost to ND in close and OT games with Bria and Stef. And Bria is pointed out as a clutch player (which she was many times) but she had a poor game in the NC (not just shooting but bad passes etc)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Perhaps if Kiah had the opportunity to play more during 3 years, we would not be having this discussion.

CORRECTION: Perhaps if Kiah had availed herself of the opportunity to play more during 3 years, we would not be having this discussion.

No one wanted Kiah to play more minutes over the past three years that Geno did. He said on numerous occasions that UConn is a different team when she plays effectively. He knew Stef was playing too many minutes because of the lack of an effective backup. And he knew Kiah had the talent to be as good or better than Stef. Kiah just didn't consistently seize the opportunity that she clearly had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom