ESPN's latest money grab attempt | The Boneyard

ESPN's latest money grab attempt

Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how this espn+ pay subscription works out.

I give them credit for trying to adjust to the reality of losing cable subscribers. I wonder if the younger generations are just not into sports as much as the older ones.

Reaction Score
The younger generations are technically mobile....use devices other than a TV to access entertainment...and watch in places other than their living room.

Even folks in their 40's...look around you in a deli, bar, airport...and see how many people are fiddling with their smart phones.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get the ESPN suite by steaming Sling TV.

Probably $7-$8 per month total. Basic Sling is $20/mo and I think it has ESPN/2. Sports package is an additional $5/mo and has all the ESPN plus a bunch of other sports channels I never watch.

If ESPN launches its own streaming service, I'll kill the sports package and purchase ESPN.

Reaction Score
Apologies. I meant to link a good vanity fair article, now I can't find it.

Reaction Score
Now DirectTV offers a full network package you can stream on a computer or through a Roku, AppleTV, etc. There is no reason to have cable anymore. Actually, DirectTV sent me a free AppleTV...Fios didn’t do anything for me.

Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how this espn+ pay subscription works out.

I give them credit for trying to adjust to the reality of losing cable subscribers. I wonder if the younger generations are just not into sports as much as the older ones.

Sigh.

Might have a reason to watch more ESPN with Formula 1 going back to ABC/ESPN this season. Pretty sure F1 on NBC had the best ratings for F1 ever in the US.

ESPN is simulcasting Sky Sports F1 Bruce broadcasts. Which is a downgrade from what NBC did with a studio production in CT.

ESPN will simulcast Sky Sports’ F1 coverage

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Now DirectTV offers a full network package you can stream on a computer or through a Roku, AppleTV, etc. There is no reason to have cable anymore. Actually, DirectTV sent me a free AppleTV...Fios didn’t do anything for me.
Once the internet streaming gets quicker to changevchannels and less clunky it will devour cable.
But then the price will go up to $100 p/mo. Already is expensive

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Anyone using ESPN+? Just curious how it is and of it's worth the money. I still have cable so I'm not a streamer. So for someone like me I don't see the need for it. However, I'm just curious what the benefit of having it would be right now.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The younger generations are technically mobile....use devices other than a TV to access entertainment...and watch in places other than their living room.

Even folks in their 40's...look around you in a deli, bar, airport...and see how many people are fiddling with their smart phones.
I only use my TV for football, major bball games, and things I DVR. And I'm a 40 something.

Reaction Score
Anyone using ESPN+? Just curious how it is and of it's worth the money. I still have cable so I'm not a streamer. So for someone like me I don't see the need for it. However, I'm just curious what the benefit of having it would be right now.
There's no point to it unless you got rid of cable.

Pretty sure it's basically just buying access to WatchESPN without a cable subscription login

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's no point to it unless you got rid of cable.

Pretty sure it's basically just buying access to WatchESPN without a cable subscription login

It’s not even that. It’s some mid major colleges, niche international sports and access to 30 for 30.

You get a random MLB game here or there - well the at-bat app gives you a free game every day for nothing.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s not even that. It’s some mid major colleges, niche international sports and access to 30 for 30.

You get a random MLB game here or there - well the at-bat app gives you a free game every day for nothing.

It's pure garbage.

It's the scrapple you didn't want to watch when they called it ESPN3 and gave it to you for nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom