ESPN's latest mock Draft | The Boneyard

ESPN's latest mock Draft

Reaction Score
Looking at the latest projections and wondering how wrong they have it. The standard 1st round list is now
1. Boston, 2. Miller, 3. Siegrist [!], 4. Soares, 5. Horston, 6. Jones, 7. Beal, 8. Amihere, 9. Berger, 10. Joens, 11. Lopez-Senechal, 12. Juhasz.

I don't know the teams in the draft order as well as I should to really judge this. But just on talent and grit, I wonder if Soares, Jones, Beal, Horston are ranked too highly, and Amihere, Berger, Joens, Lou and Dorka a little too low. For example, has Soares really showed as much as Dorka has? And Amihere, while not getting a lot of minutes, has a stunning mix of skills and speed, and seems to have gotten a bit stronger this year.. And maybe I'm just a homer, but Lou looks like a better candidate for a 6/7 spot than Jones or Beal.

If I were to rank them -- ignorant as I am of team needs -- I'd probably do something like this:
1. Miller, 2. Boston [this seems like a toss up to me], 3. Amihere, 4. Dorka, 5. Siegrist, 6. Berger, 7. Lou, 8. Horston, 9. Joens, 10. Jones, 11. Soares, 12. Beal.

Feel free to poke fun at my ignorance.

Reaction Score
Looking at the latest projections and wondering how wrong they have it. The standard 1st round list is now
1. Boston, 2. Miller, 3. Siegrist [!], 4. Soares, 5. Horston, 6. Jones, 7. Beal, 8. Amihere, 9. Berger, 10. Joens, 11. Lopez-Senechal, 12. Juhasz.

I don't know the teams in the draft order as well as I should to really judge this. But just on talent and grit, I wonder if Soares, Jones, Beal, Horston are ranked too highly, and Amihere, Berger, Joens, Lou and Dorka a little too low. For example, has Soares really showed as much as Dorka has? And Amihere, while not getting a lot of minutes, has a stunning mix of skills and speed, and seems to have gotten a bit stronger this year.. And maybe I'm just a homer, but Lou looks like a better candidate for a 6/7 spot than Jones or Beal.

If I were to rank them -- ignorant as I am of team needs -- I'd probably do something like this:
1. Miller, 2. Boston [this seems like a toss up to me], 3. Amihere, 4. Dorka, 5. Siegrist, 6. Berger, 7. Lou, 8. Horston, 9. Joens, 10. Jones, 11. Soares, 12. Beal.

Thing about Soares.. she won’t play this year. But she has the talent. And I think her defense is better than dorkas

Reaction Score
Thing about Soares.. she won’t play this year. But she has the talent. And I think her defense is better than dorkas
Could be. What always impresses me about Dorka is what she's prepared to do to get the ball. not many bigs will dive on the floor. Am I mistaken in thinking that's a valuable commodity in the W?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think Boston is safely #1, Miller #2. After that it's sort of a toss up among several players. Siegrist is a solid player but I'd be partial to Horston/Jones ahead of her, both of whom are better physical specimen. I don't see Haley Jones dropped as far as some of the mocks project her to go. No she doesn't have a 3pt shot but that can be developed over time and she's terrific off the dribble/midrange and is a good passer. I think she'll find her way in the pros.

After those 5, I think it's largely a crapshoot as each prospect has their pros and cons. Amihere/Beal both have pro frames and athleticism but are raw offensively. Beal's 3pt percentage went up this year but she takes mostly set shots and her arch/mechanics aren't the best. Amihere is probably the best athlete in the entire class but isn't elite at any one skill IMO. Both are gambles but have solid upside.

Soares going high is puzzling to me. She has size and athleticism but fancies herself as a 3pt shooter and is out for the entire year. If all of the 2020 class declares next year, I'm not sure she's a first round pick.

I think Dorka is pro ready to be a solid backup in the league but I don't think she has a lot of upside, LLS is a great shooter but limited defensively. Joens I don't see it. Berger I actually think could be a really solid pro for the right team, she's similar to Haley Jones in a lot of ways.

A lot of projected second rounders I could see being solid pros. Mikesell has a lightning quick release and is a great shooter, Cooke has WNBA defense/athleticism but isn't a strong shooter/finisher, and Alexis Morris is small but an elite playmaker.

My draft board would be along the lines of:
1. Boston
2. Miller
3. Jones
4. Horston
5. Siegrist
6. Berger
7. Amihere
8. Juhasz
9. Cooke
10. Beal
11. Lopez-Senechal
12. Morris

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Soares is going as high as anticipated either. She's going to be gone for the season but a 6'6 player is still pretty rare for the league. Considering she's going to be out I wouldn't be surprised if she falls late first or early second, since next year there should plenty of similarly height players in the draft. Cardoso, Ayoka, Tamari and Taiyanna all come to mind, so teams may take their chances and not blow an early pick on an unknown.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If the list is based in small/large part on inside information from franchises and their anticipated picks, how is it they have it "wrong"?

Also, mock drafts are projections not guaranteed predictions.

Reaction Score
I can't wait until tomorrow night. I am hoping that these projects hold because Minnesota Lynx would draft Dorka. I think she would be a huge plus for the Lynx and be a huge asset to the Minnesota community. She is welcome in my classroom anytime.

Reaction Score
Boston is overrated. Siegrist is underrated. I will rank the top 5,
1.Siegrist, 2. Miller, 3. Boston, 4. Jones, 5.Horston,

Reaction Score
i don't understand the high pacing of Soares (should be 2nd round), Beal (should be 2nd round) and Amihere (should be low first or second round).

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As much as I love Lou I don't think she will be picked in 1st round (Hope I'm wrong on this)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't see it--she was a great college player but feasted going up against smaller less athletic players in her non-conference and in the Big East. Against UCONN and programs with bigger, more physical defenders she didn't play great:
Iowa State-9/22 FG
@ UCONN-9/23 FG
vs UCONN-8/22 FG
vs UCONN (BET)-9/21 FG
vs Miami-8/29 FG
vs Baylor-8/24 FG

Not terrible numbers by any means, but much lower efficiency than her overall stats. She'll need to find ways to be more efficient scoring against the bigger, more physical players in the pros than she was able to do so in college.

Reaction Score
That seems extremely unlikely she'll be a 20+ scorer in the W. She'll a little undersized to play the 4 in the league and it's probably the hardest position in the league having to face the likes of MVP players such as Wilson, Stewart and EDD on the nightly. So she'll have to transition to wing and make more of an effort on the defensive end if she plans to have a long career at that level.

Reaction Score
When it comes to drafting WNBA players I always defer to the former pro coach I spoke with. He was asked why he was even considering drafting another "big" (6'4" or taller) when he already had 3 on the roster. He replied "I can coach a player in every aspect of the game - offense,defense,ball handling,shooting - you name it. But I can't coach height". Whether it's Wilson, Stewie, Delle Donne, Parker, etc., all other factors being equal - draft the taller player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt Siegrist will score 20/gm in the W, partly because she no longer has to. There are a number of players in college that are their team. Morrow at DePaul, Siegrist at Villanova, Clark at Iowa, etc. Clark for example has gone 16 for 45 and 6-23 from the arc against Uconn in two games because Uconn focuses on making life difficult for the top dogs they play and they are usually pretty effective at it.

Siegrist still scored 68 points against Uconn in the 3 games they played this year, but she didn't score 90 against the 'great' Uconn defense. And Uconn won by an aggregate of 25 points.

I think Siegrist will play her nature wing position in the W because her team will have a post and a '4'. And she will be able to expend energy at both ends of the floor because she will not be required to 1) provide 41% of the scoring, 2) play 35.5 mins/gm, and 3) manage her fouls (because Siegrist on the bench meant a Villanova loss.) And I think she should do pretty well because while the individual players will be better, she will not face the focus of the other team, nor the double teams.

On the actual topic of this thread ... I have no idea how this draft will play out. Nor how good these players will be. I think players like Berger and Lopez-Senechal might be surprisingly effective as primary bench players, providing quick offense when they get in. And I just don't know how effective Horston and Jones will be. Not sure I see an actual game changer for a team in any of the draftees, but maybe solid if contributors.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
First round is overrated, the right fit is the most important factor. There's some teams that I could use a shooter and hopefully she's lands at one of them.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
It would be nice to see Siegrist average 20 plus a game, but I just don't see it happening in the WNBA. If there were more teams and Siegrist was able to be that focal point of the team, then I could see it happening. But with limited teams and a pecking order within those teams, I don't see it happening. Will she have a better career than Boston? Who knows. I would hope that they both have pretty solid careers in the WNBA. The goal is to play professionally, and I would want them both to have successful careers in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
First round is overrated, the right fit is the most important factor. There's some teams that I could use a shooter and hopefully she's lands at one of them.
If drafted by Dallas would be better not to be drafted at all.

Reaction Score
If drafted by Dallas would be better not to be drafted at all.
I mean in terms of last season, I would much rather be an undrafted that makes the final roster Sam Thomas over a first round cut before the season starts Mya Hollingshead.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Only 2 players averaged over 20 ppg in the WNBA last season, just as an example. A bunch of very talented players were below the mark.
Generally speaking, if a player is averaging over 20 ppg in the W, either you're on a weak team and carrying the offensive load, or your coach is not managing your time well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom