Espn's 2014-15 Preview: UConn Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Espn's 2014-15 Preview: UConn Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this team will be top 15 all season and be very very good by march. If the backcourt of Boat/Purv are as good as many think i would bet on us being back in the final 4. Guard play is everything in March as we showed last season against teams that had more size and talent were neutralized by our guards and led to a title.

Can we agree to NOT let the nickname "Purv" catch on?

Reaction Score
Characterizing Rodney's freshman season at N.C. State as "disastrous" is a bit hyperbolic.

For a guy with that kind of talent, it was a huge disappointment. I think the fact that most of us are more-or-less dismissing that season when we project what he'll do going forward is a pretty good indicator.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Calling Purvis' freshman season "disastrous" is very hyperbolic. Sure, Purvis turned the ball over a lot, but as pretty much every coach in history has said, the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores. Purvis' other numbers were great for a non "1 and done" freshman.

Did that writer say Hamilton may have to check some 4's? Crazy talk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For a guy with that kind of talent, it was a huge disappointment. I think the fact that most of us are more-or-less dismissing that season when we project what he'll do going forward is a pretty good indicator.

I think most people are counting on the fact that Mark Gottfried is a terrible coach (rightly so), and can't develop talent for snow. And that Kevin Ollie is the exact opposite.

Fortunately Gottried's been nowhere near Purv for 1.5 years now.

Reaction Score
I think most people are counting on the fact that Mark Gottfried is a terrible coach (rightly so), and can't develop talent for e. And that Kevin Ollie is the exact opposite.

Fortunately Gottried's been nowhere near Purv for 1.5 years now.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think it was disastrous because Purvis wasn't as good as advertised. I think it was a disastrous situation, and that's why he transferred.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where is this word "disastrous" coming from? Do you guys know what the word means? I don't think it applies to a kid that averaged over 8 ppg and was the 6th leading scorer on what was a veteran team that also had a future first round draft pick in TJ Warren as the only better underclassmen. He averaged those 8 ppg in only 25 mgp. He shot 44% from the field and 38.5% from 3, both of which are very respectable for a frosh. My gut is that he wouldn't have gotten those kind of scoring numbers for UConn buried behind Boat, Bazz and Omar in 2013.

Reaction Score
Where is this word "disastrous" coming from? Do you guys know what the word means? I don't think it applies to a kid that averaged over 8 ppg and was the 6th leading scorer on what was a veteran team that also had a future first round draft pick in TJ Warren as the only better underclassmen. He averaged those 8 ppg in only 25 mgp. He shot 44% from the field and 38.5% from 3, both of which are very respectable for a frosh. My gut is that he wouldn't have gotten those kind of scoring numbers for UConn buried behind Boat, Bazz and Omar in 2013.

the ESPN writer used disastrous in his write up....

Start with sophomore combo guard Rodney Purvis, a former McDonald's All-American who transferred following a disastrous freshman season at NC State. Purvis sat out and could only watch last season's run from the sideline, no doubt adding to his hunger to prove that his lofty high school ranking was accurate. Fast and physical at 6-foot-4, Purvis loves to attack the basket and also hit 38.5 percent of his 3s at NC State. But he turned it over too often (18.2 percent), especially for someone with point guard skills, and often lacked focus. Miller expects him to fit in much better with the Huskies. "He's a talented kid and an explosive scorer," Miller says. "He's been able to learn our system, playing it every day in practice. Now there's a comfort level there."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

People expected him to be one and done. So, maybe 15+ ppg?

Reaction Score

Apparently Purvis agrees, because he immediately left NC State. I think you're getting too worked up about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom