ESPN | The Boneyard

ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top ten teams of the week- no UCONN.
Top ten most impressive players of the week- no AD.

I swear they really must have beef with UCONN. I still have not forgiven them for helping break up the BE. Do they really think that their life in the middle of the country in CT will be better if they continually crap on and marginalize UCONN? I know out OOC schedule is not very exciting.

Flying under the radar as NCs is hard to do but at least they are helping us out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
11026-tinfoil-hat.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn shouldn't lose till February. Once their record is 19-1 and UConn wins at GU people will take notice. Should they lose before then, they don't deserve to be in the top ten anyways.

Reaction Score
You have to start to wonder with some of this stuff. Our team is loaded, we lost Kemba and added Deandre Daniels, Andre Drummond and Ryan Boatright to plug the leak. If Duke were in the same situation they would say that Duke is even better this year.

We should be a favorite and we should be in their top 10. Sometimes you just have to wonder if there is a conspiracy against us. I don't usually think there is a anti-UConn slant , but this has me a little perplexed not only because we have tremendous talent and depth, but because we have really big name players that they could market. When you don't pimp a team with JLamb, AD, DD, Boat, Shabazz, Roscoe and AO plus all the other moving parts we have, you must not want to. Its an easy sell as must see tv.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't care if they don't give us love all year. If their goal is to do as much as possible to make a National Champion with 4 returning starters, 3 hyped up Freshmen and a Hall of Fame coach fly under the radar, then they are doing a good job. Obviously opposing coaches won't be taking us lightly but I am sure that if we start 19-1, many people across the country will be shocked. I'm not counting on it but I wouldn't be shocked either. This team has enough talent that in order to be shocked at their success, they would have to finish with 3 or less regular season losses for me to be shocked. Again, I'm not counting on a 4 loss season, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
Did someone really say that ESPN has beef with the University of Connecticut?

C'moooon. They haven't played anyone. Their biggest game of the season so far was against an Ivy. Beating up on a terrible Holy Cross team is not going to make them anyone's team of the week.

Reaction Score
There is a little something to this though.......

Go back to midnight madness special- there was hardly no coverage of UCONN although they were there. All the emphasis was on ACC and Pitt/Cuse.

It is becoming clear there is a bit of an agenda here, but like others point out- thank you.

Flying under radar is a great spot to be

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They have played four good games in a row. JC has them working on different things before each game and he has come away after each of these games satisfied. His satisfaction isn't where the team needs to be or will be as the season goes on. He's satisfied the kids are listening and developing.

I'm much more concerned about JC's estimation of this team than what ESPN, fans, or the rest of the country think.

I believe coming into this season he was really nervous how this team would respond with the loss of Kemba and it still being a young team. I think the team is really growing on him. I'm guessing of course but there is a lot of things I've observed from his interviews after these recent games that makes me feel comfortable about this.

Reaction Score
If we lose 3 games (Louisville once and Syracuse twice) before the end of the regular season then Calhoun will have 878 wins, putting him past Rupp and one behind Dean Smith. Assuming Syracuse wins the games they're supposed to win, that will place JC in 5th place behind Krapshovelski, Knight, Dean Smith and Boeheim. (Boeheim will have moved into 3rd place.) JC would move past Dean Smith into 4th place with any 2 wins in the post season. JC would then move past Bobby Knight and into the top 2 or 3 next season as early as Dec 2012.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn might have the worst loss of teams in the top ten. It's not a shock they are discounted some

Reaction Score
As far as this year goes, I do think ESPN's coverage has been a little lite... But the reality is they are looking for sexy things to report, and us beating up on no-name schools doesn't really cut it. Why they don't have a weekly Drummond dunk compilation is beyond me though... If AD Tebowed every time he dunked we'd be the lead in Sportscenter, or at least second, right after another Tebow is so religious story

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
A road win at Seton Hall on 1/3 will help considerably.

Reaction Score
Why do some of you whiners have to trash every poster that poses a legitimate concern/question/whatever? Conspiracy theory? I don't see a conspiracy theory. I see a person that takes issue with the coverage that his team gets from the top sports media outlet which is CONTROLLED by SYRACUSE alumni. Is it really so crazy to think that a SYRACUSE alum would allow his hatred of UConn affect how he controls the way his organization covers UConn? Anyone with a clue knows that Syracuse fans are a close second to umess fans in their hatred of Calhoun and UConn. Some of you clowns also scoffed at the notion that Wetzel (umess grad) went after Calhoun and UConn because he is a umess grad and good friend of the squid's. Did the squid have any input on this guy's crusade? Who knows but is it crazy to think he might? I'm as sure he did as I am that Boeheim has nothing to do with the way ESPN treats UConn. Why? Because the squid hates Calhoun as much as the umess fans that worship him but Boeheim and Calhoun are friends that respect each other. Conspiracy theories aren't required. Common sense, awareness and a lack of a skirt are what is needed to connect the dots in any of these situations.

ESPN might as well be known as the Red Sox-Syracuse-ACC Sports Network.

Reaction Score
UConn isn't getting coverage because as its been pointed out, they have the worst loss of any of the teams considered title contenders and they haven't played any appealing matchups like the others have(either another top team or traditional blue blood). UK, OSU, UNC, Syr, Duke have all played at least another top team and in most cases, 2. UConn hasn't played any, thats why nobody is talking about them right now.

Reaction Score
We haven't played anyone to make outsiders believers. We are probably perceived as bullies beating up on inferiors. Can't do much about that.

caw

Reaction Score
FSU should have been a big coverage/win game but both UConn and FSU shat the bed and lost before the championship game. Harvard got coverage but more about Harvard because they were doing a first for them. Who else has UConn played that has been worthy of large coverage? Duke played OSU. UK both UNC and Indiana (big name regardless of indianas then ranking). Cuse hasn't played anyone but they also haven't lost. Ditto for UL. Xavier got in a brawl. Who else in the top ten am I missing. Baylor hasn't gotten a ton of coverage that I am aware of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why do some of you whiners have to trash every poster that poses a legitimate concern/question/whatever?

Because beating Holy Cross just isn't that big of a deal unless you are BCU.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ESPN has as many Northwestern & Mizzou alums as Syracuse alums. Relax.

Reaction Score
FSU should have been a big coverage/win game but both UConn and FSU shat the bed and lost before the championship game. Harvard got coverage but more about Harvard because they were doing a first for them. Who else has UConn played that has been worthy of large coverage? Duke played OSU. UK both UNC and Indiana (big name regardless of indianas then ranking). Cuse hasn't played anyone but they also haven't lost. Ditto for UL. Xavier got in a brawl. Who else in the top ten am I missing. Baylor hasn't gotten a ton of coverage that I am aware of.

Cuse beat a good Florida team already. And won at NC state. I have no problem with them being #1 for now. They deserve it thus far - realizing that Uconn would have been #1 if they had beat Central FL.

caw

Reaction Score
Cuse beat a good Florida team already. And won at NC state. I have no problem with them being #1 for now. They deserve it thus far - realizing that Uconn would have been #1 if they had beat Central FL.

NC state sucks, but I forgot about Florida, very good win for Cuse there.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is that we have, beyond any doubt one of the 5 most talented teams in the country. We also have what amounts to at least 3 future lottery picks on our team and are defending champs. To get so little coverage is kind of unreal.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is that we have, beyond any doubt one of the 5 most talented teams in the country. We also have what amounts to at least 3 future lottery picks on our team and are defending champs. To get so little coverage is kind of unreal.

I don't know how we can have an early season schedule where the best matchup was against Harvard and than act shocked when we don't get a lot of media coverage. We have ESPN Gameday coming to Gampel for the Syracuse game right? If we had played a Kentucky or Carolina or Ohio State or Duke or Baylor etc early on and performed well I'm sure we'd have gotten a lot of attention.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On further review, I'm throwing the flag on the OP. I've seen several complimentary articles about UConn on ESPN and CNNSI lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom