ESPN | The Boneyard

ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While dancing up and down the board tonight I notice a common thread of hatred for this company based right here in CT.

My question is, why the hate?

I'm open to half truths, flat out lies and conspiracies...and maybe a dose of common sense, too.

Thanks for any insight.

Reaction Score
You're welcome. Been enjoying it since 1988. Not looking to troll just some insight.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's because ESPN rewarded the ACC for destroying the BE and it bankrolled the exclusion of UConn.

After countless state subsidies, and after the state, UConn and the Whalers helped launch the network in the first place.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
because ESPN personalities have time and time and time again bashed us

1) "the UConn program is coming apart at the seams, Roscoe Smith should reconsider his commitment". Has something as vile as this ever been said on the air about another program or another recruit?
2) "why is Kevin Ollie still at UConn"? really? again, they ever suggest another top coach SHOULD LEAVE?
3) constant references to APR and calling it academic issues, without ever explaining what the APR was really about. Transfers and two kids dropping out, nobody who remained with the program had academic issues. the APR is not about good academics. Only Jay Bilas tries to educate people about it

and there are many more examples just like this

I think most ESPN personalities despise UConn because they're fans of other schools (like Cuse) and they live among us, meaning they're tired of taking from us

Reaction Score
How much praise and promotion do you hear and see the "world-leader" machine manufacture for its darling teams from North Cackilacky? Then consider UConn alone has as many championships as these teams combined over the past 20 years. The headlines about us? They wonder why our coach who just finished joyously taking the college basketball world by storm hasn't left yet.

Reaction Score
^ and do 10 stories on an APR score that had nothing to do with the current crop of kids at UCONN but only found it's way to do half as many stories when UNC was caught red handed making up fake classes and cheating. The only organization in sports I like less is the NCAA.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
^ and do 10 stories on an APR score that had nothing to do with the current crop of kids at UCONN but only found it's way to do half as many stories when UNC was caught red handed making up fake classes and cheating. The only organization in sports I like less is the NCAA.

they mention the APR banning in every game we play, they scroll it at the bottom of the screen

they never talk about what UNC got away with without so much as a slip on the wrist

never mind what UK does, they love Squid. he's a charmer

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As UConn fans we have to embrace it. It will always be us against the world.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for everyone else but I hate that they haven't done a 30 for 30 about us.

Reaction Score
I once saw Andy Katz throw a burlap sack filled with puppies into the ocean. True story.

Reaction Score
You're welcome. Been enjoying it since 1988. Not looking to troll just some insight.

Come on, a fan since 1988 and need insight into the ESPiN dislike. Playin' stupid really looks stupid when you really ain't playin'.

Reaction Score
People blame ESPN for UConn losing out on conference realignment. We live in a blame first culture. Someone has to take the fall. Nevermind how unbelievably complex conference realignment is and all the things which happened:

• UConn went on probation for Nate Miles incident and then later APR ban
  • Calhoun's deteriorating health and retirement left basketball program with "unknown future" status
  • Pasqualoni hire sucked wind out of football program
  • Not a traditional football school
  • Other, larger television markets (Maryland/DC, Rutgers/NJ) were chosen for conferences based on pure TV sets
People tend to ignore all that stuff and just blame ESPN for dismantling the Big East, which is not exactly what happened. Yes, ESPN gave more money to ACC to grab teams like Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville, and why not? They want a better product. Their only allegiance is to their shareholders. They are a publicly traded company and they can't afford to think with anything but the bottom line.

People want to oversimplify and blame ESPN, but the truth is complicated, and has a lot to do with the conference commissioners, the overall chase of the almighty dollar in college athletics (something we are all contributing to), as well as the instability of the UConn program and the lack of football culture at UConn all combined to make a very difficult situation.

But hey, whatever, ignore all that and you get the BY narrative: ESPN took CT taxpayer money to screw UConn because it secretly hates us for being awesome. Makes total sense.

Every time a talking head at ESPN says something unfavorable, it's evidence of this. Nevermind that they're basically all paid to be judgmental hotheads.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think there's a lot of paranoia at play, frankly. People here wet their pants every time someone says something about UConn and doesn't mention UConn's titles, Jim Calhoun's philanthropy work, and a full explanation of why the APR punishment was unwarranted.

I'm not going to deny ESPN's role in the realignment mess, but I don't think ESPN has some kind of vendetta or bias against UConn.

Reaction Score
People blame ESPN for UConn losing out on conference realignment. We live in a blame first culture. Someone has to take the fall. Nevermind how unbelievably complex conference realignment is and all the things which happened:

• [ ]UConn went on probation for Nate Miles incident and then later APR ban
    [ ]Calhoun's deteriorating health and retirement left basketball program with "unknown future" status
    [ ]Pasqualoni hire sucked wind out of football program
    [ ]Not a traditional football school
    [ ]Other, larger television markets (Maryland/DC, Rutgers/NJ) were chosen for conferences based on pure TV sets
People tend to ignore all that stuff and just blame ESPN for dismantling the Big East, which is not exactly what happened. Yes, ESPN gave more money to ACC to grab teams like Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville, and why not? They want a better product. Their only allegiance is to their shareholders. They are a publicly traded company and they can't afford to think with anything but the bottom line.

People want to oversimplify and blame ESPN, but the truth is complicated, and has a lot to do with the conference commissioners, the overall chase of the almighty dollar in college athletics (something we are all contributing to), as well as the instability of the UConn program and the lack of football culture at UConn all combined to make a very difficult situation.

But hey, whatever, ignore all that and you get the BY narrative: ESPN took CT taxpayer money to screw UConn because it secretly hates us for being awesome. Makes total sense.

Every time a talking head at ESPN says something unfavorable, it's evidence of this. Nevermind that they're basically all paid to be judgmental hotheads.
I agree with the last two lines of your post. You left out that ESPN is run by the Syracuse alumni and naturally has an anti UConn bias.

Reaction Score
I agree with the last two lines of your post. You left out that ESPN is run by the Syracuse alumni and naturally has an anti UConn bias.

ESPN is owned by Disney Corporation and I can promise you they care more about stock price than making sure Syracuse looks good.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While dancing up and down the board tonight I notice a common thread of hatred for this company based right here in CT.

My question is, why the hate?

I'm open to half truths, flat out lies and conspiracies...and maybe a dose of common sense, too.

Thanks for any insight.

Because they used to report on sports. Now they are the sports version of Gawker. They are even their own soap opera internally. Haven't watched sportscenter in 15+ years (except for when my team wins a championship or big tournament game).

Apologies ahead of time to zls.

Reaction Score
I generally don't buy into the hysteria and conspiracy theories, but when you see the coach of the 4 time (and reigning) National Champions on the front page of their College Basketball site with the coaches at Wichita St. and VCU asking "Why are you still here?", it is no coincidence.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
ESPN is owned by Disney Corporation and I can promise you they care more about stock price than making sure Syracuse looks good.

There's absolutely no reason they can't (and don't) do both. Syracuse media folks love to rip on UCONN. Same with BC and UMASS. It's not a bid deal, but it is annoying.

Reaction Score
There's absolutely no reason they can't (and don't) do both. Syracuse media folks love to rip on UCONN. Same with BC and UMASS. It's not a bid deal, but it is annoying.

Never mind the Cuse alumni who work there, there are a ton of out of staters who probably hate living here who get sick of hearing about UConn in the local press. It comes through. It doesn't necessarily mean they are behind the royal screwing that we've received in the world of CR, but the image they've shaped certainly hasn't helped.

Reaction Score

They could, but it makes zero business sense. You don't alienate your customers if you can avoid it. It's the reason pharmacies and department stores use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" -- the more people you can have feel included, the more happy customers you have.

Can you imagine a Disney board member saying, "Hey, guys, we can't help but notice you're really pissing off 3 million paying ESPN customers in Connecticut, many of whom vote for our tax subsidies, but hey, GO CUSE." Cause I can't.

Reaction Score
They could, but it makes zero business sense. You don't alienate your customers if you can avoid it. It's the reason pharmacies and department stores use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" -- the more people you can have feel included, the more happy customers you have.

Can you imagine a Disney board member saying, "Hey, guys, we can't help but notice you're really pissing off 3 million paying ESPN customers in Connecticut, many of whom vote for our tax subsidies, but hey, GO CUSE." Cause I can't.

What does the APR ban have to do with anything? Louisville fell afoul of the APR in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom