ESPN WBB announcer’s interesting insight. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN WBB announcer’s interesting insight.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She also said at an earlier point in the game "Coaches don't determine playing time , players do". So which is it? IMO she just loves the sound of her own voice. She never stops talking.
Apparently that is one of the latest catch-phrases. They touched on it in one of the games I was watching today, not the UConn game IIRC. It isn't original to her, apparently.

The concept also isn't new. Vivian Stringer said something similar, numerous coaches have. It is a variation of the earning your playing time in practice. I remember John Cheney saying something along those lines at Vivian's WBB Hall of Fame post-induction event.

Whoever said Debbie can be like nails scratching a chalkboard isn't wrong - but I generally find her informative. Try listening to Carolyn Peck for a comparison.

Reaction Score
She’s a big guard who can play the 1, 2 or 3 in the pros. She’s a great passer and defender who’s become a really good shooter from the arc. There’s no obvious #1 like Boston next year.

Evina is a complete player who also provides great leadership. Depending on the need and draft order, Evina has a good chance to be the top guard chosen and perhaps and outside chance to go #1 overall.
There is nfw Westbrook goes before Ryan(sp?) Howard.

Reaction Score
I have such a love hate relationship with listening to her commentary. I feel like she often makes up technical buzzwords, exhibits bias toward certain teams, and has her clear favorite players. But she is also really knowledgable about the game of basketball. She had some really nice comments yesterday about what adjustments teams and players should make, and we watched them happen.

That being said, I was frustrated that she was gushing over Haley Jones. Yes, she played a great game, but also shot the ball abysmally. Failed to mention that fact to keep her performance in perspective.
I feel the exact same way. I love listening to her do men's broadcasts because she has no emotional attachment to it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If a WNBA general manager was wondering about drafting a forward in the first round and used Baylor-Michigan games to scout NaLyssa Smith and/or Naz Hillmon, he/she might come to the conclusion that they should take Leigh Brown of Michigan in the 2nd round.

Since we're talking about ESPN announcers, Rebecca Lobo had it right about Brown: once Hillmon fouled out, Baylor knew Brown was the first, second and third option. And she rose to the occasion. "Tough" says Lobo, which might be her highest compliment. The drive when Brown crossed over at the top of the key and drove left against a pesky Baylor guard, then pulled up and hit a bank shot while the guard went flying into the audience: Whew! Tough, indeed. That's my kind of player. ;)

Reaction Score
Hmm, respectfully these feel like some somewhat recycled hot takes. Would you call ONO a "foul machine" too? Because she has 27 so far this season in 8 games (3.4 per game); Brink has 26 in 10 (2.6 per game). I don't think of ONO as a foul machine, necessarily; it's just the nature of the beast when you post up against a bunch of top squads. (Though she does need to learn to keep her freakin' elbows down...)

Yesterday was unquestionably a bad performance on Brink's part, but it was also the first time she's ever fouled out. And the post she was matched up against, Tamari Key, fouled out too. I definitely agree, like many frosh posts, Brink fouled way too much last season. And she definitely needs to be more disciplined. But yesterday's game was the first time this season I've felt like she was being unnecessarily careless about fouling.
I happen to really like Brink as a player........wish UConn got her.............unfortunately ONO also tends to consistently get in early foul trouble........ while she too doesn't often foul out, those early fouls force her to play less aggressively and her effectiveness declines over the course of the game......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She is a guard..next ?.
I know just about everyone is listed as a guard on college rosters, and as KY’s star player, Howard is often isolated in the Wildcats offense with the ball in her hands. At the next level, Howard will play the 3 or 4.

Reaction Score
I know just about everyone is listed as a guard on college rosters, and as KY’s star player, Howard is often isolated in the Wildcats offense with the ball in her hands. At the next level, Howard will play the 3 or 4.

Rhyne Howard a 4? That's a really odd thought to me. Do not see it an iota.

Reaction Score
During the game Antonelli also suggested that Evina Westbrook could be the first pick in the WNBA draft. I had felt that Evina could be the first guard taken, but the first overall pick would be a remarkable achievement.
We shall see. But I guarantee she won't be the first pick in the draft. And I don't even think she will be the first guard taken. She is not "quick" and WNBA demands speed in its guards. She is also not a consistent three point shooter (0-5 from the arc yesterday for UCONN). She also is prone to turnovers.

Reaction Score
the odds of Brink fouling out in the South Carolina game against that big front court.............90%...........;)

She can hit a few outside shots and block a few at the other end. If Stanford can stop SCar's transition game SCar will not score very fast so Stanford, like in the Tenn game will not have to have a great shooting game,

I think I'll end up watching this game a few times since these two teams will be around in April.

Geno will need my help. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
never cared for her opinions. Same person that said after Gonzaga beat Oklahoma who was missing their best player "they should stop the tournament cause Gonzaga was unstoppable." Sorry Debbie, the tournament continued and the best team won. BAYLOR

Reaction Score
Odd? Perhaps. But it makes more sense than Howard at the 1 or 2.

I don't think anyone ever suggested playing Howard at 1.

Personally, I think the strong ball handling, strong shooting perimeter oriented player does make sense at the 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
Odd? Perhaps. But it makes more sense than Howard at the 1 or 2.
Rhyne is a SG/SF. She won't be seeing any time at the 4 at the next level. She's good enough to play there in a pinch, but that is far from her natural spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom