ESPN WBB announcer’s interesting insight. | The Boneyard

ESPN WBB announcer’s interesting insight.

Reaction Score
Viewed the Stanford- Tenn game yesterday.
During the game, one of the announcers
( Deb Antonelli) made an interesting comment.
Let me qualify her first- has been announcing NCAA hoops for over 20 years. Played for Kay Yow for 4 years and her team qualified for the NCAA tourney all 4 years.
She’s what I would consider a knowledgeable individual.
During the game she stated that “woman’s basketball has become much more of an uptempo game. Faster game, many more substitutions. If top players don’t get playing time, they enter the portal.”
I tend to agree with her.
Anyone else?
By the way, a very good game.
First half- Stanford was smooth as silk.
Well spread out across the floor - nice crisp (no lazy) passes- patient- like a machine.
Came out after the half playing like they had the game in hand.
Tennessee disagreed- showed some resolve, and closed the gap. Didn’t quit.
IMHO- Stanford is a patient, disciplined, smart team.
Should be a great game against SC later this week.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The [virtually] complete offensive mess in the 3rd quarter for Stanford was due in part to LadyVol defensive effort [never gave up despite down 43-26 at the half]/momentum created by the defense and the crowd support. But also Stanford made some just-awful passes leading to unforced turnovers...ran an offense that led to bad shots...and missed the few good ones they took. I think it was about 2 minutes left in the quarter that Stanford finally scored a point.

LadyVol had tremendous momentum....got to within 3 several times with the ball...hideous foul shooting on their part did'not help. In some ways I was more impressed with the LadyVol comeback than the Cardinal win. Tenn. was ranked in the top 10 before this loss...not sure about that....but they are getting better with the new coach. Glad to see them lose....of course!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let me qualify her first- has been announcing NCAA hoops for over 20 years. Played for Kay Yow for 4 years and her team qualified for the NCAA tourney all 4 years.
During the game she stated that “woman’s basketball has become much more of an uptempo game. Faster game, many more substitutions. If top players don’t get playing time, they enter the portal.”
Anyone else?
Well spread out across the floor - nice crisp (no lazy) passes- patient- like a machine.
During the game Antonelli also suggested that Evina Westbrook could be the first pick in the WNBA draft. I had felt that Evina could be the first guard taken, but the first overall pick would be a remarkable achievement.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Debbie says a lot of and a lot of is just that.

I don't think there is an appreciable change in the speed of play - she was announcing a game between two teams that primarily played half court sets, and played more players because one star on each side fouled out, one in 8 minutes of game time and the other in 16. And in an SEC arena - the league that invented the slow slog foul fest version of women's basketball as well as the 'chuck it and O rebound' style of offense.

I agree that transfers have exploded and some of it is certainly playing time related, but I would say most of it is 1) rules changes to make transfers easier, 2) covid changes that make campus life less attractive, 3) coach/player misfits. Playing time is determined by a combination of skill and learning at most good teams. College doesn't give participation trophies.

Reaction Score
I have such a love hate relationship with listening to her commentary. I feel like she often makes up technical buzzwords, exhibits bias toward certain teams, and has her clear favorite players. But she is also really knowledgable about the game of basketball. She had some really nice comments yesterday about what adjustments teams and players should make, and we watched them happen.

That being said, I was frustrated that she was gushing over Haley Jones. Yes, she played a great game, but also shot the ball abysmally. Failed to mention that fact to keep her performance in perspective.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Antonelli’s most astute comment was noting how poorly the Cardinal react to ball pressure. Lacking an excellent point guard is their Achilles heel. Brink is a foul machine.
Hmm, respectfully these feel like some somewhat recycled hot takes. Would you call ONO a "foul machine" too? Because she has 27 so far this season in 8 games (3.4 per game); Brink has 26 in 10 (2.6 per game). I don't think of ONO as a foul machine, necessarily; it's just the nature of the beast when you post up against a bunch of top squads. (Though she does need to learn to keep her freakin' elbows down...)

Yesterday was unquestionably a bad performance on Brink's part, but it was also the first time she's ever fouled out. And the post she was matched up against, Tamari Key, fouled out too. I definitely agree, like many frosh posts, Brink fouled way too much last season. And she definitely needs to be more disciplined. But yesterday's game was the first time this season I've felt like she was being unnecessarily careless about fouling.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anyone else?
Not exactly breaking news that kids want to play and some transfer if they can't in their current situation Also not surprised that you would quickly pickup up on this statements since it supports your other contention that Geno needs to hand out playing time to prevent players from leaving UCONN. You may want to consider the UCONN incoming side of that transfer equation and impact. The last 5 transfers in for UCONN ( Natalie Butler, Evelyn Adebayo, Azura Stevens, Evina Westbrook, & Dorka were starters and arguably the best players on their former teams-therefore playing time was not an issue for any of those incoming players. The impact side of that equations is probably more significant. No disrespect to Mir or Saylor but IMO they are not the type of players that are going to drastically change the fortunes of a top 25 program. UCONN has been fortunate this far to be on the right side of the impact part of the transfer equation but other schools have not been. Maryland for example lost Lexie Brown to transfer after making consecutive FF appearances.

Reaction Score
Antonelli is knowledgeable, but annoying (like fingernails on a chalkboard). She's bullish and repetitive to the point of exhausting with her opinions... which she often offers in tones that masquerade them as facts. I don't care how good or bad a team is...some kids aren't going to play much, if at all. Some leave, but not to the mass exodus that she suggested. Recently the portal and free year just exaggerated what has always happened. When Mowins and Antonelli call a game...at some point I usually turn down the volume.

Reaction Score
Stanford does not have great outside shooting. Especially 3 point shooting or at least that was the case earlier in the year when they lost to Texas. They couldn't buy a bucket that game and they couldn't stop a quick point guard. Azzi may do well against Stanford if she can bring back that pull up jumper..

Reaction Score
To be honest, it is probably in Uconn's interest for some players to transfer. It's another scholarship opportunity to bring in a KK Arnold or Ice Brady. It is not in Geno's interest for players to stay if he doesn't feel they warrant PT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford does not have great outside shooting. Especially 3 point shooting or at least that was the case earlier in the year when they lost to Texas. They couldn't buy a bucket that game and they couldn't stop a quick point guard. Azzi may do well against Stanford if she can bring back that pull up jumper..
If Azzi gets a chance to use her pull up jumper against Stanford this season UCONN will be very fortunate.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Anyone else?

She also said at an earlier point in the game "Coaches don't determine playing time , players do". So which is it? IMO she just loves the sound of her own voice. She never stops talking.

Reaction Score
Not exactly breaking news that kids want to play and some transfer if they can't in their current situation Also not surprised that you would quickly pickup up on this statements since it supports your other contention that Geno needs to hand out playing time to prevent players from leaving UCONN. You may want to consider the UCONN incoming side of that transfer equation and impact. The last 5 transfers in for UCONN ( Natalie Butler, Evelyn Adebayo, Azura Stevens, Evina Westbrook, & Dorka were starters and arguably the best players on their former teams-therefore playing time was not an issue for any of those incoming players. The impact side of that equations is probably more significant. No disrespect to Mir or Saylor but IMO they are not the type of players that are going to drastically change the fortunes of a top 25 program. UCONN has been fortunate this far to be on the right side of the impact part of the transfer equation but other schools have not been. Maryland for example lost Lexie Brown to transfer after
Some say tom-a-to
Some say tom-ah-to
You say “hand out”
I say “plan for the unforeseen”
And here we are....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't really see how Westbrook could be the #1 pick.
She’s a big guard who can play the 1, 2 or 3 in the pros. She’s a great passer and defender who’s become a really good shooter from the arc. There’s no obvious #1 like Boston next year.

Evina is a complete player who also provides great leadership. Depending on the need and draft order, Evina has a good chance to be the top guard chosen and perhaps and outside chance to go #1 overall.

Reaction Score
During the game Antonelli also suggested that Evina Westbrook could be the first pick in the WNBA draft. I had felt that Evina could be the first guard taken, but the first overall pick would be a remarkable achievement.

Will her knee hold up?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Would you call ONO a "foul machine" too? Because she has 27 so far this season in 8 games (3.4 per game); Brink has 26 in 10 (2.6 per game).
To answer your question honestly, yes, I would. That doesn't fully describe her game; like Brink, there are a lot of positives that she brings (not so much in evidence today against L'ville), but her fouling is a real problem, and may keep her out of the first round of the WNBA draft. She does NOT have a problem with strength or bulk, despite the fact that her critics constantly raise that issue.

To be honest, it is probably in Uconn's interest for some players to transfer. It's another scholarship opportunity to bring in a KK Arnold or Ice Brady. It is not in Geno's interest for players to stay if he doesn't feel they warrant PT.
Indeed so, although they haven't needed to clear space to make room for freshman recruits. But the evidence that it is not a negative for UConn is the fact that Geno has never lost a high-minutes player to the transfer portal, although he has lost a few to early departure to the WNBA or to other graduate academic programs. In making this statement, I have not forgotten about EDD or Samarie Walker, but (for different reasons) I don't regard them as exceptions to this statement.

Re Debbie Antonelli, does anyone else talk about "the nail"? She is the only one whom I have ever heard use that term. Is this coach lingo, or (as I suspect) is it entirely specific to her?

Reaction Score
She’s a big guard who can play the 1, 2 or 3 in the pros. She’s a great passer and defender who’s become a really good shooter from the arc. There’s no obvious #1 like Boston next year.

Evina is a complete player who also provides great leadership. Depending on the need and draft order, Evina has a good chance to be the top guard chosen and perhaps and outside chance to go #1 overall.
I seriously doubt all of this. I won't go into specific criticisms of her abilities, I'll just say that outside of 2-3 locks most years, that draft is nothing more than hyped up tryout invitations. IMO, she'll be fortunate to make a roster to start the season. In a stronger draft, check out the impact all the guards taken in last season's 1st round had. And EW isn't better than any of them. Except for McDonald, she's just on a better college team with more help. In a pro camp weaknesses get exposed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt all of this. I won't go into specific criticisms of her abilities, I'll just say that outside of 2-3 locks most years, that draft is nothing more than hyped up tryout invitations. IMO, she'll be fortunate to make a roster to start the season. In a stronger draft, check out the impact all the guards taken in last season's 1st round had. And EW isn't better than any of them. Except for McDonald, she's just on a better college team with more help. In a pro camp weaknesses get exposed.
LoL that someone actually believes Evina is going to be the first pick in the WNBA draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom