ESPN updated top 25 players in WCBB | The Boneyard

ESPN updated top 25 players in WCBB

Reaction Score
Saw this buried over in the general board, but it really should be here. Paige at #3, Aaliyah at #13. FWIW I think Reese is too high and Rice too low, but good list for discussion. Lots of chatter about "who's played hard schedules" and what not...

ESPN top 25 players WCBB
Silly ranking Edwards outside the top 10-I have her in top 5. At the end of the year, likely she will be one of the top draft choices depending on who needs offense, defense, and a pro ready player. You will not have to guess on her upside.

Reaction Score
Silly ranking Edwards outside the top 10-I have her in top 5. At the end of the year, likely she will be one of the top draft choices depending on who needs offense, defense, and a pro ready player. You will not have to guess on her upside.
I don't think people are going to take into account that Aaliyah is often going to be the only uconn big on the floor when they rate her.

Reaction Score
Agree, and Kitely is way too low also. Another glaring omission is Gianna Kneepkins of Utah, didn’t even get an honorable mention.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think people are going to take into account that Aaliyah is often going to be the only uconn big on the floor when they rate her.
Your UConn bias is in overload

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, I think they were being more than fair on Aaliyah as she simply has not played great against great teams. In our 3 losses, she's struggled and especially against UCLA where she fouled out with only 5 pts,, 5 rebounds, 0 assists and 2 turnovers. while here points in NC State were 21 and against Texas were 22, she still only had 6 rebounds each which is not what you want your key post player to have. Add in her 7 turnovers in those games (4/3) and that is a problem. "Being a top draft pick" and being a top collegiate player are not necessarily the same criteria. I absolutely love Aaliyah but she needs to step up in the big games and show us. She will have her chance against ND and SC so I hope your right but at the moment I agree with ESPN.

Reaction Score
As long as they got #1 right, that is all that matters. After Caitlin Clark, y'all can have the debate over who should be ranked here or there.

Reaction Score
I suspect Kitley will not last long in the W. She plays a similar game to Elissa Cunane, with a similar skillset, and Cunane didn't make a team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another glaring omission is Gianna Kneepkins of Utah, didn’t even get an honorable mention.
Kneepkens is out for the rest of the season after breaking her foot a few weeks ago. Same reason why Azzi Fudd is not on the list.

Reaction Score
Kneepkens is out for the rest of the season after breaking her foot a few weeks ago. Same reason why Azzi Fudd is not on the list.
Not a good comparison, Fudd only played two games this season and didn’t exactly light it up in those two games, while Kneepkens played in 8 games and was averaging 20ppg when she got injured. Gianna should be on that list.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not a good comparison, Fudd only played two games this season and didn’t exactly light it up in those two games, while Kneepkens played in 8 games and was averaging 20ppg when she got injured. Gianna should be on that list.
But she's out for the season. Are there any other players on the list who are out for the rest of the season?

I'm sure she would've been at least an HM but for the injury.

Reaction Score
I suspect Kitley will not last long in the W. She plays a similar game to Elissa Cunane, with a similar skillset, and Cunane didn't make a team.
Kitley’s better than Cunane, and that’s saying something since I think Cunane was one of the top two picks in the draft, and Kitley doesn’t have Diamond Johnson in the backcourt either.

Reaction Score
But she's out for the season. Are there any other players on the list who are out for the rest of the season?

I'm sure she would've been at least an HM but for the injury.
Yeah maybe, but if Caitlin Clarke breaks her ankle tomorrow do they take her out of the running for NPOY? I think but for the injury, Kneepkens would be a lock for top 25. That being said, I hope UConn and Iowa meet in the post season. That would be a fun game to watch, and Paige with something to prove.

Reaction Score
Kitley’s better than Cunane, and that’s saying something since I think Cunane was one of the top two picks in the draft, and Kitley doesn’t have Diamond Johnson in the backcourt either.
That’s the oddity of the situation, since Cunane was an excellent D1 player, and had an excellent supporting cast when NC St ran into the buzzsaw known as Paige.

Another way to put the question might be, how do Cunane and Kitley compare to Boston? I don’t mean she’s the standard everyone has to meet. I merely mean that her skills translated very well into the W and Cunane’s didn’t.

And what were Boston’s skills? Very active feet and hands, very hard to move out of the low post, a very good scorer with a decent midrange game, a great rebounder, and a quite subtle shot blocker. Cunane was a very good low post scorer and pretty good shot blocker. But she wasn’t quite as forceful in the low post. Kitley is similar in this respect, with perhaps a better midrange shot. Strong as the two of them are, the part of the game that asks them to grapple with other bigs in the paint is t what they shine at. And this seems to be precisely what the W demands of bigs.

Reaction Score
I hope UConn and Iowa meet in the post season. That would be a fun game to watch, and Paige with something to prove.
Me too, absolutely! Let’s compare Caitlin and Paige, both against top defenses and see what we’ve already seen before confirmed… again. They won’t guard each other, of course. Nika, KK and Ashlynn would have the assignment for Geno, and Kate Martin, Molly Davis and Gabby Marshall would guard Paige.

Reaction Score
That’s the oddity of the situation, since Cunane was an excellent D1 player, and had an excellent supporting cast when NC St ran into the buzzsaw known as Paige.

Another way to put the question might be, how do Cunane and Kitley compare to Boston? I don’t mean she’s the standard everyone has to meet. I merely mean that her skills translated very well into the W and Cunane’s didn’t.

And what were Boston’s skills? Very active feet and hands, very hard to move out of the low post, a very good scorer with a decent midrange game, a great rebounder, and a quite subtle shot blocker. Cunane was a very good low post scorer and pretty good shot blocker. But she wasn’t quite as forceful in the low post. Kitley is similar in this respect, with perhaps a better midrange shot. Strong as the two of them are, the part of the game that asks them to grapple with other bigs in the paint is t what they shine at. And this seems to be precisely what the W demands of bigs.
Agree with most of what you say, but I’ll just throw it out there that right now Kitley is well on her way to having significantly better college career stats than either Cunane or Boston.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think they were being more than fair on Aaliyah as she simply has not played great against great teams. In our 3 losses, she's struggled and especially against UCLA where she fouled out with only 5 pts,, 5 rebounds, 0 assists and 2 turnovers. while here points in NC State were 21 and against Texas were 22, she still only had 6 rebounds each which is not what you want your key post player to have. Add in her 7 turnovers in those games (4/3) and that is a problem. "Being a top draft pick" and being a top collegiate player are not necessarily the same criteria. I absolutely love Aaliyah but she needs to step up in the big games and show us. She will have her chance against ND and SC so I hope your right but at the moment I agree with ESPN.

Great points, however WNBA scouts look at things differently. For contrast Laeticia Amihere was drafted #8 recently. Her career numbers are nowhere close to where Aaliyah's are at this point. Atlanta went with long term potential in this case.

Personally, I think where Aaliyah is ranked currently is fair. In the end, if she does declare, WNBA teams aren't going to rely on a ESPN list for their research.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yeah maybe, but if Caitlin Clarke breaks her ankle tomorrow do they take her out of the running for NPOY?
A player who misses the final two-thirds of the season would undoubtedly be out of the running for NPOY.

Of course, ESPN's panel doesn't decide the main NPOY and All-American awards.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you say, but I’ll just throw it out there that right now Kitley is well on her way to having significantly better college career stats than either Cunane or Boston.
You're not wrong, though Kitley will only overtake Boston because she's playing a 5th year. Anyway, your remark got me to look stuff up, and Kitley's numbers look a lot better than Cunene's and not too far behind Boston's, on a 4 year basis.

Boston: 1942 pts, 1493 rebounds, 329 blocks, 229 assists, 188 turnovers

Kitley: 1902 pts, 1078 rebounds, 232 blocks, 169 assists, 228 turnovers

Cunane: 1855 pts, 986 rebounds, 114 blocks, 158 assists, 275 turnovers

In Cunane's defense, she averaged 26 mins/g in her 4 years, compared to 26.9 for Boston in her 4 years, and >33 mins/g for Kitley's first four years. On a per minute basis, Kitley looks a bit closer to Cunane and farther from Boston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom