ESPN: UConn's Dan Hurley doesn't just yell -- now he reads, listens and coaches differently | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN: UConn's Dan Hurley doesn't just yell -- now he reads, listens and coaches differently

Reaction Score
Yeah the fear of losing point stuck with me as well. It seems pretty clear to me we play scared and tight when games get close, late and that our coach tightens in those situations as well. If you're scared to lose, you're gonna lose a lot.
It's akin to the prevent defense in football. Or in golf, when you know you "only" have to make bogey on the 72nd hole of a tournament to win, so you play safe and, voila, you're putting down a double on your scorecard

Reaction Score
I take issue with people criticizing criticism of Hurley. What’s a fan board for if you can’t critique the coach.
In Dan’s case until he actually wins a meaningful game in March or shows he can win a majority of closely contested ones. Especially those decided in the last minutes , by good decision making, then he is fair game. To be honest in the BY tradition even past success doesn’t give you a pass. You’re measured by your last loss , unfair maybe but a lot of fun .
I’m sure I criticized JC for things , because even the greatest aren’t perfect unlike us impeccable basketball geniuses.

All Calhoun did in is first four years
2- NIT champs
3- third round of the NIT
4- Big East Champs , BE tourney champs , final 8
That was playing in a brutal conference were almost every Coach was a future HOFer
Given that history if there was BY in 1990-91 he would have be torched by some fans for that somewhat off year.
you said the perfect thing. It’s fun! Or at least it should be. That’s all this board should be ultimately. Fun. My observation is there are a bunch of people on here who are not having fun. They take it too seriously. hence some of the crazy, emotional blind rage posts.

Reaction Score
Ice water in his veins!

"So we take this incredible shame from losing when our teams fail, and we have a hard time functioning. The day of a game you're almost so paralyzed with fear of losing and failure."

Reaction Score
"Both me and Bobby, we mirror my dad -- like how personal he took St. Anthony winning and losing and how debilitated he would be -- like nonfunctional -- if he ever lost," he said. "So we take this incredible shame from losing when our teams fail, and we have a hard time functioning. The day of a game you're almost so paralyzed with fear of losing and failure."

I love Hurley and think he's the guy, but he needs to harness this more with this team. You can see and feel the fear when things get close at the end of games. He may think he's hiding it but it's something you can feel. Hopefully can exercise this demon more completely on the fly.

Reaction Score
I love Dan Hurley, would run through walls for him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I take issue with people criticizing criticism of Hurley. What’s a fan board for if you can’t critique...
Critique & criticism aren't precisely the same. Similarly, one might ask, "What's a fan board for if one can't be a fanatic?"

I wonder why posters spend game day contemplating the full season or someone's past or future career rather than tonight's game.

We know it wouldn't be good if the coaches or players were to do that.

And we know that opposing teams and rivals want us off-purpose.

And we know that media outlets need stories and clicks and viewers and revenue. But why do we fans take the bait?

I'll read the story after the game.

Go Huskies.
One game at a time.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Call me a Hurley stan but I wouldn’t want him gone even if he had first round exits the next two years. IMO that’s throwing the baby out with the bath water given everything he’s done for the program already.

Reaction Score
How does Hurley continue to get outcoached this badly in big games. Season is turning into one of the biggest national embarrassments

Reaction Score
Yeah, this article puts to bed that we have the right guy for the job.
No he is the wrong guy for the job
Isn’t it obvious it is to my friends in college basketball sports betting in Vegas and California He has lost his team Ge will not go Zone He won’t play the two big guys together and tonight, where is Sampson
He won’t change it up at all
Nobody blocks out
Every shot is one and done
Every shot is contested
His team is now without confidence

He has killed the spirit of a team with many gifted players

Reaction Score
Great article. Amazed someone from ESPN would write such a piece.

Completely dispels loads of the tired arguments that the Hurley Malcontents trot out here at any opportunity (but mainly after losses).

None of that info in that article will matter though...they'll still keep keyboard warrior-ing the same tired trash.
But the losses are piling up though. Show me the money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom