ESPN: UConn's Dan Hurley doesn't just yell -- now he reads, listens and coaches differently | The Boneyard

ESPN: UConn's Dan Hurley doesn't just yell -- now he reads, listens and coaches differently

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1674660609152.png

:D

Reaction Score
"It's all about extreme confidence on game night. If I'm yelling at my players on game night, I suck as a coach," he said. "These players are in a tough enough spot ... We become more like the corner man in boxing who is trying to pump up their fighter."

What a freaking recruiting quote!

Reaction Score
Fanta just put an article out there about Hurley today too.

I hope Hurley had time to actually plan for a game tonight with his car wash type media schedule this week :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great article. Amazed someone from ESPN would write such a piece.

Completely dispels loads of the tired arguments that the Hurley Malcontents trot out here at any opportunity (but mainly after losses).

None of that info in that article will matter though...they'll still keep keyboard warrior-ing the same tired trash.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this article puts to bed that we have the right guy for the job.
I love Hurley too but let's pump the brakes. One laudatory article doesn't mean he's the right guy for the job. I thought KO would be coaching here 20 years after all of the adulation he got - after winning a championship.

Hurley seems like a great guy. He's a good recruiter. He's made huge strides with the program. Now, in year 5 with all of his own guys and no excuses, he needs to win Big East titles, or BET, or at least a single game in March

Reaction Score
I love Hurley too but let's pump the brakes. One laudatory article doesn't mean he's the right guy for the job. I thought KO would be coaching here 20 years after all of the adulation he got - after winning a championship.

Hurley seems like a great guy. He's a good recruiter. He's made huge strides with the program. Now, in year 5 with all of his own guys and no excuses, he needs to win Big East titles, or BET, or at least a single game in March
After winning that championship… I also thought KO was a great coach… that had to be the greatest coaching job ever(2014)… don’t know what happened after that.. he went from the best to one of the worst

Reaction Score
I found this very intriguing and I think he is consciously working on his Zen despite what he said about fiery energy and theatrics.

On one table in his office is the David Goggins book, "Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds." The other book he's currently reading? "The Mountain is You: Transforming Self-Sabotage Into Self-Mastery," by Brianna Wiest.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this article puts to bed that we have the right guy for the job.
It's a lot of nice words. He still has to prove it. And yes, by all means, I want him to succeed.....going out and finding another coach is always difficult. I'll be convinced when we start A) winning close road games against quality opponents and B) making some noise in the NCAA tournament. Until then, the jury is still out.

Reaction Score

Missing the point entirely, everyone agrees that he needs to win games in March or he'll be gone. But there has been a vocal minority calling out specific things like Hurley being wound too tight and him putting too much pressure on the players so they choke at the end of games. This article disproves those claims, even if there wasn't really a doubt they were ridiculous claims to any reasonable person

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t trade Hurley for any coach in the country…by far the best recruiter in college basketball, and his players love him… good things coming!!!
I also think players families seem to really trust Hurley when they send their sons to be with him. Castles mom always seems to go out of her way to mention that aspect of his recruitment.

Reaction Score
Great article. Amazed someone from ESPN would write such a piece.

Completely dispels loads of the tired arguments that the Hurley Malcontents trot out here at any opportunity (but mainly after losses).

None of that info in that article will matter though...they'll still keep keyboard warrior-ing the same tired trash.
Borzello has always been good to the program and consistently offers unbiased UConn takes, unlike Myron Medcalf and all the Newhouse grads in Bristol.

Reaction Score
Missing the point entirely, everyone agrees that he needs to win games in March or he'll be gone. But there has been a vocal minority calling out specific things like Hurley being wound too tight and him putting too much pressure on the players so they choke at the end of games. This article disproves those claims, even if there wasn't really a doubt they were ridiculous claims to any reasonable person
That may have been the point of the article, but the guy I responded to said "this article puts to bed that we have the right guy for the job".

Don't think I'm missing the point by saying that I love the article, love DH's attitude, think any concerns about that are overblown - but still recognize that he doesn't win, and soon, he needs to go. Not sure that everyone actually agrees on that.

Reaction Score

Human relationships are complicated. Pinpointing any specific part of Hurley's or the player's personality is always going to be flawed.

You've just gotta look at wins and losses as objectively as possible. How many wins did we have? Did we win games in March? Are players improving? Is recruiting high-level? Are we winning close games against tough opponents? Anything but wins and losses is fluff.

It should never be about Hurley the person. Yeah, he's neurotic and pretty much ready to burst at any given moment. I am too. He pisses off the refs. NONE of that matters. Are we winning enough to keep him as the head of the program? That's all that matters. Everything else is fluff.

I'm still sticking by my statement from this off-season: I'm not judging our coach based on what happens in the regular season. We already know he can put together a 25 win team from November to February. It's 100% about March.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Interesting article. Give DH credit for evolving as a person. Next is to evolve in game coaching.

B-T-W, When do we become a historical blueblood? Just wondering what else UConn has to do to eradicate dumb statements like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom