ESPN trying to set UConn narrative again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN trying to set UConn narrative again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom line: We have to attend games.

Fans are the ones who make athletic departments notable. Look at Rutgers. I don't even want to imagine what RutgersAl is doing now.

Reaction Score
He posted on the Michigan board recently but some RU fans posted that his account had been hacked. LOL

Reaction Score
After the buzzer sounds, the band stops playing and the cheerleaders home, college sports isn't fun, it's big business full of serious people fighting over big dollars. Some schools get it and some don't we didn't get it until it was too late.

Warde has shown on several occasions that he isn't the rock star we were promised. It doesn't mean he should.be fired. It does mean that he, like us, aren't in the major league at this point in time.

Every personnel decision going forward has the added question, "Can we attract top talent?" KO and whoever succeeds Geno is baked in. Our next FB coach, AD not so much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
If you mean we didn't cheat and lie to steal that big money, then yeah, you have a point. We played by the rules, and look what the NCAA did to us for that. I honestly don't care if the players can't read after graduation anymore.

Reaction Score
why is this comment news? It's a rehash from at least an article that was written 2 months ago.
uconn has shown that going forward they will publicly support the AAC. It makes no sense to do otherwise.

Reaction Score
WM should remain mute. Perhaps, if he actively pursued the ACC when Louisville got the nod maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. If he really believes that the AAC is acceptable to UConn, then he is not the right guy for AD. If he is trying to put on an act, its not working. It comes off as patronizing and I am tired of it.

Where's the "Rock Star"?

Reaction Score
The AD from Cincinnati isn't giving interviews saying "we're done trying to get into a better league." I've been saying for a long time that this guy is an incompetent boob, and Susan really doesn't care about athletics. What evidence has anyone seen that those are not true statements? In 5 years when UConn wins the conference and plays the MAC Champ in the Detroit Bowl, and people talk about the basketball team in the same breath with Gonzaga and VCU(and I say that realizing that many people seem to think that's ok)not Duke and Louisville, we can all have a Warde Appreciation Dinner at Gampel. Probably during one of the games, since nobody will be in the stands.

Reaction Score
Seems like all you do is monitor the situation and whine, cry, complain etc like a 6 year old girl.

If I'm wrong, tell me about all the things you make happen for yourself
Don't you know twitter makes the world go round ? Stay home from games and tweet is going to put us in the big ten.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AD from Cincinnati isn't giving interviews saying "we're done trying to get into a better league."

Should have stopped there. Sometimes less is more.

Reaction Score
WM should remain mute. Perhaps, if he actively pursued the ACC when Louisville got the nod maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. If he really believes that the AAC is acceptable to UConn, then he is not the right guy for AD. If he is trying to put on an act, its not working. It comes off as patronizing and I am tired of it.

Where's the "Rock Star"?

You are correct, Sea Goat. He probably should have been canned after his disastrous inaction. He has forever altered the lives of UConn athletes and fans, in a negative way.

Reaction Score
You are correct, Sea Goat. He probably should have been canned after his disastrous inaction. He has forever altered the lives of UConn athletes and fans, in a negative way.
This guy was brought in for exactly one reason. He took a Buffalo program that had multiple APR violations and turned it around to the point that they had none. So despite upstater's comments that APR is phony, it was important enough to UConn that it lead to an inept athletic director running the athletic department aground. Read his bio. That more than anything is what gets him the "rockstar" title. Our best hope for the future would be that Warde Manuel just goes away because he neither knows what he's doing nor does his boss particularly care that he doesn't know. Her only interest in athletics is that it not do anything to embarrass the University. From the presswrelease announcing his hiring: From an academic standpoint, teams at Buffalo enjoyed incredible academic success. When Manuel arrived at UB, there were four programs - football, men's basketball, wrestling, and baseball - that fell far below the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) cut score of 925. With a focused academic plan, all four teams posted a four-year APR rate above the cut score and at the end of 2009-10, 10 of UB's 20 sports had scores of 975 or above.

pj

Reaction Score
This guy was brought in for exactly one reason. He took a Buffalo program that had multiple APR violations and turned it around to the point that they had none. So despite upstater's comments that APR is phony, it was important enough to UConn that it lead to an inept athletic director running the athletic department aground. Read his bio. That more than anything is what gets him the "rockstar" title. Our best hope for the future would be that Warde Manuel just goes away because he neither knows what he's doing nor does his boss particularly care that he doesn't know. Her only interest in athletics is that it not do anything to embarrass the University. From the presswrelease announcing his hiring: From an academic standpoint, teams at Buffalo enjoyed incredible academic success. When Manuel arrived at UB, there were four programs - football, men's basketball, wrestling, and baseball - that fell far below the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) cut score of 925. With a focused academic plan, all four teams posted a four-year APR rate above the cut score and at the end of 2009-10, 10 of UB's 20 sports had scores of 975 or above.

Considering that only one school has ever been punished for APR violations, it seems to be absurdly easy to meet APR cutoffs if you maneuver class and player schedules as other schools do. So you could have hired anyone with athletic department experience and fixed APR. If that was the hiring criterion for the new athletic director, it was a stupendously stupid misjudgment by Herbst.

Reaction Score
Considering that only one school has ever been punished for APR violations, it seems to be absurdly easy to meet APR cutoffs if you maneuver class and player schedules as other schools do.

There's about a dozen or so every year, unless you mean "FBS level teams in FB/BB" then it's just UConn, Toledo, and FIU since the new rules were put in place...all for Basketball.

You can definitely game the metric, but I don't think it's completely trivial...especially since the APR rate for post-season qualification going to go even higher in 2016.

Reaction Score
Considering that only one school has ever been punished for APR violations

Not true (and I only point it out so it doesn't become defacto truth on the BY). Others have had scholly's reduced (including Louisville Football), practice time reduced and had post season bans. UConn was just the first BCS program to be affected by post season ban.

Reaction Score
I think its fair to say only one recent three-time national champion has been hit with APR sanctions. The NCAA (and our good buddy Walter Harrison) were so pissed North Carolina was giving players good grades for classes they didn't attend they banned UConn from the tournament.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The NCAA (and our good buddy Walter Harrison) were so pissed North Carolina was giving players good grades for classes they didn't attend they banned UConn from the tournament.

I still want to know what Harrison got from pissing all over UConn whenever he had the chance. Why do we still do have a relationship with UHar?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He should be persona non grata in state.

Hello, Olive Garden.
Yes I'd like to make a reservation for 4 at 8pm tonight.
Okay, name?
Walter Harrison.
No.
What?
No.
I'm sorry?
NO.
Uh, I can't have that reservation?
NO! No you can't.
Uh okay well when can I get a reservation?
When hell freezes over you rat bastard. CLICK.
....honey Olive Garden won't take us either, where to you want to go to dinner, Massachusetts or Rhode Island?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Still biter he hired Ollie, eh?

Reaction Score
Nah, perfect hire for a mid-major...inexperienced but he might work out. I just think the guy is a buffoon. (Manuel not Ollie). Go read his Buffalo bio. His two claims to fame were that he got the APRs up and he changed the logo. What will be his claims to fame at UConn? He got the APR up and changed the logo. I truly hope that some other program runs into APR problems, or needs a new logo. If they do, Warde is their man and he is gone from Storrs. While it might be too late to undo the damage he inflicted, at least a new guy might give it a try. Warde is happy where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom