ESPN Top 25 Players | The Boneyard

ESPN Top 25 Players

Reaction Score
Ready for your hot takes or opinions. I never know how ESPN makes the list ( Update: probably because I just jump to the rankings. I just read the top blurb).

Hot takes: Juju should be top 3. Ayoka Lee being 19 is like a misprint. Kiki Rice shouldnt be so low. Taylor Jones from Texas has played like a top 25 player but she didn't play well UConn. Either Maddie Connors or Sedona Prince should've made the list. Id probably go with Prince because of her rebounding and efficiency.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This doesn't feel too bad to me, even though there is certainly plenty of room for debate. I agree that Kiki Rice should be higher - she's dramatically improved her shooting and I think is the biggest driver of their success after getting Betts. Juju feels OK to me given the competition they've played thus far. She's undoubtedly one of the best players but not sure I have enough yet to jump her over any of those in front. Thanks for posting!

Reaction Score
This doesn't feel too bad to me, even though there is certainly plenty of room for debate. I agree that Kiki Rice should be higher - she's dramatically improved her shooting and I think is the biggest driver of their success after getting Betts. Juju feels OK to me given the competition they've played thus far. She's undoubtedly one of the best players but not sure I have enough yet to jump her over any of those in front. Thanks for posting!

I second this, but add that I'm so glad that Yvonne Ejim is getting recognition. A lot of this is due to Canadian bias, but her overall resume since getting to the NCAA more than justifies it.

She's from the same 2020 class that includes Aaliyah Edwards and Merrisah Russell. She's often overlooked/forgotten when talking about great Canadian talent even though she's playing with the national team like these two.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LSU having 3 on the list is kinda questionable. I think Reese missed too many games to be included, she's certainly too high. Sheldon is too low. Raegan Beers probably should be in the top 25.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty solid list. Lee is way too low but otherwise I think it's well done.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
LSU having 3 on the list is kinda questionable. I think Reese missed too many games to be included, she's certainly too high. Sheldon is too low. Raegan Beers probably should be in the top 25.
I think it's appropriate for a player not to be included until her team plays at least one top 25 opponent. Especially in the case of bigs for whom the lesser teams have no interior matchup.

Reaction Score
I don't think there are 21 people in the country who have seen enough wcbb to make a fair list of the top 25. Who, in the 2022 season had Lou Lopez Senechal on their list? She ended up a high 1st round draft pick and yet no one ever heard of her. How many players like her are playing in virtual anonymity?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not going to get too high or low on an ESPN list/story at this point primarily because:
  • I'm still uneasy that they separate their dual roles of programmer and journalist that well. To wit: some teams are going to be featured on their network and it seems like that moves over to stories like this with player rankings.
  • Like a "best of" or "All Star" lists, it features scorers. When you have so many voters, that's going to be the differentiator. However, all-round players like a Maddy Westbeld or Alyssa Ustby tend to be discounted, getting a vote here or there. As critical as Hannah Hidalgo has been (and she has, perhaps even more than the ranking), Westbeld has stepped in scoring, shooting (more than 50% from field) and rebounding. Ustby is the heart and soul of North Carolina and seems to be workng even harder now that Todd Williams is in Mississippi.
  • Ayoka Lee should most certainly be higher. Way higher.
  • I can see how Big 12 fans might wonder why Sedona Prince and/or Taylor Jones aren't anywhere to be seen.
  • In the same vein, whatever happened to two-way forwards who contribute in oh-so-many ways, such as Maddy Westbeld (nearly a double-double average) or Alyssa Ustby (who, to me, is the true heart and soul of UNC).
  • As the season goes on, I'll be paying attention to how the fab frosh hold up in conference play, particularly against coaches that have tape in hand and know overall team tendencies. Also, will a few "have moved up from the bench" players keep that level (Aziah James).
-

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The article points out how #8 has no one on the list (they listed Sherrod in also receiving votes). Undefeated Baylor has 4 people on the also receiving votes list [ALERT: Texas vs Baylor on 12/30!!!!]. Both of these teams have tremendous parity of scoring across their starting lineups.

Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins chimes in.

I do think Hidalgo is probably a bit low and her numbers are insane. I don't see how she's a better 2 way player than Cameron Brink.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins chimes in.

I do think Hidalgo is probably a bit low and her numbers are insane. I don't see how she's a better 2 way player than Cameron Brink.

I listened to Skylar on a podcast the other day and she specifically talked about HIdalgo's ability to play defense at such an insanely intense (and effective) level that it creates opportunities for the Irish to run and finish layups in the paint. Hidalgo either scoring, assisting or quasi-directly allows the Irish -- most notably Anna DeWolf and KK Bransford -- to also join the pressure brigade.

HH "only" had 5 steals last night (one under her average) but I counted at least three instances where she created the chaos that led to a turnover and points. Maddy Westbeld is very good at joining the fray in these instances.

Her nightly contributions are insane: 23.8 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 6.2 APG, 6.0 SPG
And if Citron was around, her assists total would be even higher -- Citron and Hidalgo are in sync, like so many great players are.

That said, I can live with Watkins being where she is, but I'm going to be interested in just she does in league play. Same as Hidalgo who goes up against Syracuse's Fair on Dec. 31. And, btw, the game with ND vs. UConn should be an absolute hoot, particularly if Citron makes it back. How do Hidalgo and KK Arnold (who chose UConn over ND, if one remembers.) play off each other? Nika vs. Hidalgo? My guess is Anna DeWolfe and KK Bransford will take turns on Paige. Should be a blast. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These lists are really just to stir up some interest as we have a small break for the holidays. I'd say Betts and Rice should both be higher and ahead of Morrow and Amore. I too will be curious if Watkins can keep things up but she's been as good as advertised.

Also it's tough to argue with the top 4 (in that order as well).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom