ESPN - Top 10: Teams outside of our No-Longer-Way-Too-Early Top 25 | The Boneyard

ESPN - Top 10: Teams outside of our No-Longer-Way-Too-Early Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can agree that we need to prove ourselves first. But that's the beauty of our schedule - it's perfectly set up for us to make some noise early in the season (Atlantis & Jimmy V Classic) and prove everyone we belong in the top 15. We just have to take care of business.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why do we have to prove it, but a team like Kentucky that brings in a ton of freshman every year are always preseason top 5? Talent is talent, and at least ours has proven it at this level (outside of Jalen and Enoch, who will be bench players).

Reaction Score
I agree that we need to prove something but these guys always leave other key pieces of information out.

How about having one of the best shot blockers and captain in Amida Brimah returning for his junior year?
How about one of the better defenders/rebounders at his position coming in Shonn Miller?
How about our vastly improved depth now that we have two highly regarded Grad transfers with two top (60?) freshmen?
How about us having 4 seniors (5 but sorry Nnamdi), 4 juniors (2 RS) on the roster?

It just seems like if you really look at the additions we've made plus the fact that college kids should be improving every year that you really talk yourself into believing this team has every making of a top 25 team. We need to prove we're elite, but our roster on paper just screams top 25.

Reaction Score
Who does Maryland have?

Honestly. I look at that Roster and they are top 5 ... and sometimes top 3. I don't see any history that tells me that they are going to be anywhere in March and I would bet a large pile of dollars that they won't be in the Final Four.

UConn gets into March and goes far. Learn that ESPN and stop the Syracuse love.

Reaction Score
God some of you are really insecure
just because eammon brennan is an imbecile doesn't mean fans are insecure. we bring in much more than we lost, (boatright, samuels). In his haste to protect his original claims uconn isn't even top 25, brennan forgets to mentions probably huskies best strength, the phenomenal defensive front court. A starting line up of Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, and Brimah on paper isn't barely a top 15 team, with adams off the bench thats the kind of a personnel a contender trouts out. Those are 4 all conference players easily, with probably the best freshman in the conference off the bench.

its lazy analysis to go, "welp they lost their starting pg, no chance they can even sniff being a contender!"

Reaction Score
Can agree that we need to prove ourselves first. But that's the beauty of our schedule - it's perfectly set up for us to make some noise early in the season (Atlantis & Jimmy V Classic) and prove everyone we belong in the top 15. We just have to take care of business.
100% , just need to take care of business. its really meaningless what these espn staff writers are throwing out in September.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
just because eammon brennan is an imbecile doesn't mean fans are insecure. we bring in much more than we lost, (boatright, samuels). In his haste to protect his original claims uconn isn't even top 25, brennan forgets to mentions probably huskies best strength, the phenomenal defensive front court. A starting line up of Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, and Brimah on paper isn't barely a top 15 team, with adams off the bench thats the kind of a personnel a contender trouts out. Those are 4 all conference players easily, with probably the best freshman in the conference off the bench.

its lazy analysis to go, "welp they lost their starting pg, no chance they can even sniff being a contender!"
Exactly. But its right where we want to be. Slighted and ignored :)

Reaction Score

Im not saying I disagree with your opinion on the team but to send emails to a guy about his opinion is pretty dumb. It's a weird thing this board exhibits, we say that we love to be underdogs and "overlooked" than get our panties in a bunch when some "imbecile" doesn't agree with our assessment of an unproven team. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
Im not saying I disagree with your opinion on the team but to send emails to a guy about his opinion is pretty dumb. It's a weird thing this board exhibits, we say that we love to be underdogs and "overlooked" than get our panties in a bunch when some "imbecile" doesn't agree with our assessment of an unproven team. Am I wrong?
Yeah i wouldn't go out of my way to email/tweet brennan or the likes ( plenty over at cbs). They can just be inept on their own; intervening with them would give them some sort of idea they have an audience.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Better to be left out of the pre-season Top 25 and work your way in than vice versa (for instance last year and 2012) !

Reaction Score

Severely

Reaction Score
Why do we have to prove it, but a team like Kentucky that brings in a ton of freshman every year are always preseason top 5? Talent is talent, and at least ours has proven it at this level (outside of Jalen and Enoch, who will be bench players).

Please send this to ESPN, specifically Brennan.

Reaction Score

It is a little ridiculous of whoever is sending those e-mails to Brennan, idk who's doing that. However, I do think the only reason some people say they prefer being underdogs and overlooked is because it pisses the team off, they feel disrespected. I suppose that provides them with some sort of extra motivation. It's not unreasonable for some fans to be upset that we're being overlooked and want respect many of us feel our players deserve. For every person here that says they want to be the underdog, there are just as many that want to be wire to wire dominant. I'm ultimately fine with either one as long as we get the end result we all want.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with us having to prove ourselves, but with the talent we are bringing in and the level of experience i still cant understand why we aren't in their top 25. So 1 they didnt put us in the top25, then they created an article explaining why we (along with many others) aren't in the top 25. I truly hope that when we make a deep run and Cut down the nets that someone writes a nice counter article rubbing their faces in it that forces them to admit their oversight.

Edit: and leaving out Miller is a huge unexplainable gap. He's a difference maker imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't care where Eamonn Brennan thinks. Actually, scratch that. I do care what he thinks. I hope that he is as pessimistic as possible in assessing UConn's prospects for the 2015-16 season. That is why college basketball is the easiest sport to profit off of from a gambling standpoint - you can unveil flagrant market inefficiencies by deploying nothing other than common sense.

Honestly, I get it. Common sense dictates that these Huskies' - following an NIT berth and the loss of their best player - have a lot to prove. And that's true. There are a lot of college basketball teams with a lot to prove, though, and attempting to handicap their odds purely by virtue of that subjective qualification is probably not the best way to go about it.

If I were a college basketball blogger examining the cursory components of every team in the country, I truthfully may not rank this UConn team in the top 50. That's as much a function of how preposterously middle-heavy college basketball is going to be this year (get ready for me to make this point hundreds of times before and during the season) as it is UConn's roster deficiencies, but nonetheless, the optics paint a picture that veers in the direction of modesty, and frankly, that is probably the approach you should take.

I hope that you will choose me to view me as mentally unstable rather than conceited when I say this, but I feel I have a better grasp on the sport than most anybody that is paid to discuss it (and the same could be said of some posters here). Simply put, I feel that way because of the inexhaustible research I have devoted to the subject. I have an excel document that contains the records of virtually every principal statistic you can imagine. Where were they ranked in KenPom to finish last season? What percentage of their scoring returns? How many five star sophomores does the roster possess? Four star seniors?

From there, I broke things down into even more fragmented pieces. What is the average PER of a five star sophomore? What is the average PER of a four star freshman? This way, I'm familiar with the specific composition of roster that tends to forecast success in addition to the less covert indicators - who their coach is, what they were the year prior, etc.

In totality, I've spent ten or more hours studying tape on last years UConn team, twenty or more attempting to articulate my observations - and, more importantly, my projections - in a manner that would read as transparently as possible. I adhered to the same process last year, and the year before that. How accurate was I? Semi-accurate, I guess. I anticipated that they would struggle last season more than many - including the national media - let on. To the extent of those struggles, I was purposely unclear on, because I had no earthly idea. But the season did not surprise me. The year before? I had us billed as a top ten team (I think I ranked them seventh preseason), but also put my foot in my mouth by claiming there was no way they could win a national championship.

"All this time and work for something the casual fan may have been able to predict," some might think. Yeah, you're not wrong. I regurgitate my past not to boast my qualifications but to assure you that I try really, really hard not to be a homer.

This year, I have UConn #2 in my preseason poll. In the coming weeks, I will share in excruciating detail the basis for this ranking, and maybe of the three people who read my work, one of them will be one over. For now, though, any poll that renders us outside the top 25 is music to my ears.

Reaction Score
Champs99and04, I hope your accuracy remains!! I think we have a legit shot at a chip but I dont know that i would rank us that high. I'm no where near as detailed as you though. I just watch and give my opinion based on years of watching tons of college and NBA basketball. I'm fine with us being undervalued by the big media folks, but i just wish in the future there was some accountability from these major media outlets. Go back and just say we completely missed this mark, and overlooked and made fun of the fans for suggesting, but they were right and we were wrong. It will never happen, but it would just be nice to see that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't care where Eamonn Brennan thinks. Actually, scratch that. I do care what he thinks. I hope that he is as pessimistic as possible in assessing UConn's prospects for the 2015-16 season. That is why college basketball is the easiest sport to profit off of from a gambling standpoint - you can unveil flagrant market inefficiencies by deploying nothing other than common sense.

Honestly, I get it. Common sense dictates that these Huskies' - following an NIT berth and the loss of their best player - have a lot to prove. And that's true. There are a lot of college basketball teams with a lot to prove, though, and attempting to handicap their odds purely by virtue of that subjective qualification is probably not the best way to go about it.

If I were a college basketball blogger examining the cursory components of every team in the country, I truthfully may not rank this UConn team in the top 50. That's as much a function of how preposterously middle-heavy college basketball is going to be this year (get ready for me to make this point hundreds of times before and during the season) as it is UConn's roster deficiencies, but nonetheless, the optics paint a picture that veers in the direction of modesty, and frankly, that is probably the approach you should take.

I hope that you will choose me to view me as mentally unstable rather than conceited when I say this, but I feel I have a better grasp on the sport than most anybody that is paid to discuss it (and the same could be said of some posters here). Simply put, I feel that way because of the inexhaustible research I have devoted to the subject. I have an excel document that contains the records of virtually every principal statistic you can imagine. Where were they ranked in KenPom to finish last season? What percentage of their scoring returns? How many five star sophomores does the roster possess? Four star seniors?

From there, I broke things down into even more fragmented pieces. What is the average PER of a five star sophomore? What is the average PER of a four star freshman? This way, I'm familiar with the specific composition of roster that tends to forecast success in addition to the less covert indicators - who their coach is, what they were the year prior, etc.

In totality, I've spent ten or more hours studying tape on last years UConn team, twenty or more attempting to articulate my observations - and, more importantly, my projections - in a manner that would read as transparently as possible. I adhered to the same process last year, and the year before that. How accurate was I? Semi-accurate, I guess. I anticipated that they would struggle last season more than many - including the national media - let on. To the extent of those struggles, I was purposely unclear on, because I had no earthly idea. But the season did not surprise me. The year before? I had us billed as a top ten team (I think I ranked them seventh preseason), but also put my foot in my mouth by claiming there was no way they could win a national championship.

"All this time and work for something the casual fan may have been able to predict," some might think. Yeah, you're not wrong. I regurgitate my past not to boast my qualifications but to assure you that I try really, really hard not to be a homer.

This year, I have UConn #2 in my preseason poll. In the coming weeks, I will share in excruciating detail the basis for this ranking, and maybe of the three people who read my work, one of them will be one over. For now, though, any poll that renders us outside the top 25 is music to my ears.
You are thorough and crazy and can be proud of both. I am crazy and lazy and predict #5.

Reaction Score
It is meaningful.

I think this Sport starts with a false positive: Power 5 Basketball is better than others (and the Big East is not far). Then the early season happens and a couple of Intra-conferenceIntra-regional games. It builds. And then March Joe Lunardi crap is a fait accompli.

Let us see what we have on the court. And past history should matter. Like ... if Villanova goes 30-4 two years in a row and fails to beat a 6-11 Seed, I think we need to recalibrate your annual start.

This I believe ... I think Temple, Cincinnati, SMU, Tulsa are better than a whole bunch of P5/BE. And, let's push through the ESPN/Eamonn Brennan bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom