ESPN this week power ranking: UConn #2 | The Boneyard

ESPN this week power ranking: UConn #2

Reaction Score

Team of the Week: UConn

2. UConn Huskies (20-2)
Previous ranking:
This week: at Providence (Wednesday), vs. South Carolina (Sunday)

The Huskies earned our team of the week honor with their three victories, and this week will bring the 2022 national championship rematch to Hartford. It will highlight how deep South Carolina is and how thin UConn is, but this is what the Huskies are used to by now. While Boston is making a good case for repeating as national player of the year, UConn's Aaliyah Edwards (17.5 PPG, 9.5 RPG) at least deserves to be on the short list in that conversation.

Reaction Score
Quite a hero testimonial to Ashley Joens — some of M.A.’s best writing in a while. It’s good to see the Huskies getting some recognition, and a little scary to think just how thin we are. When the national press notices it, the situation becomes more real.

Reaction Score
They are also #2 on Bleacher Report. The reputation of Tenn, the narrative of our "Magnificent 7", and gutting out a win over a tough and ranked 'Nova team is carrying a lot of weight with those who vote. I can't wait to see how we stack up against South Carolina!!!

Reaction Score
This season so far, will go down as one of the greatest Uconn has achieved in it's history and they are not done yet. Can Uconn pull off one of the greatest season's ever played this year? I believe the possibility is there, we just have to grab it. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score

Team of the Week: UConn

2. UConn Huskies (20-2)
Previous ranking:
This week: at Providence (Wednesday), vs. South Carolina (Sunday)

The Huskies earned our team of the week honor with their three victories, and this week will bring the 2022 national championship rematch to Hartford. It will highlight how deep South Carolina is and how thin UConn is, but this is what the Huskies are used to by now. While Boston is making a good case for repeating as national player of the year, UConn's Aaliyah Edwards (17.5 PPG, 9.5 RPG) at least deserves to be on the short list in that conversation.

Boston is a difficult player to defend. To me this will be the real test for Aaliyah as far as her defense is concerned. For UCONN the one team that is a tough match up is South Carolina because of the size and weight of Boston. The UCONN bigs can match up great with Stanford and they can defend the likes of Indiana and LSU but how will they fare against Boston?

I do agree that UCONN has had the most impressive season of all teams thus far.

Reaction Score
Boston is a difficult player to defend. To me this will be the real test for Aaliyah as far as her defense is concerned. For UCONN the one team that is a tough match up is South Carolina because of the size and weight of Boston. The UCONN bigs can match up great with Stanford and they can defend the likes of Indiana and LSU but how will they fare against Boston?

I do agree that UCONN has had the most impressive season of all teams thus far.
I would disagree and say that undefeated trumps all when it comes to “impressiveness” of a season. However, I must admit that UConn’s season is impressive given their SOS.

Of course, we can go round and round, but wait til we both get one more game under our belts.

Reaction Score
I would disagree and say that undefeated trumps all when it comes to “impressiveness” of a season. However, I must admit that UConn’s season is impressive given their SOS.

Of course, we can go round and round, but wait til we both get one more game under our belts.
Going undefeated is certainly the number one criterion but the strength of schedule should mean something too.......I'm not sure where South Carolina stands when it comes to the difficulty of their schedule.............a number of perennially ranked teams play pretty unimpressive schedules and then complain then they don't get ranked as highly as they think they deserve..... I think LSU is in that category this season and historically Baylor was often accused of playing a soft schedule too........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Going undefeated is certainly the number one criterion but the strength of schedule should mean something too.......I'm not sure where South Carolina stands when it comes to the difficulty of their schedule.............a number of perennially ranked teams play pretty unimpressive schedules and then complain then they don't get ranked as highly as they think they deserve..... I think LSU is in that category this season and historically Baylor was often accused of playing a soft schedule too........
Massey sorted by strength of schedule

CF392512-B4C1-4EAF-B001-D2F41E649121.jpeg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sorry @visitingcock. I have to disagree. An undefeated season is huge, but only after the season is over. Trying to invoke one in January is hubris. And all SoS gripes are typically erased by an NC. Early season rankings are best assessed by SoS and RPI Late season assessments make more sense in terms of NET. But finally, it all comes down to who wins it all.

Reaction Score

The impressiveness isn’t about wins but the resilience show by the team in the face of extreme adversity.

Reaction Score
Sorry @visitingcock. I have to disagree. An undefeated season is huge, but only after the season is over. Trying to invoke one in January is hubris. And all SoS gripes are typically erased by an NC. Early season rankings are best assessed by SoS and RPI Late season assessments make more sense in terms of NET. But finally, it all comes down to who wins it all.
While I cannot disagree completely, I cannot agree either. At 20-ish wins it starts to show consistency. While y’all have played more Quad One teams, we have the same number of Quad one wins - not that those games matter that much when two proven winners hit thee hardwood.

Reaction Score
SoS really helping UConn's case for a #1 seed. A good showing against SC (doesnt have to be a win, just a solid game), and if UConn runs the rest of the table, they should get a #1-seed.

Reaction Score
When we talk about teams mid season, we typically are trying to judge what they’ve already done and what they might go on to accomplish. Being undefeated is indicative of the latter, but SoS is key to this. A resilient team is also indicative, depending on what they’re responding to. Neither is a perfect indicator of accomplishments to come. But late in the season, being undefeated is the best indicator.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
This season so far, will go down as one of the greatest Uconn has achieved in it's history and they are not done yet. Can Uconn pull off one of the greatest season's ever played this year? I believe the possibility is there, we just have to grab it. GO HUSKIES!!!!
Agree with your sentiments. My intuition has been ringing the possibility am cautious thinking it. Trying not to think too far ahead, baby steps I keep telling myself. Mind blowing just thinking about it though. Man O man.

Reaction Score
Only in the fevered brain of ESPN pundits is Boston a favorite for player of the year! She is having a solid season no doubt, but her scoring (never overly impressive to begin with) has dropped from 16.8 to 12.9, her rebounding from 12.5 to 9.8. To be fair, she has raised her shooting percentage from 54.2 to 60.5. She obviously remains a very good player and a strong candidate to be the number one draft choice in this year’s WNBA draft but surely even ESPN, which worships Dawn Staley and South Carolina like a French Cathedral, can see she’s behind several players in that race? Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Maddy Seigrist, and probably our own Aaliyah Edwards are all having better years than Boston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom