ESPN Sweet 16 Predictions | The Boneyard

ESPN Sweet 16 Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PvP

Reaction Score
None of the teams in UCONN's bracket scares me and none of the projected Final Four teams do either. We lost to SC when we were without Azzi and were at our weakest by a mere 4 points. We are playing cohesive UCONN March basketball and I honestly can't see any team remaining beating us. A round dozen National Championships is my prediction!

Reaction Score
None of the teams in UCONN's bracket scares me and none of the projected Final Four teams do either. We lost to SC when we were without Azzi and were at our weakest by a mere 4 points. We are playing cohesive UCONN March basketball and I honestly can't see any team remaining beating us. A round dozen National Championships is my prediction!
So you can’t see any team beating you? I feel that UConn and South Carolina are on a collision course for the national championship game. You are improved and healthier than the first of the year. We have improved as well. SC can lose to UConn (assuming neither of us gets upset before then), and UConn can lose to SC.

SC has more pressure IMO due to longevity of the win strak and you know it has to end sooner or later. There’s also the pressure of this being the last time this special group may play together so we may feel that and tighten up. But after having a target on our back all season, and playing a tough schedule, our team appears refreshed and back on a mission so I would not bet against us.

Hope we both get there and then O what a night!

PvP

Reaction Score
Sorry gamecock, but you barely beat us when we were at our weakest. Now we have a team that is gelling at just the right time having added a superstar who makes everyone around her better by the threat she poses. And you have basically the same team that squeaked by us.

Except for a freak accident, we would also have had Paige Buckets and then even you would have to admit it would have been nothing short of a blowout.

You might not even beat Iowa much less the hell-bent Huskies. Enjoy your streak while you can...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn and SC play for the National Championship, UConn will prevail. Yes SC has improved, but hasn't played a team like UConn this season. UConn is a completely different team with the additions of Azzi and Caroline. SC does not have the numbers this time and will not be able to stop the three point shooters. @Tngamecock SC got away with the mugging of Lou, they won't be able to do that against Azzi, Caroline and Lou without getting called on them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LSU, Iowa, Maryland, UConn, and SC are unanimous choices.

Nova 3-2 over Miami.

Tenn 3-2 over Va Tech.

L'ville 4-1 over Ole Miss.

Reaction Score
I root for Uconn, but not blindly by any means, and these “Uconn can’t be beat” and “if we only had Bueckers” posts have reached the point of absurdity to me. Uconn can be beat and Bueckers isn’t playing. Further, the fact is, Uconn could not stay within double digits of SC with Bueckers on the court twice last year. The fact is in the 2 games Bueckers averaged 16.5 PPG, shot 14-32 44%, 2-6 from 3 33%, with 9 assists and 5 TOs. Not bad numbers at all but not nearly numbers to objectively support how her presence would now flip those results around to Uconn winning by “nothing short of a blowout.”
To add to that analysis, the one big difference in the 2 games Uconn has been truly competitive with SC in the last 3 years, a close OT win in 20-21, in which Bueckers had a truly terrific game, and the close loss this year, was major minutes in both for Muhl. This years game also saw Uconn score 77 points, the most given up by SC this year and pretty much dwarfing the 57 and 49 scored in the two games last year.

Reaction Score
Sorry gamecock, but you barely beat us when we were at our weakest. Now we have a team that is gelling at just the right time having added a superstar who makes everyone around her better by the threat she poses. And you have basically the same team that squeaked by us.

Except for a freak accident, we would also have had Paige Buckets and then even you would have to admit it would have been nothing short of a blowout.

You might not even beat Iowa much less the hell-bent Huskies. Enjoy your streak while you can...
Lol….like George Costanza said….”it’s not a lie if you believe it.”

You realize you had Paige last year…..we are better this year.

But it should be a great game nonetheless. Good luck until we meet again.

Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn and SC play for the National Championship, UConn will prevail. Yes SC has improved, but hasn't played a team like UConn this season. UConn is a completely different team with the additions of Azzi and Caroline. SC does not have the numbers this time and will not be able to stop the three point shooters. @Tngamecock SC got away with the mugging of Lou, they won't be able to do that against Azzi, Caroline and Lou without getting called on them.
Yep….some people got mugged in that game….their names were Boston and Cardoso.

Reaction Score
I root for Uconn, but not blindly by any means, and these “Uconn can’t be beat” and “if we only had Bueckers” posts have reached the point of absurdity to me. Uconn can be beat and Bueckers isn’t playing. Further, the fact is, Uconn could not stay within double digits of SC with Bueckers on the court twice last year. The fact is in the 2 games Bueckers averaged 16.5 PPG, shot 14-32 44%, 2-6 from 3 33%, with 9 assists and 5 TOs. Not bad numbers at all but not nearly numbers to objectively support how her presence would now flip those results around to Uconn winning by “nothing short of a blowout.”
To add to that analysis, the one big difference in the 2 games Uconn has been truly competitive with SC in the last 3 years, a close OT win in 20-21, in which Bueckers had a truly terrific game, and the close loss this year, was major minutes in both for Muhl. This years game also saw Uconn score 77 points, the most given up by SC this year and pretty much dwarfing the 57 and 49 scored in the two games last year.
I don't disagree with your premise that UCONN can be beat. But I will say that this UCONN team in my opinion is way better than last years UCONN team. For one thing Liv had no chance defending Boston and had no chance on offense against her. Last year UCONN had Paige who was reliable in the clutch but CW and Evina were not good shooters, at least not on the level of Lou or Caroline.

But if both teams make it to the final each team will have a way to win the game. The line on the game will be super close and UCONN will definitely be the underdog so they won't be coming in with the big head. The thing is one of them could be gone before they ever at the end.

Reaction Score
Yep….some people got mugged in that game….their names were Boston and Cardoso.
I am a huge fan of Lou but there is a huge difference between being soft and being mugged. She is not a physical player at all. Example. Last game she gets hit in the nose and quits while the player she is suppose to be guarding hits a 3. Azzi and Paige are played way more physical than Lou but they fight thru it and don't let it get to them.

Boston fouls every time down the floor sometimes 3 or 4 times per possession but she also gets fouled 3-4 times each time down the floor. So as an official you either have to let both sides beat each other up or you foul out the two players the fans came to watch. SC beat UCONN because they were a better team not because of fouls. With Azzi healthy and Caroline healthy I think UCONN is at least equal now so it should be a great match up if it happens.

Reaction Score

Yes UConn had Paige but she was nowhere near 100%

Reaction Score
For now, the record books show that in 2021, Uconn beat South Carolina in the regular season, but both lost in the Final 4. Stanford was the best team that year.

In 2022, Uconn lost to South Carolina in the regular season and the National Championship game. South Carolina was the best team that year.

In 2023, South Carolina beat Uconn in the regular season, and the rest is TBD. Should they meet and South Carolina wins, everyone will remember South Carolina being the best and undefeated team. Should Uconn win, many may reflect back and wonder if Uconn was the best team all along, just lurking in the shadows due to mid season injuries.

The what ifs are always endless, but when the dust settles, it’s all about who wins the game, regardless of injuries.

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Lou but there is a huge difference between being soft and being mugged. She is not a physical player at all. Example. Last game she gets hit in the nose and quits while the player she is suppose to be guarding hits a 3. Azzi and Paige are played way more physical than Lou but they fight thru it and don't let it get to them.

Boston fouls every time down the floor sometimes 3 or 4 times per possession but she also gets fouled 3-4 times each time down the floor. So as an official you either have to let both sides beat each other up or you foul out the two players the fans came to watch. SC beat UCONN because they were a better team not because of fouls. With Azzi healthy and Caroline healthy I think UCONN is at least equal now so it should be a great match up if it happens.
Good post! You nailed it. It’s like holding in football…we notice when our defenders get held, but we miss it when our Oline holds the other team. UConn and Stanford were the only two that concerned me…now it’s only UConn. Everyone knows how good you can be. Dawn consistently uses the level UConn set for WBB as a bar to strive for. UT and UConn set the standard.

I don’t see any team other than possibly UConn ending our season. Doesn’t mean we can’t lose to UCLA on Saturday, but I watched our game from early this season again because I couldn’t remember it. I would be shocked if they beat us.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your premise that UCONN can be beat. But I will say that this UCONN team in my opinion is way better than last years UCONN team. For one thing Liv had no chance defending Boston and had no chance on offense against her. Last year UCONN had Paige who was reliable in the clutch but CW and Evina were not good shooters, at least not on the level of Lou or Caroline.

But if both teams make it to the final each team will have a way to win the game. The line on the game will be super close and UCONN will definitely be the underdog so they won't be coming in with the big head. The thing is one of them could be gone before they ever at the end.
I am not remotely commenting on what would happen if Uconn and SC meet in the championship game this year or whether this years Uconn team is better than last years. The final chapter for this years team is still to be written. I do agree either SC or Uconn or both could lose before the NC game. My comments you replied to were solely related to the premises that Uconn was an unbeatable team and that they would blow out SC if Bueckers was available. There is no objective support for either position.

Reaction Score
UCONN hasn't had a complete fully loaded team since last beating South Carolina. I would have liked to seen the championship game last season played with the healthy Dorka, Azzi and Aubrey. It Doesn't mean we would have won, but I just would like to have seen what it look like. Two 6'5 post players who give us more wiggle room to play aggressive.

Reaction Score
Let the SC homers come here and puff their feathers. It’s fine. The last few years, they’ve found the biggest baddest kid on the playground in UConn, and stayed in the ring with them. However, that time is coming to an end. Watch the “likes” for this post, too. It will be full of SC fans with laughter emojis because they are trying to convince themselves it’s not true.

As I’ve said before, they are Notre Dame of the early 2010s. Once this class is gone, they’ll come back to earth. LSU will dominate that conference in another year once Mulkey gets more recruiting classes. Until then, we just have to wade in this tide. Yes, SC won last year. Yes, they beat UConn in the regular season. We know. We believe UConn will win in a rematch.

Reaction Score

We had Paige last year like we have Azzi this year. Coming back from an injury after having the vast majority of the middle of the season off. If memory serves me correctly Paige was also playing through pain.....
You believe your team is better this year, but so is UCONN. If I were a gamecock fan I would not overlook Iowa.

Reaction Score
UCONN hasn't had a complete fully loaded team since last beating South Carolina. I would have liked to seen the championship game last season played with the healthy Dorka, Azzi and Aubrey. It Doesn't mean we would have won, but I just would like to have seen what it look like. Two 6'5 post players who give us more wiggle room to play aggressive.
You play with who you have. Uconn was good enough to beat Stanford, Indiana and NC State without Dorka or Griffin but then they lose and out come the excuses and rationalizations. You can take solace in that if it makes you feel better, the fact is Uconn had the players to win the NC and just were not tough enough mentally or physically to stand up to SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom