ESPN story on Harry Perretta's retirement (w/ several Geno mentions) | The Boneyard

ESPN story on Harry Perretta's retirement (w/ several Geno mentions)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A lot of fun anecdotes and insight into Harry's eccentric personality.

Thank you Plebe for that great article. One of my favorite things Uconn Huskies was watching the matchups between Geno and Harry. We knew that they were the best of friends but tell me, when you play who do you want to beat - someone who you don't really know or your best friend. The unfortunate part of this is that we move back into the Big East next season and that rivalry won't be there.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thank you Plebe for that great article. One of my favorite things Uconn Huskies was watching the matchups between Geno and Harry. We knew that they were the best of friends but tell me, when you play who do you want to beat - someone who you don't really know or your best friend. The unfortunate part of this is that we move back into the Big East next season and that rivalry won't be there.
Unfortunate yes, but IMHO it's also an opportunity. Harry's best years as a coach were well behind him. Villanova's men's program has been extremely successful under Jay Wright, and this hire to replace Harry will be Nova's chance to demonstrate a commensurate commitment to their women's program. Hopefully, having UConn rejoin the conference will help make this vacancy more attractive for someone good.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
From the article:

"In 2002, legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt called Perretta to ask for help in learning his motion offense. At first, Perretta thought someone was playing a joke on him. He asked a few people to listen to the message to make sure it was actually Pat Summitt."

"Her whole staff came up for a couple of days to learn the offense," said longtime Villanova associate head coach Joe Mullaney, "and he actually became pretty good friends with her."

which led to the moment that will live in infamy.....

triangle4.jpg

Plebe

Reaction Score
From the article:

"In 2002, legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt called Perretta to ask for help in learning his motion offense. At first, Perretta thought someone was playing a joke on him. He asked a few people to listen to the message to make sure it was actually Pat Summitt."

"Her whole staff came up for a couple of days to learn the offense," said longtime Villanova associate head coach Joe Mullaney, "and he actually became pretty good friends with her."

View attachment 51665
This always cracks me up. The hottub quip is the first thing I think of whenever Perretta’s name comes up. And I still shake my head: What on earth was Harry thinking? It was Pat’s version of a honey trap.

Reaction Score
From the article:

View attachment 51665
Thanks Biff, this always brings a smile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom