ESPN spreadsheet on public university athletic revenues/expenses | The Boneyard

ESPN spreadsheet on public university athletic revenues/expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
#10 in licensing fees...UConn.

Ahead of such luminaries as UCLA, Florida, Kentucky, Oregon, and Michigan State.

Funny, how we all know exactly which column to look at.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Licensing fees are probably the best single indicator on that list of value a program brings to a conference.

Reaction Score
Licensing fees are probably the best single indicator on that list of value a program brings to a conference.

I would probably agree with that if it were standardized, but because there's so much inconsistency in how royalties and fees are reported, it's a little difficult to put too much value in those numbers. But to your point, the marketing & licensing, as well as media rights, do correlate better than anything when it comes to conference valuations.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would probably agree with that if it were standardized, but because there's so much inconsistency in how royalties and fees are reported, it's a little difficult to put too much value in those numbers. But to your point, the marketing & licensing, as well as media rights, do correlate better than anything when it comes to conference valuations.
Media rights is governed by conference affiliation so I think it isn't the best indicator, except for tier three rights if standardized by using a per game average.

Reaction Score
Media rights is governed by conference affiliation so I think it isn't the best indicator, except for tier three rights if standardized by using a per game average.

Well, yes and no. Like you said, some schools retain third tier TV rights. Furthermore, radio and some marketing rights are reported as 'media rights' too, at least in some cases. My bigger point though is that some schools report media rights in conference payouts, but some don't. Some report licensing and media rights together (because they're a package), some don't. When I said media rights, I was specifically referring to third tier TV and radio rights, but ultimately the issue I find is the inconsistency with how schools report the categories.

I do agree with you on the importance of licensing & rights fees when judging the strength of a brand (and ultimately how valuable that brand would be to a conference), but I just think there's a lot of inconsistency with the reporting so it's hard to pay attention too closely to the specific numbers for that reason.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, yes and no. Like you said, some schools retain third tier TV rights. Furthermore, radio and some marketing rights are reported as 'media rights' too, at least in some cases. My bigger point though is that some schools report media rights in conference payouts, but some don't. Some report licensing and media rights together (because they're a package), some don't. When I said media rights, I was specifically referring to third tier TV and radio rights, but ultimately the issue I find is the inconsistency with how schools report the categories.

I do agree with you on the importance of licensing & rights fees when judging the strength of a brand (and ultimately how valuable that brand would be to a conference), but I just think there's a lot of inconsistency with the reporting so it's hard to pay attention too closely to the specific numbers for that reason.
I agree and feel the same way about revenue numbers in general. There is too much variation in the way information is reported. It would be great to standardized format that breaks everything out in a consistent basis, sort of like a GAAP for athletic departments.

Reaction Score
I agree and feel the same way about revenue numbers in general. There is too much variation in the way information is reported. It would be great to standardized format that breaks everything out in a consistent basis, sort of like a GAAP for athletic departments.

And it would be very easy to implement since the EADA disclosures already have *some* distinction for overall revenue numbers and their sources (sadly, although the schools themselves report those numbers, they are not broken down on the data disclosure end by the OPE).

It would be great if they applied those standards all the way down to reporting of sport-specific revenues too, but I suppose now I'm being greedy (ha ha).

Reaction Score
"Upstater." I know you have a bunch of reasons for this being so much B.S.; especially as it relates to the "expense" side. Have you given up?:rolleyes::D

Kyle lamb covered it well. Not sure what you mean otherwise.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a link that works? It may be because I'm on an ipad but I can't view it...

Reaction Score
really?

Other then us internet schmoozers who provide scenarios, do you have a reliable link describing just how?

Love to see the down and dirty from a more reliable source then my surmisings.

Reaction Score
really?

Other then us internet schmoozers who provide scenarios, do you have a reliable link describing just how?

Love to see the down and dirty from a more reliable source then my surmisings.
I guess you haven't read all of the multiple posts on FSU, including news articles on how FSU lead the charge with BC to keep UConn out and take the Ville instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom