ESPN Speculation on Who Might Replace Geno and Others... | The Boneyard

ESPN Speculation on Who Might Replace Geno and Others...

Reaction Score
They really have nothing to write about. Graham Hayes speculates on one insider and one outsider "candidate" to replace each of several long-time successful WCBB coaches when they retire. For UConn it's Shea and Megan Duffy (#$%^&???). Carla Barube is his outsider for Stanford. Marisa Moseley is his outsider for Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Slow news cycle in the world of college sports. Not much positive to report.

Who ever does replace Geno is going to be under tremendous pressure if they were not already a head coach at a post season program.

Another angle is the generational gap. Kids and their electronic media get more advanced by the minute. I remember when Jay Leno stepped down from The Tonight show, part of the reasoning for replacing with Jimmy Fallon was he was younger and more in tune with social media.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think a pretty annoying analysis why Berube would not consider the UConn job. Implication is she does not have the guts to go after UConn if it opens up??

Carla Berube, Princeton head coach will of course, be a subject of conversation when her former coach eventually steps aside at UConn. But it's difficult to imagine that someone who was content enough at Division III Tufts to build a mini-dynasty and picked the Ivy League for her move to Division I will want any part of that particular spotlight. Succeeding VanDerveer is no less daunting, but Berube could take it on with the freedom of an outsider from the other side of the country. With a 542-105 record as a college player or head coach, mostly at elite academic schools, she would be a natural fit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow! Writers really must be at a loss regarding what to write about if they have to go this direction.

Why? :confused:

Is the succession of coaches not something that is on the minds of true fans. Clearly it was instiigated by MM but it is something of interest to many. The fact that I do not care for alot of his opinions is beside the point.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No team gets a becky Hammond mention?

I’ll take those odds.

Reaction Score
How many former players are out coaching at other schools now?

Berube at Princeton
Valley at Hartford
Sales at UCF
Crockett at ???
Sauer at ???
Hansmeyer was at one time at Oklahoma
Wlliams at ???

Reaction Score
If Shea continues to be an assistant coach on the team and doesn’t replace Geno when he retires the program will go down hill.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well now it’s absolutely clear from this absurdly speculative article, that the folks at ESPN scour the Boneyard regularly in search of ideas. Where else but on the BY would you contemplate who might succeed Geno once he decides to hang up his coaching whistle?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rumor MJ will come to UConn when Geno retires ..... :)
Wow, that would be weird.

FF0A6AC3-FF09-4EBA-A5CF-2A5D410726AB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Duffy. I like the idea of an ND alum replacing Geno. Seems like ESPN knows what its doing. Can't wait for the Niele/Megan battles. Might not be as much fun as Geno/Muffet.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think a pretty annoying analysis why Berube would not consider the UConn job. Implication is she does not have the guts to go after UConn if it opens up??

Carla Berube, Princeton head coach will of course, be a subject of conversation when her former coach eventually steps aside at UConn. But it's difficult to imagine that someone who was content enough at Division III Tufts to build a mini-dynasty and picked the Ivy League for her move to Division I will want any part of that particular spotlight. Succeeding VanDerveer is no less daunting, but Berube could take it on with the freedom of an outsider from the other side of the country. With a 542-105 record as a college player or head coach, mostly at elite academic schools, she would be a natural fit.
I don't think that is his point. Much of what I have read regarding her success over the years (most of it through the Boneyard) suggested that she was a "family" person and indeed, as said, content enough without the time pressures of a big time program. Think Borseth at Michigan - he went back to Green Bay not because he was a failure, but because he did not enjoy losing his personal time / life to his job.

While I'm not saying she is going to stay in the Ivies, or would not succeed at Stanford, I do think it unlikely that they would look at an east coast based coach.

Reaction Score
Where else but on the BY would you contemplate who might succeed Geno once he decides to hang up his coaching whistle?
Was Megan Duffy the consensus "outsider" pick if Shea Ralph (the insider) doesn't get the job? I missed that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was Megan Duffy the consensus "outsider" pick if Shea Ralph (the insider) doesn't get the job? I missed that.
There are literally a boatload of UConn insiders, and Geno will have an extremely important say in who replaces him. I cannot imagine any circumstance where Duffy or any other outsider would even be considered.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There are literally a boatload of UConn insiders, and Geno will have an extremely important say in who replaces him. I cannot imagine any circumstance where Duffy or any other outsider would even be considered.

I don’t know if any one of them has proven to be worthy of it. Although Ivey sets an interesting precedent.

But UConn is a one coach legacy program now. One wrong hire and it could be hard to get back.

Reaction Score
After JC picking KO, I’m not sure UConn wants to be in that position again.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun ....Men's coach ...Kevin Ollie ...former player ...his replacement

Reaction Score
I am actually surprised that nobody mentioned Jen Rizzotti..

This might seem far fetched but I think Dee could be a very good coach if she wanted to. Dee would bring every top player to Uconn on her name alone. Hell she is probably doing that now...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom