ESPN serves up more puke | The Boneyard

ESPN serves up more puke

Reaction Score
If there are two things I hate (there are a lot more, trust me) it's the way ESPN kisses Duke's rear end at every opportunity (even when calling them disappointments) and the asinine narrative that our '99 NC win was some massive upset.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If there are two things I hate (there are a lot more, trust me) it's the way ESPN kisses Duke's rear end at every opportunity (even when calling them disappointments) and the asinine narrative that our '99 NC win was some massive upset.

What is an upset is in the eyes of the beholder, but in the eyes of bookies our ‘99 championship remains the largest beating of the spread (which of course was against us) in championship history.

I never thought Duke was better, I was well aware it was only injuries that kept us from a perfect record. I am sure most UConn fans at the time felt the same, but ESPN was not alone in thinking we had just “shocked the world.”

Reaction Score

They failed to mention Khalid was hurt in the 2000 Tennessee game . I watched in Nashville Airport . With a healthy Khalid it’s an easy win. Every time he went back in even limping we got back in it.

Reaction Score
It’s funny I saw this article and my first thought was that someone on this board is going to find some reason to bitch and moan about it even though some programs we hate are treated far more harshly. I mean I don’t know how you read this article as kissing Duke’s rear end unless you ignore about half of it. Never underestimate a Boneyarder’s victim complex.

Incidentally, the spread says we WERE a pretty big underdog in ‘99. I don’t know how you blame ESPN for that.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think our 2011-2012 team was a bigger disappointment than 1999-2000.
2005-2006 was the worst. Loaded with players focused on their NBA futures instead of the NCAA season. Did Rudy Gay ever dive for a ball in his time at UConn? Then there was Rashad Anderson (who I liked and was an important part of the 2004 title) running his mouth in the locker room about how all of them would be in the NBA next year. Didn't quite work out like he thought.

Reaction Score
It’s funny I saw this article and my first thought was that someone on this board is going to find some reason to bitch and moan about it even though some programs we hate are treated far more harshly. I mean I don’t know how you read this article as kissing Duke’s rear end unless you ignore about half of it. Never underestimate a Boneyarder’s victim complex.

Incidentally, the spread says we WERE a pretty big underdog in ‘99. I don’t know how you blame ESPN for that.
Do you enjoy being a wet blanket, or can you just not help yourself?

The fact that half the list is Duke teams says - to me, anyway - that ESPN thinks so highly of them that anytime Duke falters at all, it’s one of the great disappointments of the last quarter century. Just my take.

Reaction Score
How many 4 and 5 stars on their roster this year? As long as they’re able to recruit at the level they‘ve been at they will be in the mix every year and media darlings. It would take some lousy coaching not to be great with those players but should it happen for a couple years they could head downward.

Reaction Score
Shocked 2005/06 wasn't on that list. Should have been a title contender, go out to a lower seed in the e8 with all that talent was far more disappointing than the second round exit to Tenn with a hobbled Khalid and, btw, rip had left for the nba after 99 champ season so, all things considered 2000 wasn't as disappointing as 06 e8 loss.

Reaction Score
What is an upset is in the eyes of the beholder, but in the eyes of bookies our ‘99 championship remains the largest beating of the spread (which of course was against us) in championship history.

I never thought Duke was better, I was well aware it was only injuries that kept us from a perfect record. I am sure most UConn fans at the time felt the same, but ESPN was not alone in thinking we had just “shocked the world.”
The most confident I have ever been. Maybe I was a fool, but I knew we had one more good guard then them and I was confident Jake and Kevin could lock up anyone in college.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
1999 was a big upset. Maybe it shouldn't have been viewed that way, but it was. People who weren't watching at the time don't understand -- that made it better.

Reaction Score

They did slap us with a dud too, but it was the wrong one, and I’ll bet overlooking the right one was no mistake. Losing to George Mason has to be in the top 5 in this list, but it was no where. ESPN hates us, always have, they’ll diss us outright or in a backhanded way by not even mentioning the 06 team.

Reaction Score

I dont mind the underdog stuff as it is what it is. My issue was and will always be how in the world anyone thought that that Puke team was 10 points better than that Uconn team. I thought it was insane then and still do. I mean think about it this past season we had a team that went into the national title game absolutely crushing opponents at a level not seen in many years and they faced a good not great team in the title game and were only 7.5 favorites.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I dont mind the underdog stuff as it is what it is. My issue was and will always be how in the world anyone thought that that Puke team was 10 points better than that Uconn team. I thought it was insane then and still do. I mean think about it this past season we had a team that went into the national title game absolutely crushing opponents at a level not seen in many years and they faced a good not great team in the title game and were only 7.5 favorites.
talk about first world problems. are you really bothered by this?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I will say there were a lot of analysts who picked us to win this year. We seemed like the popular “underdog” choice.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
How many 4 and 5 stars on their roster this year? As long as they’re able to recruit at the level they‘ve been at they will be in the mix every year and media darlings. It would take some lousy coaching not to be great with those players but should it happen for a couple years they could head downward.
Media darlings is very apt term to describe poor (and lazy) journalism by the media and particularly ESPN. Look at things on the superficial surface level (say 5 star recruits) and jumping on the hype bandwagon. Create a narrative and beat it to death (bluebloods) with talking heads including loud talking and "consensus." They are selling advertising for a corporation.

If Uconn can hold onto the formula for winning they have developed they will also "change the world" of media reporting by making them look more and more ridiculous. Especially from the standpoint that they will have to eat more and more crow as their winning will demonstrate. The more arrogant reporters are the more irrational they become. They are not the story. It's about the kids, coaching, fans and winning. That is what Uconn is selling. The truth does not lie. College Basketball Capital of the World.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That 99-00 team started the year with a bad loss. It was going to go as far as KEA could take them and when he got hurt it was over.

Reaction Score

And the analytics (KenPom) are even more wild.

There were a lot of good reasons to think Duke was going to win going away. There was also a lot of evidence that UConn would fare well against them. History validated the latter as the reality. But that Duke team was exception. UConn was just better.

Reaction Score
Do you enjoy being a wet blanket, or can you just not help yourself?

The fact that half the list is Duke teams says - to me, anyway - that ESPN thinks so highly of them that anytime Duke falters at all, it’s one of the great disappointments of the last quarter century. Just my take.
ESPN didn't rate them that highly: other coaches and media personality did.

The teams on the list for Duke are:

• a 1-loss 1-seed that was a 9.5 point favorite
  • a 2-seed led by NBA star Jayson Tatum that lost in the second round
  • 1-seed defending champion that ended the regular season with 3 losses and didn't make the E-8
  • a 3-loss 1-seed with the ACC's highest scorer (at the time) that failed to make the E8 (I'd say the UConn team was a bigger disappointment that year, but whatever)

Duke and Kentucky (along with Kansas) have had almost all the top recruits among them for a while, and many times they've had unbelievable regular seasons and hype. No surprise they appear the most.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
IF Duke won in 1999 that squad would consistently rank amongst the all-time great teams. A one loss power house with a bunch of NBA dudes. I’m happy we don’t have to read THAT puke. I was 11 at the time and not worried because (as Geno would later kind of say) “We had Rip and they didn’t.”

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It was a massive upset. Not per media, per Vegas. Vegas is not in this business of narratives, they are in the business of money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom