ESPN Rumor Mill: ACC may not expand in near future | The Boneyard

ESPN Rumor Mill: ACC may not expand in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors/_/date/20121121#13800

"I haven't had anybody who's on the inside with the ACC, from the conference offices to the athletic directors, tell me they're definitely going to (add a team) or that (Connecticut and Louisville) are the two schools they would look at if they did," a source told Adam Himmelsbach of the Courier-Journal.

I don't have ESPN Insider so I don't know if there's more, but it certainly doesn't sound promising, per se. Though it's not the worst news, either.

Reaction Score
Whelp, back to the ledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You could interpret that post to mean he hasn't spoken with anyone at all.

Reaction Score
Yeah the article is ridiculous....this is another part of it:

"The source also mentioned that the conference may be looking at alternative programs. South Florida fits quite well in the league's footprint and is believed to be one of the options that could eventually be considered. "

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BTW, I think the sports media has learned something from the national media. Make an event seem like a tossup, even if it isn't, because then both sides will keep tuning in and providing web traffic.

Reaction Score
there's another post in there from Andrew Jones from FoxSportsCarolinas.com that thinks it's a no brainer that the league should take Louisville and one of the things mentioned is Louisvilles "improving" academics.

Um, how are they improving? Could they get worse then they currently are? Is there something very real happening down there that makes them showing promise academically? Seems like they're just buying whatever comes out of the mouths of the UL prez and AD and Pitino

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
there's another post in there from Andrew Jones from FoxSportsCarolinas.com that thinks it's a no brainer that the league should take Louisville and one of the things mentioned is Louisvilles "improving" academics.

Um, how are they improving? Could they get worse then they currently are? Is there something very real happening down there that makes them showing promise academically? Seems like they're just buying whatever comes out of the mouths of the UL prez and AD and Pitino

When you start seeing credible media outlets stating that they think Louisville "will" be the ACC's choice, then you should start worrying. ESPN is completely noncommittal.

This clown is just trying to drive web traffic with what he "wants" to happen. He doesn't have to take any responsibility for it if he is wrong.

Reaction Score
People need to medicate or something. The quote in the original post is a long winded no comment, and it's somehow viewed as a negative statement.

Yes, he can't get anyone in the ACC to say anything because they are not going to say anything until they have an announcement to make.

Reaction Score

Yeah he also says as part of his case that L'ville doesnt have any other competition in the city. Well, Uconn doesnt have any other competition in the STATE! He menions they have cutting edge facilities. Uconn has the new footbal facility and are building a brand new basketball one. And then he says they have "improving" academics. Improving from the worst academics of BCS schools to the second worst??? Uconn doesn't have that issue. And he conveniently leaves out the television market arguement.

Reaction Score
Posted in "Rumor Central" (Rumor Central represents regular tips and analysis from ESPN sources plus numerous credible external sources from every form of media. We will speculate intelligently and consider future possibilities on open-ended topics. If something looks speculative, it was intended to be.)

Helpful if the spell Atlantic correctly first...

Will the ACC expand?

1:25PM ET
Atlantatic Coast Conference

Once Maryland made the decision to leave the ACC and move to the Big Ten Conference, the assumption was the ACC would try to quickly fill the void left by the Terrapins. Louisville and Connecticut are believed to be the obvious candidates to join the league. But the ACC may not expand in the near future.

"I haven't had anybody who's on the inside with the ACC, from the conference offices to the athletic directors, tell me they're definitely going to (add a team) or that (Connecticut and Louisville) are the two schools they would look at if they did," a source told Adam Himmelsbach of the Courier-Journal.

It's possible the ACC stays at 13 teams until it feels the right opportunity presents itself to add another program. Notre Dame could serve as its de facto 14th member even if its only a part time membership.

The source also mentioned that the conference may be looking at alternative programs. South Florida fits quite well in the league's footprint and is believed to be one of the options that could eventually be considered.
- Brent Sobleski

Courier Journal also printed this today... http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...r-conferences?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Reaction Score
Yeah he also says as part of his case that L'ville doesnt have any other competition in the city. Well, Uconn doesnt have any other competition in the STATE! He menions they have cutting edge facilities. Uconn has the new footbal facility and are building a brand new basketball one. And then he says they have "improving" academics. Improving from the worst academics of BCS schools to the second worst??? Uconn doesn't have that issue. And he conveniently leaves out the television market arguement.

It is a complete joke we are even being compared to UL. UL people are all over the media pumping up their value. Let's look at it from a college president's perspective:

1. UCONN Academics vs. UL. Is it even a debate? UCONN fits right into the ACC while UL would be the worst school by far. They are also a city school while ACC is full of flagship state schools and private universities.
2. UL does not border the Atlantic ocean. CT does.
3. Basketball - We are the better basketball program. They do have YUM center.
4. We will fit right in with BCU, Cuse and Pitt. UL has limited history with those teams.
5. Our FB record against each other is 4-3 in favorite of UL. Not exactly domination by any stretch. I have no idea how people all suddenly think they are a great FB program.
6. TV Markets - Not even close. We got #30 TV market and 1/18 of NYC TV market. We got the whole state while they got Louisville. They also play second fiddle to Kentucky.

We are a perfect fit for the ACC. Our school was one of the final candidates during the last expansion before BCU blocked us. UL was not even mentioned. While I would love to go to the B1G, we can settle for the ACC if it is still floating. I suspect there will be a ton of moving pieces soon. UL and UCONN might both end up in the ACC because they got no choice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So ESPN is saying Florida State is unhappy with UConn, but they would be OK with another Florida schools that happens to be terrible in football but has beaten Florida State in the not too distant past.

Keep working those page views ESPN.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When I read it I saw blah blah blah and blah

Just more stuff thrown out for the masses. Just ignore it

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Posted in "Rumor Central" (Rumor Central represents regular tips and analysis from ESPN sources plus numerous credible external sources from every form of media. We will speculate intelligently and consider future possibilities on open-ended topics. If something looks speculative, it was intended to be.)

Helpful if the spell Atlantic correctly first...

Will the ACC expand?

1:25PM ET
Atlantatic Coast Conference

Once Maryland made the decision to leave the ACC and move to the Big Ten Conference, the assumption was the ACC would try to quickly fill the void left by the Terrapins. Louisville and Connecticut are believed to be the obvious candidates to join the league. But the ACC may not expand in the near future.

It's possible the ACC stays at 13 teams until it feels the right opportunity presents itself to add another program. Notre Dame could serve as its de facto 14th member even if its only a part time membership.

The source also mentioned that the conference may be looking at alternative programs. South Florida fits quite well in the league's footprint and is believed to be one of the options that could eventually be considered.
- Brent Sobleski

Courier Journal also printed this today... http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...r-conferences?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

There is just no reason to read any 'news' right now. Whether the ACC is going to expand or not you are going to get these kinds of stories because: 1)maybe they really aren't expanding, or 2)it is impossible to negotiate with an incoming school if they think they need you. So what do you do? You stay silent, you don't answer questions, you add to the number of parties you are considering (South Florida, really?) and when you make your decision you contact that school.

The fact that you are consistently hearing ONLY pro-L'Ville sentiment tells you there are negotiations ongoing, and they aren't with L'Ville.

Reaction Score
[quote="WestCoastHusky, post: 402311, member: 566"
[/quote]

Define "Atlantic Ocean." Define "border."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
[quote="WestCoastHusky, post: 402311, member: 566"

Define "Atlantic Ocean." Define "border."[/quote]

I agree on this since Pittsburgh and Syracuse are pretty freaking far from the coast as well yet they are joining next year. I don't think the fact that their state isn't on the Atlantic Coast is going to be an issue.

Reaction Score
Define "Atlantic Ocean." Define "border."

I agree on this since Pittsburgh and Syracuse are pretty freaking far from the coast as well yet they are joining next year. I don't think the fact that their state isn't on the Atlantic Coast is going to be an issue.[/quote]

More basic. Connecticut does not border the Atlantic Ocean. Whether that is relevant or not (not).

Reaction Score
looking through rose glasses:
maybe the delay is that the ACC and Big10 are both vying for Uconn and it's Uconn that is causing the delay...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
More basic. Connecticut does not border the Atlantic Ocean. Whether that is relevant or not (not).

All this is absolutely correct and location to the Atlantic Coast means nothing. For some dumb reason the B1G is the only conference that follows a geography guide....everyone else has just said F#$k it and taken teams from anywhere and everywhere!

Reaction Score
To make things easier on everybody here is exactly what is going to happen.

We will either be in the B1G or the ACC or a new ACC/NBE hybred. I will take any and all bets on this.

We will not be in the NNNNBE when all is said and done.

I am going to have a great Thanksgiving knowing for an absolute fact we will be much better off than we are now. I wish you all the same piece of mind.

P.S. I hope and pray we get to play BCU every year so we can woop their sorry ACC asses. Throw in Rutgers on the schedule and football will be great again.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
All this is absolutely correct and location to the Atlantic Coast means nothing. For some dumb reason the B1G is the only conference that follows a geography guide....everyone else has just said F#$k it and taken teams from anywhere and everywhere!

All of that isn't absolutely correct. Long Island Sound is a part of the Atlantic Ocean.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
looking through rose glasses:
maybe the delay is that the ACC and Big10 are both vying for Uconn and it's Uconn that is causing the delay...

I think the delay is more likely Swofford trying to figure out the actual intentions of his existing members and ESPN's take on things...Unless he wants LSVL (which he doesn't unless they're prepared to go to 16), there's no rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom