ESPN re-ranks the top 25 players in WCBB | The Boneyard

ESPN re-ranks the top 25 players in WCBB

Reaction Score
Lots to agree with.... and to disagree with... Oregon is loaded, as we know..... No way would I rank Christyn above Crystal, especially after their performances in recent big games...
Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Lots to agree with.... and to disagree with... Oregon is loaded, as we know..... No way would I rank Christyn above Crystal, especially after their performances in recent big games...
Enjoy!
And ranking both of them higher than Tyasha Harris (16) and NaLyssa Smith (22)? And what has Walker done to be at #8?

Reaction Score
And ranking both of them higher than Tyasha Harris (16) and NaLyssa Smith (22)? And what has Walker done to be at #8?
Score and rebound.

Earlier this season, UConn fans were anointing Walker as a top-5 WNBA pick as an early entry in April. After three disappointing losses, Walker's perceived value is marginalized and her flaws are widely pointed out on this board. We certainly do live in a "what have you done for us lately" world.

Reaction Score
Score and rebound.

Earlier this season, UConn fans were anointing Walker as a top-5 WNBA pick as an early entry in April. After three disappointing losses, Walker's perceived value is marginalized and her flaws are widely pointed out on this board. We certainly do live in a "what have you done for us lately" world.

I think it is more "where did the explosiveness go?" Often you can't really assess that until someone plays against the most talented players performing with talented teammates. We now know Megan, like Katie Lou, doesn't seem to be able to get her own shot. Needs a really good screen or a kick-out with enough space to execute a shot with a somewhat slow release. You don't get to really assess that until you play against good schemes executed by athletic and skilled opponents.

I won't put it all on Megan, and I am certainly not wishing she was playing elsewhere. Geno's failure to get a true post into the program the last several years meant that Pheesy had to play out of position last year, and it also was unfair to Megan having to play the 4. She's a wing. Making her be the most physical rebounder on the team isn't fair to her. She should be focused on improving her first step, her closing skills off the drive and getting her shot off quicker. Even her instincts on when to take the 12 footer when it is there -- she seems very often to hesitate when she gets a pass at the foul line-- almost like she doesn't sense that she is open. Geno needs her on the boards -- she's trying to play that role but it isn't what her skill set is best suited for.

I do think the TH comparisons being posted elsewhere are fair. And she may have a bump in the pros like TH did. And Pheesy did, when she gets into the right scheme and right role. I hope she does.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme on Megan Walker:

"The next step is more efficiency in UConn's biggest games. She shot just a combined 22% in games against Baylor, Tennessee and Oregon. The Huskies will need better from their best player if a 13th consecutive Final Four is to happen."

And that's on truth.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kind of a weird list IMO. Far too low are:
Michaela Onyenwere-12
Aliyah Boston-13
Ty Harris-16
Nalyssa Smith-22

Over ranked are:
Walker-8
Hebard-5
Evans-7
Carter-10
Williams-15

I just don't get how they put Harris below all 3 UCONN players immediately after she dominated the game. Cushy stats are nice but what you do in big games tells a lot more about a player IMO. Williams will get better but doesn't deserve to be on this list based on her play this season.

Reaction Score
Enjoy!
Thanks for providing this ranking--very interesting. This only affirms those of us who are critical of the team play this year and diminishes those who feel that we are being unduly harsh and have over expectations of UConn: UConn has three players who are listed in the top 15, I believe Oregon is the only other team who has this as well. Not Baylor, not SC, not Louisville. We have three players--MW CW, and CD all who are listed ahead of SC's Tyasha Harris--yet she is consistently playing lights out, and except for maybe CD, our players definitely are not... Too much expectation? I think not...

Reaction Score
Thanks for providing this ranking--very interesting. This only affirms those of us who are critical of the team play this year and diminishes those who feel that we are being unduly harsh and have over expectations of UConn: UConn has three players who are listed in the top 15, I believe Oregon is the only other team who has this as well. Not Baylor, not SC, not Louisville. We have three players--MW CW, and CD all who are listed ahead of SC's Tyasha Harris--yet she is consistently playing lights out, and except for maybe CD, our players definitely are not... Too much expectation? I think not...
Ty Harris is shooting 41.6% from the field this year. There is more margin of error for her squad with the supporting cast that Harris leads. Harris played very well against UConn and is getting pub for being a leading SEC POY candidate. Deservedly so. However, her low percentage shooting from the field this season hasn't been a problem so far for her squad because the talent level for South Carolina usually overwhelms its competition.

Reaction Score
Ty Harris is shooting 41.6% from the field this year. There is more margin of error for her squad with the supporting cast that Harris leads. Harris played very well against UConn and is getting pub for being a leading SEC POY candidate. Deservedly so. However, her low percentage shooting from the field this season hasn't been a problem so far for her squad because the talent level for South Carolina usually overwhelms its competition.
So please help me to understand: Are ESPN's calculations of collegiate top players off only for UConn because they seem to work and compute out for every other team? Oregon has three top 15 players and they are a top 5 team, SC has has two players in the top 16 and they are a top 5 team. Oregon State has a few in the top 15 and they are a top 10. UConn has three top 15 players but it doesn't translate into being a top 5 school. Question: How come this simple formula--having top players equals having a top team--pretty much works for every team except us?

bballnut90

Reaction Score

None of the guards are exactly lighting it up for SC. Cooke at 37.7%, Beal at 39.0%, Henderson at 43.5%.

Harris's numbers against Maryland, Baylor, Mississippi State and UCONN:
18.8 ppg, 7.3 apg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 TO, 40.6% FG
Team record: 4-0.

Take out the MD game where she shot just 3-14 and she's shot 46% from the floor in the 3 other games and her numbers are better across the board.

Crystal is a better shooter and scorer IMO, Ty is the far better distributor and creator. Crystal has put up very good scoring numbers agains the top 3 teams, 22-45 FG, 11-21 from 3, and averaging 20ppg. The majority of her her buckets have been her getting her own shot too. On the flip side, in those games she is only averaging 2 assists per game. Against Tennessee/Depaul it wasn't much better (3 assists and 4 assists). Comparatively, Harris seems to affect the game a lot more on the offensive side of the ball. For that, along with team success, I don't see how they rated Dangerfield ahead of Harris in terms of play this season unless they just whipped through this list (which they likely did).

Side note, Te'a Cooper or Didi Richards belongs on this list too. Richards is the most impactful player in the country for players who average under 10ppg, and Cooper is having a very good senior year for Baylor.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So please help me to understand: Are ESPN's calculations of collegiate top players off only for UConn because they seem to work and compute out for every other team? Oregon has three top 15 players and they are a top 5 team, SC has has two players in the top 16 and they are a top 5 team. Oregon State has a few in the top 15 and they are a top 10. UConn has three top 15 players but it doesn't translate into being a top 5 school. Question: How come this simple formula--having top players equals having a top team--pretty much works for every team except us?

UCONN's big 3 have nice stat lines, all averaging 15+ ppg on 45% FG, but after their top few players it's a massive drop off which is not the case for other schools. Other programs have more contributors that don't stick out as much statistically. Baylor has other really good players like Te'a Cooper, Landrum, Egbo and Richards. Oregon has very good support players in Chavez, Moore, and Boley. SC has Beal, Cooke and MHH. All of these players bring some unique elements to the table and impact the game in a variety of ways that don't show up in a box score, similar in the matter that Gabby Williams/Kelly Faris/Kia Nurse did. They improve quality of play even if they aren't getting big numbers themselves. UCONN doesn't have players like that on its roster this year who can do this consistently.

Reaction Score
I was pulling for Megan and I thought this was her breakout season. Her 18.9 points have came against unranked teams. After those three top games, I’d put Megan near the bottom of this list of players. The best players shine in the toughest atmosphere.

No way NaLyssa Smith is not in the Top 10 players.

I’d also put Boston in the Top 10 even as a freshman. I’d say she can be the player of the year next season.

I’d move Destiny Slocum and Kiana Williams up.

There a few players I’d take off this list completely and Rickea Jackson from Miss St.

Reaction Score
It is harder to change perception once it has been established than to initially create it. First impressions are harder to change. The reason that 3 Uconn players are included on this list, some even when their numbers and productions don't seem to warrant it, is because of the Uconn brand and the exposure it brings.

Reaction Score
UCONN's big 3 have nice stat lines, all averaging 15+ ppg on 45% FG, but after their top few players it's a massive drop off which is not the case for other schools. Other programs have more contributors that don't stick out as much statistically. Baylor has other really good players like Te'a Cooper, Landrum, Egbo and Richards. Oregon has very good support players in Chavez, Moore, and Boley. SC has Beal, Cooke and MHH. All of these players bring some unique elements to the table and impact the game in a variety of ways that don't show up in a box score, similar in the matter that Gabby Williams/Kelly Faris/Kia Nurse did. They improve quality of play even if they aren't getting big numbers themselves. UCONN doesn't have players like that on its roster this year who can do this consistently.
All very good points--you more than suitably answered the question that I posed...

Reaction Score
I think it is more "where did the explosiveness go?" Often you can't really assess that until someone plays against the most talented players performing with talented teammates. We now know Megan, like Katie Lou, doesn't seem to be able to get her own shot. Needs a really good screen or a kick-out with enough space to execute a shot with a somewhat slow release. You don't get to really assess that until you play against good schemes executed by athletic and skilled opponents.

I won't put it all on Megan, and I am certainly not wishing she was playing elsewhere. Geno's failure to get a true post into the program the last several years meant that Pheesy had to play out of position last year, and it also was unfair to Megan having to play the 4. She's a wing. Making her be the most physical rebounder on the team isn't fair to her. She should be focused on improving her first step, her closing skills off the drive and getting her shot off quicker. Even her instincts on when to take the 12 footer when it is there -- she seems very often to hesitate when she gets a pass at the foul line-- almost like she doesn't sense that she is open. Geno needs her on the boards -- she's trying to play that role but it isn't what her skill set is best suited for.

I do think the TH comparisons being posted elsewhere are fair. And she may have a bump in the pros like TH did. And Pheesy did, when she gets into the right scheme and right role. I hope she does.

I have not read a post as profound as yours. All should read it. I would put CW as another playing out of position and suffering.

Reaction Score

It has to do with experience playing together. UConn has a 6 player rotation and 4 of them are freshmen and sophomores. Talent and skills on an individual basis doesn't make up for experience. Tenn has had talent for the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
ReadR00ster's Top 25 player rankings:

1. Sabrina Ionescu - Oregon
2. Lauren Cox - Baylor
3. Ruthy Hebard - Oregon
4. Chennedy Carter - Texas A&M
5. Crystal Dangerfield - UConn
6. Tyasha Harris - S.Car
7. Rhyne Howard - Kentucky
8. Satou SabalIy - Oregon
9. Michaela Onyenwere - UCLA
10. Aliyah Boston - S.Car
11. Aari McDonald - Arizona
12. Elaine Cunane - NC State
13. Nalyssa Smith - Baylor
14. Mikah Herbert-Harrigan - S.Car
15. Micheala Pivec - Oregon.St
16. Dana Evans - Louisville
17. Ashley Joens - Iowa.St
18. Megan Walker - UConn
19. Rennia Davis - Tennessee
20. Didi Richards - Baylor
21. Tea Cooper - Baylor
22. Alexis Tolefree - Arkansas
23. Olivia Nelson-Ododa - UConn
24. Chelsea Dungee - Arkansas
25. Kiah Gillespie - Florida.St
Not Ranked Consider: Jordan Danberry, Christyn Williams, Destiny Slocum, Kaila Charles, Haley Jones, Bella Alaria, Haley Gorecki, Rickea Jackson, Zia Cooke, Kiara Lewis, Kiana Williams, Kathleen Doyle, Unique Thompson. Beatrice Monpremier, Ciara Duffy, Ali Pattberg, Juicy Landrum, Tynice Martin.

Reaction Score

2. Lauren Cox - Baylor
3. Ruthy Hebard - Oregon
6. Tyasha Harris - S.Car
18. Megan Walker - UConn
21. Tea Cooper - Baylor
Not Ranked Consider: Jordan Danberry, Christyn Williams, Destiny Slocum, Kaila Charles, Haley Jones, Bella Alaria, Haley Gorecki, Rickea Jackson, Zia Cooke, Kiara Lewis, Kiana Williams, Kathleen Doyle, Unique Thompson. Beatrice Monpremier, Ciara Duffy, Ali Pattberg, Juicy Landrum, Tynice Martin.
I think that these rankings are a lot closer to reality than were the others.

Reaction Score

Lauren Cox is shooting 43% from the field and averaging 11 and 8 in 29 MPG for a stacked Baylor team.

She shouldn't be #2.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is shooting 43% from the field and averaging 11 and 8 in 29 MPG for a stacked Baylor team.

She shouldn't be #2.

Also averages 3.5 assists and 2.5 blocks. Her impact defensively far greater than anyone else in the country. She straight up shuts down anyone she defends. She isn't going to fill up a stat sheet like Ionescu but she's the kind of player who will win you a title. I think 2 is a good fit even if her numbers are underwhelming.

Reaction Score

2. Lauren Cox - Baylor
3. Ruthy Hebard - Oregon
6. Tyasha Harris - S.Car
18. Megan Walker - UConn
21. Tea Cooper - Baylor
I think that the recency factor has Harris so high on the list. She is a quality court general for her strong squad, but I have never seen her as high on a national player list as #6. Check her overall stats this season.

Your list seems that it was significantly impacted by what you have seen the players do against UConn, rather than what each player has put together for the entire season for her squad.

Reaction Score

Harris and Cooke have struggled a bit making 2s, but have hit a good percentage from 3.

South Carolina has been so good on the offensive glass that some of those misses might as well be assists.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Mine would be:

2. Lauren Cox - Baylor
3. Rhyne Howard - Kentucky
4. Satou Sabally - Oregon
5. Michaela Onyenwere - UCLA
6. Nalyssa Smith - Baylor
7. Tyasha Harris - S. Car
8. Ruthy Hebard - Oregon
9. Aliyah Boston - S.Car
10. Chennedy Carter - Texas A&M
12. Mikayla Pivec - Oregon St
13. Crystal Dangerfield - UConn
14. Kaila Charles - Maryland
15. Megan Walker - UConn
16. Elaine Cunane - NC State
17. Dana Evans - Louisville
18. Didi Richards - Baylor
20. Kathleen Doyle - Iowa
21. Kiah Gillespie - Florida State
22. Ashley Joens - Iowa St.
23. Rickea Jackson - Mississippi State
25. Te'a Cooper - Baylor

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen enough games to make any thorough comments. But I’ll make some:

In terms of the UConn kids, I’m happy to see Meg at #8, but she still has more to prove in big games. She did well against USA, but not Baylor, Oregon, or S.C. She needs to talk to Stewie about how to turn it on in March.

I think Crystal, despite reduced assists, deserves to be about 8-12. She’s scoring more and has become a team leader.

I don’t see Christyn in the top 25. She’s had some good games, but too many poor ones. I think she’s definitely a top 25 player, but isn’t playing like it.

In terms of others:

I wasn’t sure about Sabrina until the last few weeks. I had her clearly top 3, but after the Stanford and UConn games, she has my top ranking for the season.

I like both Hebard and Sabally. How high? I’m not sure, but at least one of them is in the top 10.

Chennedy Carter is top 10 or so, but not #3, which was her pre-season rank.

N.C. State keeps winning. Cunane deserves recognition.

I like Dana Evans, but maybe 10-15.

Pivec has to be top 10. She’s skilled and tough.

Ty Harris is top 10, based at least on the UConn game. Boston should be top 25, and Herbert Harrigan might be. The S.C. seniors have really improved, so kudos to them and Dawn. Boston is better than I thought, with her face-up shot (and roughly 80% FT shooting).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom